Solar Eclipse 2017 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Chez Ziggy' started by crgildart, Aug 9, 2017.

1. AeroSKI5150

AeroSKI5150 MikeChuckNorris Skier

Tricia likes this.
  2. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Booting up Skier

I can't remember when Tony mentioned that Jackson Hole was the place to be and shortly after he started emailing them. We are talking at least over one year ago.

As started in another discussion, I know Tony mentioned that I would mark April 8, 2024 on my calendar, especially with totality moving over some ski areas. I just decided to add skiing under a total eclipse to my bucket list.

As some of you might know, I went to Oregon for one week which included some skiing, but also trips and detours to Mt St Helens, Crater Lake and the Oregon Coast. When skiing, I bumped into someone that skied that day (and pointed me to this video below). I asked him if the lifts were running and the answer was affirmative. I thought that Mt Hood was in totality (I confess, I didn't look it up), but notice is was just slightly off. The person I skied with said it was pretty cool to see the shadow move beyond Mt Hood.

No actual video of the sun, but you can see the impressions on the skiers, racers, etc and the sky changing.

3. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

Just 30 to 50 miles south of Mt Hood/Timberline had totality. Warm Springs, Madras or Mitchell (where I was)

4. at_nyc

at_nyc Getting off the lift Pass Pulled

Just heard on the radio some people got the fake solar eclipse glasses (through Amazon, according to the report) and got their eyes burned. Seriously. (my understanding the damage is permanent).

It's sad it happened. But then, the radio guys went like "they must have bought the cheapest on the market", which made me SICK!

There's no easy way for buyers to test the glasses. So the fault is on the irresponsible seller. But I guess it's a good laughing matter for the radio announcer. (sigh)

5. Eleeski

Eleeski Making fresh tracks Skier

Just yesterday I saw a Lexus still painted up from the eclipse. They saw it from Sun Valley and were staying beach front in Mission Beach.

I did wonder about the painted up Honda I saw in Salton City last week. They looked like Burning Man participants.

Both were stoked and eager to share the experience. Brought people together.

I should have decorated my Cessna.

Eric

Tricia likes this.

6. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

7. TonyC

TonyC Contact me at bestsnow.net Pass Pulled

I finally collected some pics from varied sources and put up a report on the eclipse and our wedding on Rendezvous Peak:
    http://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/20170821JacksonEclipseWedding.html

This TR, my other solar eclipses and some other adventures are now on my website: http://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/triprpts.htm
    This is the beginning of the process of posting some highlight TR's as discussed in the thread about MadPatSki's monthly ski streak.
    https://forum.pugski.com/threads/oc...reak-may-stall-at-144.6631/page-2#post-162511

8. Eleeski

Eleeski Making fresh tracks Skier

blimp eclipse.jpg

Philpug and Snowfan like this.