• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solar Eclipse 2017 Discussion Thread

Posaune

sliding
Skier
It's almost over here. The skies were completely clear and the sun was covered over 90 percent, but it only got a little dimmer than normal. The most noticeable differences were that it was darker inside than it would be on a regular sunny day and the sun was not warm.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For those who miss total...there will be a replay of the effects tonight when it gets dark. Pics on the web for a direct view. Sorry...remember the total in SD in the early 90-s I think and it just didn't impress me.

I am looking forward to traffic jam and tent city photos although the media will probably pull from their files for those.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
2024, Sugarloaf, Carrabassett Valley, Maine. 4240 Ft., Maine's second highest peak. One of New England longest ski seasons. We'll be there. Won't worry about clear skies, yet.

As I'm watching this on TV, I'm thinking that we really should have made plans to see it.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mont Megantic in QC is dark sky certified. Looking into a trip there sometime.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
After it passed by here I watched in online in Caspar. The online version is extra cool since they turned up the sensitivity after the sun was completely covered and you could see solar flares until they had to turn it down when the sun came back. I doubt you could see that with your eyeballs.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
After it passed by here I watched in online in Caspar. The online version is extra cool since they turned up the sensitivity after the sun was completely covered and you could see solar flares until they had to turn it down when the sun came back. I doubt you could see that with your eyeballs.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stupid Michigan. Have seen it starting, but pretty much right on schedule in came the 20% chance of rain clouds. Probably won't get to see the max here.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In Reno we had about 75-80% coverage. The biggest difference was the temperature drop. I could do eclipse all summer long! I have photos but need to make them smaller.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Not real dark, but the street lights came on. Surprising it didn't get darker with only that thin sliver of sun showing (98.6%). Guess I should have made the hour drive south to Lincoln, NE. My mother-in-law in Lincoln had 18 overnight guests for the eclipse.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yay, clouds broke up! Didn't look like they were going to move off that quickly, but they did.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
scott43 - got similar pics on my phone. We turned the binoculars backwards. Only about 70-75% here. Now I have 7 years to get those glasses which I didn't see anyone selling around town. And with all the welding gear we have in the shop, nothing at shade 14. Shad 10, not 14. But I got the guys to clear up the helmets.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Not much of a show here in eastern Massachusetts. We're much too far north to have seen much anyway. Clouds have been building throughout the day, but still was able to see a little something. Mr. Sun definitely wasn't entirely there, it got "dim" (like early evening) and it cooled off somewhat.

I still think Eddington's use of a solar eclipse to prove that Einstein was right (https://www.space.com/37018-solar-eclipse-proved-einstein-relativity-right.html) is one of the most mind-boggling things ever... That Einstein came up with the theory, that Eddington realized it could be tested during an eclipse, and that they happened to get an eclipse right away is just :eek::eek:.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
that they happened to get an eclipse right away is just :eek::eek:.
Not really "right away". WWI got in the way.

They had to wait till 1919. Lucky for Einstein, he made a calculation mistake back in 1414, which was NOT detected. By 1919, he had re-done the calculation and corrected the previous mistake. So Eddington's eclipse picture confirmed it.

Anyway, the weather in NYC were very good the first half. So I did go out and got a bunch of pictures. Surprised at how well it turned out, with relatively primitive setup. The Sun stayed out past the max coverage, and a bit longer. Then the cloud came in.

It's actually quite fascinating watching the clouds coming and going. I guess it always does that. But it took the eclipse to motivate me to some glasses that allow me to look at the sun. The benefit is I get to see the cloud dancing in front of the sun. Kind of wild.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Not really "right away". WWI got in the way.

They had to wait till 1919. Lucky for Einstein, he made a calculation mistake back in 1414, which was NOT detected. By 1919, he had re-done the calculation and corrected the previous mistake. So Eddington's eclipse picture confirmed it.

Einstein was alive in 1414? I knew the dude always looked old, but I didn't realize he was that old. :cool:

Ok, not "right away", but given the relative rarity of solar eclipses, they happened to get one at an opportune time.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Einstein was alive in 1414? I knew the dude always looked old, but I didn't realize he was that old. :cool:

Ok, not "right away", but given the relative rarity of solar eclipses, they happened to get one at an opportune time.
Eclipse aren't THAT rare. It's only rare in people who stay in one place. These astronomer guys were travelling all over the world for several years trying to get some pictures of the eclipse. It took them that long to finally got one when it wasn't raining, or in the war zone.

The first expedition was in 1414 (I think). TWO teams were dispatched to the Crimea. One was arrested by the Russian because they were thought to be German spy. But it wouldn't have mattered because it rained. So the 2nd team didn't get any pictures. There were I think 2 more that didn't yield any result.

(Kevin, I'm not trying to be a smart-*s. But I just went through the history of that whole episode last week, cross-checked from multiple sources).

I'm most impressed how they could take photographs with primitive equipment of their days, and got accurate measurements out of them!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Watching it from JH......on TV, while sitting in Boston. Weather looks perfect.

The reporter just mentioned a couple of "ski buffs" who are eclipse chasers who are getting married right after totality. He has seen 11, she has seen nine.

Interesting.........
Did you see Tony, Liz and their crew at the top of the tram? They had quite an event there!

2024, Sugarloaf, KIngfield Maine. 4240 Ft., Maine's second highest peak. One of New England longest ski seasons. We'll be there. Won't worry about clear skies, yet.

As I'm watching this on TV, I'm thinking that we really should have made plans to see it.
It was worth it here in Reno, even though it wasn't totality, it got a little darker(not a lot) and definitely got colder.
I ended up putting the glasses up next to the lens on our 18-200mm DLSR Lens and got a few decent shots.
fullsizeoutput_4727-jpeg.28280

In Reno we had about 75-80% coverage. The biggest difference was the temperature drop. I could do eclipse all summer long! I have photos but need to make them smaller.
You can also use an image address from your Facebook shots.
Andy's Images as posted on FB
21013810_10210779214418370_7899466133903555675_o.jpg

20901735_10210779212498322_6294387279932381197_o.jpg

20988841_10210779217738453_5264518430900693915_o.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online