• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
How long do you want to live after you quit skiing?

I don't. I want to go like my buddy who finished up a lesson, skied to the bottom of the hill and keeled over, dying with his boots on.

To the OP: Can you walk comfortably? Maybe walking to where you can birdwatch? Maybe doing scenic photography? I get a kick out of the latter.
5563131.jpg
5595625.jpg

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
The whole point of my question, admittedly not terribly clear in my original phrasing, was what can someone who's beat up from a life time of skiing and has a genetically inferior spine i.e. pretty compromised physically, substitute for skiing as the number of days forcibly declines from season to season? Most of the classic golden year physical pursuits (golf, tennis, bocce ball, etc.) are off the table. Saying that more strengthening exercise is the place to start, even with physical therapy, unfortunately, is off the table as they may have actually contributed to my accelerated decline with regards to my spine. Please don't say I'm doing it wrong, as I've been doing skiing and spinal focused exercises + PT for many years with very good results ...... until now. I do have several minimally physical activities, but was hoping for something new to experience the wonderful joy and excitement of that addictive logarithmic part of the learning curve.

And, while there certainly are things worse than death, I'm of the opinion that being unable to ski is not one of them.

That all sounds horribly depressing - sorry. I fully expect to be skiing for at least a few more years, and right now it's a beautiful spring day! Pain and infirmity, "I fart in your general direction"!

Playstation. More simulation than games. There's even skiing simulations.

Gaphics getting better and better. For a time can immerse yourself in your own little world.

If people don't think it's exciting (in it's own way) they've never tried to do a hot lap at the (virtual) Isle of Man TT or been in a mass online dogfight with other keyboard warriors.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
The whole point of my question, admittedly not terribly clear in my original phrasing, was what can someone who's beat up from a life time of skiing and has a genetically inferior spine i.e. pretty compromised physically, substitute for skiing as the number of days forcibly declines from season to season? Most of the classic golden year physical pursuits (golf, tennis, bocce ball, etc.) are off the table. Saying that more strengthening exercise is the place to start, even with physical therapy, unfortunately, is off the table as they may have actually contributed to my accelerated decline with regards to my spine. Please don't say I'm doing it wrong, as I've been doing skiing and spinal focused exercises + PT for many years with very good results ...... until now. I do have several minimally physical activities, but was hoping for something new to experience the wonderful joy and excitement of that addictive logarithmic part of the learning curve.

And, while there certainly are things worse than death, I'm of the opinion that being unable to ski is not one of them.

That all sounds horribly depressing - sorry. I fully expect to be skiing for at least a few more years, and right now it's a beautiful spring day! Pain and infirmity, "I fart in your general direction"!

This might sound humorous to some, but: competitive bowling. I know several "senior" skiers that bowl competitively in leagues & tournaments - as do I. Sure, you can be like "The Dude", be woefully out of shape and bowl like a slob (not judging, if this is you). But most the 'dudes I bowl with take it real serious, exercise/train & practice a lot. How else are you going to be able to propel a 15lb+ ball down the lane at 17mph+ and maintain a high average score? Bowling is basically a constant seeking of perfection in a battle with the laws of physics. Sound familiar?

Competitive bowling has a few characteristics in common with skiing. #1 is you have to develop fairly precise body mechanics so you can deliver the ball with consistency every time (problem is, you're human, so perfection is fragile). You always have to contend with changing conditions (nowadays, robotic machines lay varying types of oil patterns on the lanes to raise/lower the difficulty - and as you bowl the oil transitions which you have to adapt to). Then there's the gear. Performance bowling ball 'tech development and techie marketing is quite reminiscent of ski stuff. Symmetrical/asymmetrical core designs, exotic materials and... yes, even hyped model names. There's even general parallels between performance ball 'tech and ski 'tech: low RG ball, more hook: SL; medium RG ball, less hook: GS; high RG ball, least hook: SG/DH.

Lastly, there's some similarities between bowling and skiing in the social factor: you're enjoying the sport with your friends. And there's beer.

PS to the OP: There are all sorts of senior bowling leagues. Bowling can be done in a low impact fashion. At the facility I bowl we have several senior bowlers with back & knee issues that employ a low impact style. Some bowling facilities have coaches that help senior bowlers (or bowlers with disabilities) develop.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do have several minimally physical activities, but was hoping for something new to experience the wonderful joy and excitement of that addictive logarithmic part of the learning curve.
Consider masters swimming. Learning a swim stroke (or four) is a life-long endeavor like skiing and competing in meets against others your age (and your previous best times) is a blast. Swimming is also one of the best exercises for bad backs and you can do it year round. Might just keep you skiing longer.

Find a local masters swim team and chat with the coach:
https://www.usms.org/

Or lurk on the forum to get an idea:
http://forums.usms.org/

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
So for those of us that have been skiing for most of our lives, what would be a good sport to take up in our dotage that's the equivalent of age appropriate skiing?

Asking for a friend.

