• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This might be the best ever... Toni Sailer in Japan. The man could ski! :)

OK - I have questions on this one, but first, that "human slalom" was mighty impressive. And considering the equipment Toni was on, incredibly impressive stuff.

So it seems that most ski videos I've seen from this era have skiers in a sweater+turtleneck and stretch pants. Was full-body frostbite just a given? ;)

How did they time events before electronic timing? It would seem that the person manning the stopwatch would have to have clear view of the start and the finish. Or did they use a starting gun like in track?

And what's with the Toni Schneider name shown in the newspaper? Did he change his name? What's the backstory?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK - I have questions on this one, but first, that "human slalom" was mighty impressive. And considering the equipment Toni was on, incredibly impressive stuff.

So it seems that most ski videos I've seen from this era have skiers in a sweater+turtleneck and stretch pants. Was full-body frostbite just a given? ;)

How did they time events before electronic timing? It would seem that the person manning the stopwatch would have to have clear view of the start and the finish. Or did they use a starting gun like in track?

And what's with the Toni Schneider name shown in the newspaper? Did he change his name? What's the backstory?

According to
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1283284/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
"Toni Schneider" was the name of the character in the "Ginrei no oja" movie.
Keeping the first names makes it easier -- the other star had first name Haruko --> Harue

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Noodler when I was a kid (living in Denver) the races I watched or was in sometimes had a guy with a flagged slalom pole at the start whose pole would move five times in sync with the timers 5-4-3-2-1-GO! The timer at the finish would then start the watch and stop it when the racer crossed the line. The timer would say the time, the recorder would write it down, and there you were. Took some sorting out after the last racer to determine the order of finishes. On longer races a phone or radio could get the 5-4-3-2-1-GO! down to the timer and stop watch. For races like the 1950 FIS World Championships at Aspen the system was probably more sophisticated. I may remember timing races with a single stopwatch in the 70's, but can't be sure. Whatever, we had good times, or at least we had a good time. At Aspen in the middle 70's I know we timed a X-Cty race with stop watches. Mass start so we gave everyone the same start time, at the finish we has two watches running, one watch gave the time for the first racer to finish, the second watch gave the time for the second racer to finish, and so on and on.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wcup races still do backup hand timing. There was an incident this year when the electronics failed and they went to the hand time. I don't remember the exact interval, but it was so small I thought they should have given a tie.

At the Sochi Olympics there was a tie for 1st in Women's Super g I think. There was an article in the NY Times about the timing. The company timing the races actually times it to 1/10,000 of a second, but it's rounded to 1/100th. So, there actually was a winner but those privy to the data are not allowed to discuss it.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Noodler when I was a kid (living in Denver) the races I watched or was in sometimes had a guy with a flagged slalom pole at the start whose flag would move five times in sync with the timers 5-4-3-2-1-GO! The timer at the finish would start the watch and then stop it when the racer crossed the line. The timer would say the time, the recorder would write it down, and there you were. Took some sorting out after the last racer to determine the order of finishes. On longer races a phone or radio could get the 5-4-3-2-1-GO! down to the timer and stop watch. For races like the 1950 FIS World Championships at Aspen the system was probably more sophisticated. I may remember timing races with a single stopwatch in the 70's, but can't be sure. Whatever, we had good times, or at least we had a good time. At Aspen in the middle 70's I know we timed a X-Cty race with stop watches. Mass start so we all gave everyone the same start time, at the finish we has two watches running, one watch gave the time for the first racer to finish, the second watch gave the time for the second racer to finish, and so on and on.

James

Out There
Instructor
Before the “Walkman”, there was “SkiFi”, and Willy Bogner and Fuzzy Garhammer made this clip to show it off in SKIVISION 1973!
That’s some very impressive skiing. Wacky, but really skilled to do those spoofs.

Came across this very bizarre 1980’s French Film. No dialogue. Snowboarder, monoskiers, skiers, even a Zorb. Weird.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a short clip from a couple seasons back of a couple good old friends of mine mining some cold smoke powder in the back/side country off the JH tram.

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
Ha! They were teaching us advanced kids the "wedelin" at White Pass, WA in about 1966. And back then skiing culture often would have us aping what the Europeans did.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid