• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
10 pin.

Lawn Darts have an even higher mortality rate - even if you're wearing a helmet. ;)

That's 'cause lawn darts originated in ancient Greet and Roman around 500BCE, from a war weapon called a plumbata. Basically the same thing as lawn darts: weighted spikes thrown from a distance with the intention of landing somewhere soft however the ancient Romans weren't aiming for a plastic circle. A war 'game'. But, hey, let's package that up and sell it for kids!:doh:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Sadly, no. :(

https://www.worldsultimate.net/most-dangerous-sports.htm

#27 on the list
Lawn Bowls is a really popular game but most dangerous sports as well. This game is the highest death claimer worldwide. The players are deeply involved in the game till their last breath. They stop at nothing short of victory, in their pursuit. Those who escape death end up with bruises, torn knees, broken hips and bone fractures. The game generates extreme stresses resulting in strokes and even heart attack.​

Rule #1 of the internet: take anything you read on the net with a grain of salt. Multiple web sites have a lawn bowling description that is exactly the same - word for word - that makes it sound like an extremely dangerous sport. Your description is identical. Those descriptions on the web are surely satire. Happens all the time. One site posts something satirical, other sites literally cut & paste (uh, steal) the post - but miss the context & blindly imply the satire as fact.

Just search "lawn bowl" on youtube & watch. It's a very low impact sport. Think croquet or bocce ball.

PS: as a kid, I spent numerous days watching my grandfather do lawn bowl and bocce ball with his buddies...

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Rule #1 of the internet: take anything you read on the net with a grain of salt. Multiple web sites have a lawn bowling description that is exactly the same - word for word - that makes it sound like an extremely dangerous sport. Your description is identical. Those descriptions on the web are surely satire. Happens all the time. One site posts something satirical, other sites literally cut & paste (uh, steal) the post - but miss the context & blindly imply the satire as fact.

Just search "lawn bowl" on youtube & watch. It's a very low impact sport. Think croquet or bocce ball.

PS: as a kid, I spent numerous days watching my grandfather do lawn bowl and bocce ball with his buddies...

Yep. It's satire. When I raced motorbikes and was into hang gliding my dear old mum was a trifle concerned. Used to tell her at least I didn't play lawn bowls...

(My wife OTOH wasn't concerned at all. There's a lesson in there somewhere...:cool:)

The activity that seems to get the worst headlines in Australia is rock fishing. Why people want to fish for rocks is beyond me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yep. It's satire. When I raced motorbikes and was into hang gliding my dear old mum was a trifle concerned. Used to tell her at least I didn't play lawn bowls...

(My wife OTOH wasn't concerned at all. There's a lesson in there somewhere...:cool:)

The activity that seems to get the worst headlines in Australia is rock fishing. Why people want to fish for rocks is beyond me.
Do they do "noodling" in Australia?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do they do "noodling" in Australia?

As far as I am aware no-one here has their own TV show for that.

But it usually means something different...warning for anyone with a low boredom threshold.

TS
Samoro

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Swimming is very good exercise.
So is Tai Chi ( https://www.taoist.org/ is excellent Tai Chi, highly recommended if you can avoid getting sucked into their cult, or if you don't mind same).

I would support Tai Chi. I just started to attend classes, twice a week, in order to improve my growing rigidity and loss of equilibrium. My first impression is that it may be useful for my goals; in the past it was even proposed as a technical tool for improving skiing (http://www.modernskiracing.com/WaistSteering.php) of which I am rather doubtful.
But for real exercise, enjoyment and competition, my “other” favourite sport is tennis, three-four days a week.

Reactions: eok

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Sadly, no. :(

https://www.worldsultimate.net/most-dangerous-sports.htm

#27 on the list
Lawn Bowls is a really popular game but most dangerous sports as well. This game is the highest death claimer worldwide. The players are deeply involved in the game till their last breath. They stop at nothing short of victory, in their pursuit. Those who escape death end up with bruises, torn knees, broken hips and bone fractures. The game generates extreme stresses resulting in strokes and even heart attack.​
Because of the high number of participants the death and injury rate skew the results.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Late to the party.

I am 62, I still ski at a fairly high level (at least in my mind) but I do it a little slower for fewer hours and lower mileage and I ski with less abandon and more caution. That said, I still seek out tougher lines and trails. Staying in shape is key. Hoping to keep going into my 80's and will probably, hopefully at some point just be la-de-da-ing down blue groomers and will still be enjoying being a skier.

Many posts ago someone mentioned some advice about not skiing a slope that looks great but no one is skiing it. At one time that would have been a personal challenge to me and would draw me like a magnet. I have encountered some truly challenging conditions on runs like that and it has made me a better skier. However, when I pay attention to my aging body it tells me, better not. At my age I don't always pay attention and if I feel I can rise to the challenge that is calling me I will still answer.

Ask me again in 10.

James

Out There
Instructor
Did you know the clock on top of the Info booth in Grand Central Terminal is worth millions? Like 10-20 million dollars. Each of the faces is an opal.

IMG_6442.JPG

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
YES. Getting rid of the ball & Chain. Regret lack of success this year.
Will give you a lot more energy. :bikewheelie:

Best way to lose weight? Ski more. A lot more. As in hours per day, days per week and weeks per season. A bit of vigor helps - that can be hard to do when constrained by something physical however any movement which increases metabolic rate helps. Especially when it involves increased breathing.

Not sure how well known - 84% of weight loss occurs through exhalation of CO2 and 16% through water.

Majority of weight loss occurs 'via breathing' according to the study.

The researchers chose to follow the path of these atoms when leaving the body. They found that when 10 kg of fat were oxidized, 8.4 kg were converted and excreted as carbon dioxide (CO2) via the lungs, and 1.6 kg became water (H20).

Skiing would seem to be a pretty good form of exercise for the purpose. It is high intensity interval training - well, as high intensity as we wish, and then we have a rest on the lift. (And frequent slope-side stops too :)). Can also be low impact unlike bashing feet and knees running on asphalt.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A bit of vigor helps - that can be hard to do when constrained by something physical however any movement which increases metabolic rate helps. Especially when it involves increased breathing.

Heavy breathing? That vigor thing sounds a lot more like sex than skiing.

Come to think of it, I am sure I can stand to lose a few pounds.
I think I'll take up this new weight loss regiment with Mrs. Grump and see what she has to say. :D

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Over the last few years I've put on weight, but gotten stronger from weight lifting. I do my stretching as well, something I kept up since my younger basketball days. Due to my back, I stick to an elliptical for my cardio. My body feels so much better after a good gym session and if I miss my regular days I start to feel old and stiff. Okay, I'm only 60, but I have my standards to maintain!:ogcool:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Heavy breathing? That vigor thing sounds a lot more like sex than skiing.

Come to think of it, I am sure I can stand to lose a few pounds.
I think I'll take up this new weight loss regiment with Mrs. Grump and see what she has to say. :D

Yep. May work. Probably.

Can you keep at it for 5 to 6 hours per day?:duck:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Now it take me all night to do what I used to do all night. :rolleyes:

Now there's an idea for supercharging weight lose. Ski all day and .... all night. :cool:

(In any event it's possible this could develop into quite a discussion. After all we often have threads that run on for pages about the most efficient, energy saving ski technique. :popcorn:)

Sponsor