• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Swimming in shark infested waters between strolls on the beach is what the wife has planned when we age out of skiing. The mountains are home for now. The beach looms as my prison sentence. Showing up to ski everyday keeps me anchored to the mountains.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
So while you're at it in those mountains, be sure you have an annual physical with a complete blood count. The latter is what sent me searching for a better supply of oxygen in the air. I was "normal" for eleven years in the mountains and suddenly my body started reacting to the lack of oxygen at 10K feet by producing more red blood cells, making the blood too thick for the heart to pump efficiently. There are no symptoms to tell you you're stressing your heart until it's too late.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Best way to lose weight? Ski more. A lot more. As in hours per day, days per week and weeks per season. A bit of vigor helps - that can be hard to do when constrained by something physical however any movement which increases metabolic rate helps. Especially when it involves increased breathing.

Not sure how well known - 84% of weight loss occurs through exhalation of CO2 and 16% through water.

Majority of weight loss occurs 'via breathing' according to the study.

The researchers chose to follow the path of these atoms when leaving the body. They found that when 10 kg of fat were oxidized, 8.4 kg were converted and excreted as carbon dioxide (CO2) via the lungs, and 1.6 kg became water (H20).

Skiing would seem to be a pretty good form of exercise for the purpose. It is high intensity interval training - well, as high intensity as we wish, and then we have a rest on the lift. (And frequent slope-side stops too :). Can also be low impact unlike bashing feet and knees running on asphalt.
The quickest and I believe best way to lose weight is to not eat. Exercise speeds the process but is optional. On day one it's easy to shed 5lbs, day 2, a couple more. If you need day 3, you started too late.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Not supplying nutrients to the body is probably the worst thing you can do.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Not supplying nutrients to the body is probably the worst thing you can do.

"The body" can get along just fine for quite some time without a fresh supply of "nutrients". fasting is GOOD FOR YOU. Even at 30 days, a healthy person is not "stressed" for nutrition.

Then you can "breakfast".

Afterwards, start the cycle of indulgence all over again ;-)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
The quickest and I believe best way to lose weight is to not eat. Exercise speeds the process but is optional. On day one it's easy to shed 5lbs, day 2, a couple more. If you need day 3, you started too late.

Well, you'll still lose the weight (84%) by breathing it out as CO2.

As I understand it there are some issues with the zero or low intake approach. Not eating means the body lowers metabolic rate as we've evolved or best chance of surviving famine. Not only that, we've evolved to then max out on fats and sugars when available to get ready for the next famine.

Hence many people go from losing weight with low intake diet to then immediately gaining even more weight when the inevitable happens. (Sadly, there are people who carry lack of eating to an extreme and pay a huge price.)

In any event the intent is to enjoy life and ski as long and hard as we wish. :daffy:Not be fainting mid-run or staring morosely :eek: as our ski buds :popcorn::rocks::wine:.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Swimming in shark infested waters between strolls on the beach is what the wife has planned when we age out of skiing. The mountains are home for now. The beach looms as my prison sentence. Showing up to ski everyday keeps me anchored to the mountains.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Speaking as someone who at age 50 went from about 95kg to under 80kg in less than six months, while increasing beer consumption from near-zero to an average 2 liters/day, the trick is to cut out junk food, not eat after 7 p.m., and get a little exercise each day.
I have acquaintances who swear by the Atkins, the Zone, the Paleo, the Macrobiotic, etc, etc. and not one of them has ever successfully maintained a weight loss.
Exercise and responsible nutrition :micdrop:

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Well, you'll still lose the weight (84%) by breathing it out as CO2.

As I understand it there are some issues with the zero or low intake approach. Not eating means the body lowers metabolic rate as we've evolved or best chance of surviving famine. Not only that, we've evolved to then max out on fats and sugars when available to get ready for the next famine.

Hence many people go from losing weight with low intake diet to then immediately gaining even more weight when the inevitable happens. (Sadly, there are people who carry lack of eating to an extreme and pay a huge price.)

In any event the intent is to enjoy life and ski as long and hard as we wish. :daffy:Not be fainting mid-run or staring morosely :eek: as our ski buds :popcorn::rocks::wine:.
While I am sure quitting the eating habit will certainly produce weight loss, the post was an attempt at humor.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I spent 10 yrs in Kill Devil Hills NC and skied 2 full months a year (January & April). Far more time then I'm getting on the hill now.

Just don't surf alone early morning or at twilight. (big splash next to me one evening) You are usually fine if you see dolphins around and no flashy stuff attached to your body. The beach is a special place especially in the off season.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I spent 10 yrs in Kill Devil Hills NC and skied 2 full months a year (January & April). Far more time then I'm getting on the hill now.

Just don't surf alone early morning or at twilight. (big splash next to me one evening) You are usually fine if you see dolphins around and no flashy stuff attached to your body. The beach is a special place especially in the off season.
Love the Outer Banks and I have family still living there, next to the mountains and the Jersey shore it is my go to place.

GinBuck

What's a mogul?
Skier
Let gravity work for you.

Ch-ch-ch-changes. For me, it's been a change of attitude. (Forgive me, I'm having troubles getting this idea to gel.)

Puppy me would attempt to pound a slope into submission**. Older Dog me tries to let the slope tell me how to ski it. I am no longer the driver, but a passenger.

Yeah, yeah, be the ball… Gunga a lunga…

It's fulfilling and most importantly, I think, it reduces wear and tear on the bod and the snow. Like others have said, 80% is better than no percent.

** I fought the hill and the hill won.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At this point in our life, the beach holds less and less attraction for my wife and I. I wish we could afford a lake place in addition to our ski condo and just sell our current house when we retire. Summer lakes and winter mountains, perfect!

I still fight the hill, but less and less. This year I made strides in using my feet more and my upper body less. The legs of course have to do their simpatico thing. Little movements, big results, and all that...

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I wish we could afford a lake place in addition to our ski condo and just sell our current house when we retire. Summer lakes and winter mountains, perfect!
Watch for property on the market on Echo Lake, 1/2 way between Okemo and Killington. Or if you don't mind the drive, Lake Bomoseen. Sell the condo, one lake house, plus skiing.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Watch for property on the market on Echo Lake, 1/2 way between Okemo and Killington. Or if you don't mind the drive, Lake Bomoseen. Sell the condo, one lake house, plus skiing.

Nothing quite like rolling out of bed in the am, straight into the ski boots and grabbing a breakfast roll while clipping in. 90 seconds to the lift.

James

Out There
Instructor
Acting Your Age at 80 in the Backcountry
Dick Dorworth
Nov 19, 2018

IMG_6461.JPG

http://ascentbackcountry.com/acting-your-age-at-80-in-the-backcountry/

Ruminations of an Old Skier
Dick Dorworth

IMG_6460.JPG

https://www.bombsnow.com/Article/ruminations-of-an-old-skier

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I learned to ski from a guy who was 70 at the time. He cruised along pretty smoothly on his hart javelins for a number of years after that.

Sponsor

Staff online