• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Hello everybody, as I am slowly realizing that old age is approaching (70 this year) and having recently started skiing again after a long gap, I am wondering what are the tips/ tricks/ experiences that us older skiers can share with their fellow age-peers. For instance, what have you found, as skiers who are not young, say over 60:
1. Things that work or don’t work anymore for you
2. Things that you prefer now, changes in your attitude
3. Improvements, advice
4. Your ideas on new gear, technology
5. Anything else that may be relevant to us, even just your experiences, tales etc

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
  • I finally have an acceptable excuse to pull down the foot rest.
  • Coming home alive is now a more important goal than my vertical.
  • Parts don't repair that fast, so don't do anything stupid. The wrong move could finish my skiing career.
  • I have nothing to prove.
  • I'm pretty sure that most of my old, long, skinny skis I would no longer be able to ski these days.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I don't know - I'm only 70, so I'm not really old yet! Seriously, I do pretty much the same stuff - I was never all that reckless on the hill anyway - but I generally throttle it back to about 80% of my former intensity. I also think more in terms of economy of effort to let me stay on the hill longer before my body tells me I'm done for the day. And when my body does tell me I'm done for the day, I listen! And I agree with Sibhusky's points, especially about having nothing to prove.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
- Ride the ski... Check out Lito Tejada Flore's book:
Soft Skiing
The Secrets of Effortless, Low-impact skiing for Older Skiers
https://www.breakthroughonskis.com/soft-skiing.html

- Listen to your body. If it says no go, don't go.

- It's ok that other people are skiing faster than you.

- Stay in shape all year: work on core strength, stamina and flexibility.

- Go for skis that you can bend. If you get skis that are too stiff it will require alot of effort to get them to perform. That will be fun for an hour or so but after that your legs will be dead.

TS
Samoro

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all, some very important points. Later on I may try to make a summary of all the comments. Here are some tentative answers to my own questions:
1. No more long/burly GS skis and stiff boots: I am quite happy now with my softish 167 Rossignol Hero elite CA (no titanal, only carbon) and with my Dalbello DS 100, instead of my Dobermann 130. No more Mantra, now Salomon QST. Much less tiring, much more enjoyable.
2. Now I don’t wake up very early (say 5.30 am) in order to be ready to start before the lifts open. I take my time, I give the priority to a good sleep, so I start late, say at 10.30. I now avoid Saturdays and Sundays, so I find mostly empty slopes, which I like. I now ski mostly on my own, and don’t worry about accidents etc as before. If I have to get hurt (not that I look for it) so be it.
3. I have improved a lot in this last season, and I am sure that this is due to my new gear. In the past, I had weekly coaching and my progress had reached a plateau. When I was racing, till about 10 years ago, my ranking did not improve. I am convinced that if I tried again now (no), I would do better, technically, because of my new gear, especially the softer boots. Also, I increased their size by 5mm in length and although they are still snug, I don’t suffer anymore. I can set my boots after a couple of runs and can keep them buckled all day. And they are warm!
4. New gear: it is not all marketing BS, it is worth knowing what is new, maybe trying some new gear.
5. I still feel important to set objectives for the season (dreams, one could say) and use the help that a good coach can give me: about one hour with a coach after 10 hours skied on my own, when I sometimes do exercises, drills, etc.
All in all, I think that I ski better now and certainly enjoy it more than when I was younger.
Cheers all

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
GOOD TOPIC. I AM AGE MID-60S. I WILL PUT SOME COMMENTS IN CAPS TO YOUR POINTS BELOW.

