• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
^It was obligatory in Colorado in the 80’s to ski without a hat if it was sunny.

Colorado ski museum has some probs with their audio. Also, no credits? Need to know songwriter and singer.

Scott Schmidt. Classic early 90’s video.

I wonder if that's problems with the audio or if youtube has eliminated that music due to copyright infringement. They do that often.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^A lot of it is just narration.

1967 Zurs and Jackson Hole

Nice! I was hoping they'd have a shot of Corbet's, or the Amphiteater, or something recognizable. Neat seeing the village (or lack thereof).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This one is cool if you like ski racing, if a bit long. The FIS races at Aspen in 1950 - the first FIS event held in the US. Dick Durrance even carried a camera down part of the downhill course. Some old racers names I recognized too - in particular a bunch of Stein Eriksen footage.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird!

I notice they had one mention of "terrain for all types of skiers", then about 10 seconds of "intermediate terrain", and the rest was all steeps, moguls, or trees. They were leaning into that "1 star" campaign already back then and didn't even know it! :P

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
More from the Colorado Snowsports Museum.... Lots of cowboy hats, a silly origin skit, some ski ballet, and not 1, not 2, but THREE cheesy songs...

James

Out There
Instructor
^ There’s like 3 posts of that. We should make a list.

Aspen/Snowmass
Some extended Stein Erickson skiing. Plus these weird aspen capes. Powder all over the place.

IMG_1589.jpeg

Looks like Big Burn

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen/Snowmass
Some extended Stein Erickson skiing. Plus these weird aspen capes. Powder all over the place.
That was a good one... I liked the old Snowmass stuff showing Sam's Knob runs, Big Burn, and this shot toward Mount Daly:

1704769857287.png

I took a similar photo in 2021 from Campground lift, so a bit further up the valley:

Aspen 030621 062 ACR Conv.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Why did one need a heli to go to Sam’s Knob? No lift there?
IMG_1590.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why did one need a heli to go to Sam’s Knob? No lift there?
View attachment 220879
No, they said they could have driven, but the helicopter was a once in a lifetime thing. I assume it was just to look expensive/ glamorous for the camera.

I don't know what was in that lodge back then, but it's a pretty pricey restaurant now.

They showed the village lift that goes up there (or at least headed that direction) later.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thanks for reviving this thread. Got to view my two posted GoPro 8 Youtube videos again on page 4. Really like the first long groomer cruise smoothly rebounding like a big rubber ball, 180 total turns down 1740 feet of vertical (~10 feet vertical per turn), from centered edge to edge with a most excellent full body contrasty sun/shadow dance complementing the shovel views.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I enjoyed this one. Crappy video quality but neat to watch...
  • Jim McKay was always the same!
  • Not too dissimilar from watching races now... People missing gates, one hiking to go make it, a few falls...
  • First 2 US Alpine skiing medals of any kind
  • First time they'd timed to the hundredths of a second

James

Out There
Instructor
Capes were supposed to be Aspen leaf shaped I think. They’re just another fashion-y cool thing of the time. Most of all that stuff seems to be gone. They’d get runover.
We used to always have a guy skiing on stilts for President’s week, then a tiger suited person for kids.

Cannon World Cup 1967
Cuts of various skiers.
Quality of the video isn’t great.
Courses were so sketchy back then. In the women’s downhill there’s a crash into snow covered rocks, dirt?
The finish is out on the lake I think.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Capes were supposed to be Aspen leaf shaped I think. They’re just another fashion-y cool thing of the time. Most of all that stuff seems to be gone. They’d get runover.
We used to always have a guy skiing on stilts for President’s week, then a tiger suited person for kids.

I did not pick-up on the shape of the capes. I think you're right about the aspen leaves.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cannon World Cup 1967

The announcer says it was "live and in color" for the first time... so why is it black and white? Did they record it in black and white from the color broadcast? Or broadcast it in both and only kept the black and white?

And 4 Australians in the top 10 of the women's downhill... didn't expect that.

Courses were so sketchy back then. In the women’s downhill there’s a crash into snow covered rocks, dirt?
Yeah, that looked rough. In the Olympic video I posted a few posts back (and speaking of Australians) they mention that Australian Ross Milne crashed and died during the downhill training when he hit a tree. Safety has changed a lot I guess.

Sponsor