• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solar Eclipse 2017 Discussion Thread

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
upload_2017-8-15_21-45-3.png

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
So, are people still able to find eclipse glasses? Local store seems to be sold out of them. So does many online sources.

I'm one of those who don't care enough to travel to totality zone. And I'm not even going to take the day off on Monday. But, the partial eclipse in New York last for like 2 HOURS! I could, if I'm not too wrapped up with work, go outside and take a peek! (OK, STARE for a minute!)

That is, if I can find some eye protection to look through.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Weather forecast here is mostly cloudy at peak and clouding up more as it wanes.. On the bright side, that would probably mean more darkness at peak right??

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I live a few miles South of Madras,Or. Close the gate and stall the horses. Shitshow approaching.
we refer to ourselves more often as a gong show (it's a Canadian thing) do close your gate just leave us room to park in front of it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, are people still able to find eclipse glasses? Local store seems to be sold out of them. So does many online sources.

I'm one of those who don't care enough to travel to totality zone. And I'm not even going to take the day off on Monday. But, the partial eclipse in New York last for like 2 HOURS! I could, if I'm not too wrapped up with work, go outside and take a peek! (OK, STARE for a minute!)

That is, if I can find some eye protection to look through.
I ordered some from Amazon that are ISO 12312-2 certified. When I placed the order with 2 day shipping the order page said they were available. When I got the shipping notice they said backordered with an expected shipping date of August 23.
B & H Photography seems to have some that are available by the 20th.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you can you should try to stop by a sciency place local to you where . Usually libraries, schools or related. it will be easier than trying to track down glasses.

this is like the main event for the amateur astronomers to share their hobby, and typically they'll set up their eclipse prepared telescope and have projection boxes that everyone can take turns and can share glasses. especially if you arent in totality most people will look for maybe 30sec and have their fill and ready to share.

that being said, if you're set on keeping to yourself, i suggest stopping by a welding supply store (not just homedepot) and asking about the welding lenses before you just say f it and only use your solx ski goggles. there should be easy supply there.

however despite what NASA says, and this is at your own risk; the practicality is rarely any welding supply carries shade14 lens. so most likely you can pick up shade 13 and limit your exposure and take breaks. the math says that over 12 is barely acceptable. Or try stacking (but should be way over compensating like a 10 and a 9), not just 10+4 =14.
but you can test beforehand and the sun should be extremely comfortable to look at and very dim.
your skiing on the slopes with the wrong goggle choice for a day probably causes more damage than watching the eclipse with a shade 12 lens instead of a 14.

again this is against nasa advice so again at your own risk, but its a better alternative than wasting hours trying to find eclipse shades and getting frustrated and looking with your ski goggles.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Apparently many on the internet are unsafe counterfeits.
That's why I prefer to get them from a brick-and-mortar store.

Thanks Tricia for the heads up on B&H. It's just 1/2hr from me so I went and pick them up.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Potential Hurricane for the Total Solar Eclipse :eek:

This Hurricane's name is Gert. My grandma's name was Gert. My grandma was a spunky little lady, but she was kind. Hopefully this Hurricane will be less spunky and more kind.

If you get it right and have the eye of the hurricane and totality coincide - what an experience!

So @TonyC do you choose cashing in those odds to see that eclipse or win the lottery?

Eric

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Friend who offered to BBQ for us in Bend this weekend reported gas shortages in Central OR. Hopefully it was caused by travelers to at least one big event that started today and can be resolved by increased deliveries. See http://www.kgw.com/mb/news/eclipse/...reported-at-central-oregon-stations/465012913

Friend and his wife who are both in health care were told no days off as they may be needed and hospitals want employees at work, not stuck in traffic.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is also a concern of cell phone issues because of the amount of people who will be taking photos and uploading them to social media...this is getting to to the crazyness of Y2K.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Cell towers, gas shortages, all kinds of infrastructure stress as everyone with free time from Canada to Mexico packs in to a coast to coast sliver of real estate 70 miles wide.

Amazon cancelled our eclipse glasses order and didn't even send a notice telling Mrs crgildart. Still have the arc welding goggles which are just OK for short peeks but not staring and gawking. A friend got some and has some extras they are going to give us. Will see how many we end up with along with how many neighborhood kids in the yard with our kids will be needing something. I also make one of the shoe box viewers and tested it today.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cell towers, gas shortages, all kinds of infrastructure stress as everyone with free time from Canada to Mexico packs in to a coast to coast sliver of real estate 70 miles wide.

Amazon cancelled our eclipse glasses order and didn't even send a notice telling Mrs crgildart. Still have the arc welding goggles which are just OK for short peeks but not staring and gawking. A friend got some and has some extras they are going to give us. Will see how many we end up with along with how many neighborhood kids in the yard with our kids will be needing something. I also make one of the shoe box viewers and tested it today.
I ordered some from Amazon that are ISO 12312-2 certified. When I placed the order with 2 day shipping the order page said they were available. When I got the shipping notice they said backordered with an expected shipping date of August 23.
B & H Photography seems to have some that are available by the 20th.
Ironically, I got a notice from both B & H and Amazon that they shipped the glasses last night, so I'll have extras - 8 pair total, in case someone wants an extra pair.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just fried my eyes testing my fancy welding helmet. The sun doesn't reliably trip the auto darkening. It will be way worse with an eclipse darkened sun. I doubt I can find my antique solid lens helmet. Eclipse glasses it is!

Eric

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
When I was in B & H, I thought I'd take a look at solar filters for camera. Holy crap, it's $150!

I guess I wouldn't be taking any pictures. After all, I'm only in the partial zone. Not worth getting too excited about.

Sponsor

Staff online