Thank you all, some very important points. Later on I may try to make a summary of all the comments. Here are some tentative answers to my own questions:
1. No more long/burly GS skis and stiff boots: I am quite happy now with my softish 167 Rossignol Hero elite CA (no titanal, only carbon) and with my Dalbello DS 100, instead of my Dobermann 130. No more Mantra, now Salomon QST. Much less tiring, much more enjoyable.
NO DOUBT THAT APPROPRIATE EQUIPMENT CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE AND MAKE SKIING CHALLENGING SNOW & TERRAIN EASIER. I AM STILL EXPLORING WHAT I NEED IN NEW SKIS & BOOTS TO FIT MY CURRENT SITUATION AS I TRANSITION FROM MOSTLY EASTERN SKIING TO MOSTLY WESTERN SKIING.
2. Now I don’t wake up very early (say 5.30 am) in order to be ready to start before the lifts open. I take my time, I give the priority to a good sleep, so I start late, say at 10.30. I now avoid Saturdays and Sundays, so I find mostly empty slopes, which I like. I now ski mostly on my own, and don’t worry about accidents etc as before. If I have to get hurt (not that I look for it) so be it. AGREE, WEEKDAYS ARE FUN AND RELAXING. I USUALLY GO TO BED PRETTY EARLY WHEN I PLAN TO SKI NEXT DAY. PARTIAL SKI DAYS ARE OK, GROOMERS ARE OK, NOT SKIING FULL DAYS/ BELL TO BELL IS OK (THESE COME UNDER THE NOTHING TO PROVE CATEGORY). FINDING SOME AGE-APPROPRIATE SKI BUDDIES IS A GOOD STRATEGY TO HELP WITH PACING, SAFETY, AND MOTIVATION.
3. I have improved a lot in this last season, and I am sure that this is due to my new gear. In the past, I had weekly coaching and my progress had reached a plateau. When I was racing, till about 10 years ago, my ranking did not improve. I am convinced that if I tried again now (no), I would do better, technically, because of my new gear, especially the softer boots. Also, I increased their size by 5mm in length and although they are still snug, I don’t suffer anymore. I can set my boots after a couple of runs and can keep them buckled all day. And they are warm! EACH YEAR I AM GETTING OLDER AND SLOWER, BUT STILL OCCASIONALLY GET THE FEELING OF FLYING AND THAT KEEPS ME STOKED.
4. New gear: it is not all marketing BS, it is worth knowing what is new, maybe trying some new gear. AFTER EXPERIENCING A HUGE SNOW YEAR AT SNOWBIRD I WILL NEVER AGAIN LISTEN TO SOMEONE WHO SAYS FAT SKIS ARE UNNECESSARY. THEY ARE ESSENTIAL FOR WESTERN OFF-PISTE AND DEEP SNOW SKIING.
5. I still feel important to set objectives for the season (dreams, one could say) and use the help that a good coach can give me: about one hour with a coach after 10 hours skied on my own, when I sometimes do exercises, drills, etc.
All in all, I think that I ski better now and certainly enjoy it more than when I was younger.
I WAS NEVER A GREAT SKIER AND STILL SUCK, BUT GOT AWAY WITH STUFF BECAUSE I WAS EXTREMELY FIT IN 20s AND 30s. HOWEVER, WHEN YOU LOSE YOUR BEST PLAYING CARD, YOU DON'T WIN TOO MANY POKER GAMES AND I GET A LOT OF ACHES AND PAINS FROM SKIING THESE DAYS :)
Cheers all

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Short radius turns are a bit slower and rounder.
More balance drills.
Brighter parka so they will spot the body.
Big air now probably has eating beans associated with it.
The bump lines aren't the biggest any more (respect the bad knee).
1st chair doesn't matter much anymore.
The smiles are just as big and the kids are just as much fun to watch.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I turn 73 next month (how did that happen?) but still manage 60-70 days each season. Not quite bell-to-bell, but usually 9 to 3 or so. Still ski the tougher stuff when the conditions are right, but icy eastern bumps are off my TO DO list. Do still enjoy soft small to medium sized western bumps however. And love the bowls and glades out West. I guess I have been lucky that my knees are still pretty good. A lot of skiers my age restrict themselves to groomers because of their knees. I never was a fast skier, but I notice that a good percentage of skiers (many nowhere near as skilled as me) are passing me now. I chalk it up the fact that I delight in carving turns down the mountain and that the thrill of pure speed and feeling to be on the ragged edge of control has no appeal. I hope I can continue to do this well into my 80s.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Mid 60's, retired...

I'm a longtime skier. Took a 14 year break and returned to the sport in 2012/2013. It was somewhat of a challenge because 1) the gear had changed A LOT, 2) skiing method had changed A LOT and 3) I was so out of shape.

