• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Reviving this thread.

Ski Boom! 1971
Some great shots of western ski areas.
Gustavo Thoeni, Tyler Palmer, Suzy Chafee, Barbara Cochran, JC Killy, Stein Erickson, Billy Kidd, Herman Gollner.
Random people.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Reviving this thread.

Ski Boom! 1971
Some great shots of western ski areas.
Gustavo Thoeni, Tyler Palmer, Suzy Chafee, Barbara Cochran, JC Killy, Stein Erickson, Billy Kidd, Herman Gollner.
Random people.

From 1968 to 1970 the number of skiers in the US tripled?!? :geek: And they had ski bikes back in 1971? Never realized they were that old. And the way they talked about GLM was interesting. And wow... old Park City. Wish there'd been more of Taos! And Snowmass... And old ski racing!! That was great. I got this gondola car last year at Snowbasin:

Utah Gathering 2023 148 ACR Conv.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Wish there'd been more of Taos!
I know, incredibly lame esp since there’s a lot of nonsense they left in. They had to go there and film. Maybe something happened and they lost most of the footage. I was hoping they’d have Jean Mayer skiing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@James has me watching old ski videos... here's one with some pretty good stuff from Aspen Highlands... no Highland Bowl... but they tout and show Maroon Bowl!

James

Out There
Instructor
good stuff from Aspen Highlands... no Highland Bowl
Highland Bowl has a long tortured history. There’s a reason they bootpack it, which is insane to think about if you’ve been there. For awhile I think skiing it was banned after three patrollers were killed in an avy. There was heli skiing there at that time.

Lou Dawson of WildSnow, was buried in an avalanche there in 1982. He was lucky a guy who’d heliskied there the day before was looking at his tracks in a telescope and saw it, calling rescue.

More films-
One from Abasin, 1960’s. Sound goes out for a bunch if it. Interesting to see the cabin in the trees near Falcon.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Highland Bowl has a long tortured history. There’s a reason they bootpack it, which is insane to think about if you’ve been there. For awhile I think skiing it was banned after three patrollers were killed in an avy. There was heli skiing there at that time.
I thought the part about Maroon Bowl was interesting though, as it's out of bounds now (might have been then too) with no obvious way back to the resort from the valley, unless they used to run shuttles or something. And of course, and unfortunately, there was someone killed skiing it last March.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another old one... this is basically an extended commercial for A-Basin, with a silly ski movie mixed in. Interesting shots early of the resort (and crowds on Molly Hogan area!!) and some powder stuff late in the video...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Another old one... this is basically an extended commercial for A-Basin, with a silly ski movie mixed in. Interesting shots early of the resort (and crowds on Molly Hogan area!!) and some powder stuff late in the video...

This was entertaining. She was so surprised by the size of it... ;)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This was entertaining. She was so surprised by the size of it... ;)
Yeah, that was entertaining... and she also seemed to go from a beginner class to skiing moguls like a pro in the course of a day. Those are some instructors!!

James

Out There
Instructor
^ It was more than one day, but still. No way was she a beginner. But maybe they were using Carve.
So there was a Poma to looker’s right of Molly Hogan

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
^ It was more than one day, but still. No way was she a beginner. But maybe they were using Carve.
So there was a Poma to looker’s right of Molly Hogan

Yep, there was a Poma, and about a THOUSAND skiers! Did you notice how crowded that looked? It was absolutely crazy the number of bodies on that little slope. And then they had the gall to talk about the "small class size"... it was huge!

James

Out There
Instructor
But if you fall on the poma they don’t turn it off unless it’s really bad.
The class size is only small to midwest skiers where they have 30 in a class.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the term "lame duck" for someone who can't ski well too.

And seeing Max Dercum in it made me go read a bit more about him... A-Basin and Keystone co-founder, and one of the founders of the PSIA. And the main mountain at Keystone was renamed after him.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ There’s also Dercum’s gulch at Abasin. Where you have a chance to get hit from multiple high speed on ramps.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This one isn't as old or as good, but I thought worth posting for the Copper Mountain song in the first couple of minutes, which is kind of cheesy spectacular... I wouldn't bother watching past the song.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This one isn't as old or as good, but I thought worth posting for the Copper Mountain song in the first couple of minutes, which is kind of cheesy spectacular... I wouldn't bother watching past the song.

The woman in pink is giving powder skiing lessons... :cool:

James

Out There
Instructor
^It was obligatory in Colorado in the 80’s to ski without a hat if it was sunny.

Colorado ski museum has some probs with their audio. Also, no credits? Need to know songwriter and singer.

Scott Schmidt. Classic early 90’s video.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lucky me, I was skiing A-Basin back in those days as a kid. Later, but still not vey old and working in a ski shop, I got to meet some of the people named in the film. The ski chase in the film was similar to a movie made in the 1930's in Austria with Hannes Schneider as one of the featured skiers. Can't remember the title.

Sponsor