+1 for sailing. I know many skiers who sail (or is it sailors who ski?). I started both decades ago and find the many things similar that attract me to both. Being in the outdoors, dealing with the weather, the satisfaction of developing skills, etc. Lots of senior skiers in my yacht club that would never consider skiing, so it is a sport that you can continue to enjoy as your physical abilities decline.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This might sound humorous to some, but: competitive bowling. I know several "senior" skiers that bowl competitively in leagues & tournaments - as do I. Sure, you can be like "The Dude", be woefully out of shape and bowl like a slob (not judging, if this is you). But most the 'dudes I bowl with take it real serious, exercise/train & practice a lot. How else are you going to be able to propel a 15lb+ ball down the lane at 17mph+ and maintain a high average score? Bowling is basically a constant seeking of perfection in a battle with the laws of physics. Sound familiar?

Competitive bowling has a few characteristics in common with skiing. #1 is you have to develop fairly precise body mechanics so you can deliver the ball with consistency every time (problem is, you're human, so perfection is fragile). You always have to contend with changing conditions (nowadays, robotic machines lay varying types of oil patterns on the lanes to raise/lower the difficulty - and as you bowl the oil transitions which you have to adapt to). Then there's the gear. Performance bowling ball 'tech development and techie marketing is quite reminiscent of ski stuff. Symmetrical/asymmetrical core designs, exotic materials and... yes, even hyped model names. There's even general parallels between performance ball 'tech and ski 'tech: low RG ball, more hook: SL; medium RG ball, less hook: GS; high RG ball, least hook: SG/DH.

Lastly, there's some similarities between bowling and skiing in the social factor: you're enjoying the sport with your friends. And there's beer.

PS to the OP: There are all sorts of senior bowling leagues. Bowling can be done in a low impact fashion. At the facility I bowl we have several senior bowlers with back & knee issues that employ a low impact style. Some bowling facilities have coaches that help senior bowlers (or bowlers with disabilities) develop.
This is a good write up and is a great suggestion. The only thing I would add is some of the custom ball drilling maybe similar to mounting a binding in front or behind the mid boot mark.

Reactions: eok

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This might sound humorous to some, but: competitive bowling. I know several "senior" skiers that bowl competitively in leagues & tournaments -
My aunt, who is 89, still bowls twice a week in a league, and was proud that she had bowled a 260 when I saw her a couple weeks back. She said that wasn't as good as when she was younger, but she was proud that she could still bowl that well. She and my late uncle have bowled since they first met. They danced weekly for many decades as well.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
This is a good write up and is a great suggestion. The only thing I would add is some of the custom ball drilling maybe similar to mounting a binding in front or behind the mid boot mark.

I see bowling ball drilling to be more like ball "fitting" - which is basically orienting & fitting the bowlers hand to the ball - an art/craft/science similar boot fitting. And, like skiing, finding a skilled reputable pro shop is important - or some bowlers really get into the 'tech side & learn how to do the ball fitting and tuning themselves.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
My aunt, who is 89, still bowls twice a week in a league, and was proud that she had bowled a 260 when I saw her a couple weeks back. She said that wasn't as good as when she was younger, but she was proud that she could still bowl that well. She and my late uncle have bowled since they first met. They danced weekly for many decades as well.

I bowl in one or two competitive senior bowling leagues every winter season. I'm in my 60s and sometimes find myself somewhat of a youngster in those senior leagues. Some of the senior bowlers are 80+ and carry averages in the 180s to 190s (impressive). Some bowlers have disabilities, employ a simpler low impact technique and bowl with lighter equipment. They can still manage good scores. Basically: if you can still walk & pick up a can of soup , you can bowl & have fun.

League bowling employs a handicap system to level the playing field in competition. I usually bowl on a team with good bowlers with low handicaps. We will lose to a team of much less skilled bowlers if they bowl at their average and we struggle to bowl ours.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
And you can buy a ball spinner and set up a work area in your garage for cleaning, sanding, polishing your quiver of bowling balls. Yes, a quiver! You cannot have just one. I knew someone who had an entire room of their house dedicated to storing bowling balls.

Uncle-A

Skier
I see bowling ball drilling to be more like ball "fitting" - which is basically orienting & fitting the bowlers hand to the ball - an art/craft/science similar boot fitting. And, like skiing, finding a skilled reputable pro shop is important - or some bowlers really get into the 'tech side & learn how to do the ball fitting and tuning themselves.
Fitting the finger hole size may be like boot fitting, positioning the holes is more like binding mounting. Drilling a bowling ball is is not as easy as it looks. Your drilling on a sphere and if you don't do it correctly the middle finger and the ring finger holes will meet at the bottom.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Is this 10 pin bowling or lawn bowls (played outdoors)?

If lawn bowls I would be very wary. It has one of the highest per participant death rate of any sport.:eek:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier

If lawn bowls I would be very wary. It has one of the highest per participant death rate of any sport.:eek:

10 pin.

Lawn Darts have an even higher mortality rate - even if you're wearing a helmet. ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Well playing with Walter could be dangerous...

One of the best openings ever:

I tried to go to that Googie style bowling alley in Hollywood quite some time ago when I was in LA. But, it had been torn down a few years before.

Uncle-A

Skier

Your kidding of course.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Your kidding of course.

Sadly, no. :(

https://www.worldsultimate.net/most-dangerous-sports.htm

#27 on the list
Lawn Bowls is a really popular game but most dangerous sports as well. This game is the highest death claimer worldwide. The players are deeply involved in the game till their last breath. They stop at nothing short of victory, in their pursuit. Those who escape death end up with bruises, torn knees, broken hips and bone fractures. The game generates extreme stresses resulting in strokes and even heart attack.​

Sponsor

Staff online