So, adding to what other's have posted on this:

- Exercise. Find out what works best for skiing. Do it 4 days a week. If in snow country, consider a treadmill and/or stationary bike for maintaining winter cardio fitness when there's 3ft of snow in town (or try regular walks/hikes with snowshoes).

- Eat healthy.

- Stay as close to proper weight/BMI as possible. The less weight, the less you have to pay Mr. Gravity on the slopes and the less work.

Practicality:

- Never ski hurt. If you're recovering from injury, accept it and let it heal - no matter how long it takes. Trust me. School of numerous hard knocks taught me the hard way.

- A good trustworthy physical therapy group is at least as important as a good trustworthy ski tech. ;)

- Move close to a resort (within an hour drive or so). If you do, get a good AWD, real snow tires & keep some winter travel emergency stuff in the vehicle. Or, if available, ride the shuttle bus to the resort (potentially a big hassle saver). Bottom line: do what you can to simplify the logistics of accessing skiing.

- A good ski shop & people there you can trust is so valuable.

- Ski through the typical lunch window (11:30am-1:30pm, when there's less bodies on the slopes) & take a late lunch.

- Staying hydrated & fueled on the mountain is real important and improves performance. Ignoring this will reduce the fun factor.

- Be mindful of risks and physical limitations. On a ski day, my wife almost always reminds me that I'm supposed to "stick to Geezer Skiing today". It just means to ski more conservatively and mind the risk. I usually do because she's pretty smart. She knows I don't want to end my season early.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gee, I was hoping this was something I could join to get more "senior savings"....................:D

I turned 67 in February and skied 106 days this year-ain't retirement great! I still ski fast (especially at our home mountain), but dial it down when things get busy. I take the opposite tack on lunch- as an early riser I'm there when the lifts open, ski hard and break about 11:15. Good time for a rest and you're in before the crowds. Visibility is an issue as your eyesight deteriorates-I'll call it early or look for trees if i can't see. Looking forward to beer league and some Masters racing next year-keeps your skills up and makes you want to improve (although my current mantra is anytime I stop in the finish corral upright is a good race!)

All the other suggestions are good-fitness, diet, working on technique etc..................

One of the biggest rewards is watching and helping my Grandkids learn to ski! At this point they are still impressed with "Papa's" skiing ability......................ogsmile

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Congratulations! You will finally qualify for the senior discount.
(When I get to 70 I expect age creep will have pushed it to 75. :()

TS
Samoro

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Fantastic, and very useful, replies, thank you! It seems that those of us who are still skiing do more or less the same things as before, with just minor adaptations. I cannot figure what percentage of those who used to ski regularly when young we represent. However skiing mid-week this year, I could clearly see that many faces were old. It was comforting to realize that some looked older than me. Probably 99% were lean and still moved well. I was surprised that there were as many old ladies as men, some of them skiing with their grandkids, but also many of them alone. It really was something new for me, coming back to skiing as a senior and realizing that there are so many like me on the snow. New, because old people were sort of transparent for me, never took notice of them, before!

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do everything you can to stay strong and flexible. Time in the weight room, lots of work with rollers, lots of hiking, walking, cycling. Flexibility and balance is key. I work with a personal trainer on all of these. Totally worth it. Don't be afraid to spend money on this and on good equipment and good fitting of your equipment. I've been alpine touring (a week or 2 in the alps or Iceland every winter) since the early 80's and intend to do so for many years to come, 71 now. It's a great motivator to keep working on fitness and strength particularly since I hate going to the gym. Always keep learning.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I stick to blue/green groomers most of the time and I normally ski on 163 or shorter, but I still break out the vintage 204s for a few runs a couple times a season. I also haven't given up on old-school free-doggery, but some of the tricks have now exceeded my agility levels, but the few things I can still do help keep me from getting too stiff as I get older

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be 66 in July. Here's my $0.02 worth:
  1. Stay hydrated (this is good advice for all ages, but especially important for seniors)
  2. Give yourself time to warm up in the morning (no higher than 5 foot air jumps before 10:00 am)
  3. Take time to stretch at the end of the ski day (and the hot tub is your friend!)