• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Be sure to bring a folding step stool to stand on while aligning the skis just right and/or weaving the straps around them. Standing on the rocker panel in ski boots (or sneakers) on a cold windy day in a tight parking lot with your car door trying to blow in to the car next to yours causes folks to rush and just throw the skis in there, slam the lid, lock and go..

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Be sure to bring a folding step stool to stand on while aligning the skis just right and/or weaving the straps around them. Standing on the rocker panel in ski boots (or sneakers) on a cold windy day in a tight parking lot with your car door trying to blow in to the car next to yours causes folks to rush and just throw the skis in there, slam the lid, lock and go..

Well that Just confirms I'm staying with my short rack instead of a big box!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'll admit. I don't tie then down. I put a mat down to keep the skidding around to a minimum.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier

Good idea, it's definitely a little harder to reach into compared to my regular ski racks.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, a step stool is key and im not a short person. Even for a basic ski rack its nice to be up high especially with an suv or higher crossover. Nothing worse than reaching and stretching with one hand while holding on with the other especially when its freezing out. You step up that foot or two and can now work a bit more pleasurably and efficiently.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had a box for years. Used an old blanket or 2 in the box to keep skis from rattling around. A few seasons I just left everything in there ll winter. Couple pairs of my skis, my son's, my xc skis, my snowboard.

Camping trips all the light stuff went up there: sleeping bags, pillows, fishing poles camp chairs, etc.. Beach vacations: Beach chairs, blankets etc. Yes I had the step stool.

I threw out my old ski rack when I downsized. Also gave away the ski box when I downsized. Now everything goes in the Highlander and the Forester. I live a very gear intensive life and will always have an SUV or at the least a wagon.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I leave my box bare, blanket holds moisture and since I leave skis in there best to not soak them in wet blankets.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I leave my box bare, blanket holds moisture and since I leave skis in there best to not soak them in wet blankets.

I had wondered about this. I use carpet remnants for padding. From what I've seen, in the Colorado climate, the carpets dry out quickly.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I had wondered about this. I use carpet remnants for padding. From what I've seen, in the Colorado climate, the carpets dry out quickly.
if it stays cold your skis won't rust. I'm down in central NC most of the time where it is warm and wet most of the time. Skis do KLUNK around up there some over speed bumps or slamming on brakes, but the get far more dings just actually skiing them.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use towels in my box to prevent the skis from sliding around. We also put soft clothing bags on top of the skis to prevent the skis from banging around in the box. The towels are also handy for wiping off the skis. When I get home the skis get stored inside, the box comes off, and the towels get cleaned. The box does not fit thru the garage opening when it is on.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My skis go in loose. There are tie down spots on the inside of my box that I've used when I took skis four wheeling. My skis come out of the box after use so moisture buildup isn't an issue. Race skis do get a moving pad spacer/protection, but are bound up to themselves sufficiently to protect the bases and edges.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Step ladder or...

20160916_171715.jpg

Easy access and out of the wind.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Lets eliminate the obvious suggestion of a cargo box since that's not currently relevant as I do not own one.

So ski rack it is. All the years Ive always had a minivan for the fam and fitting anything inside including skis never an issue. Anyways FF to last year and no more minivan and so I have a ski rack.

On most trips when the weather is not an issue its no big deal. But when the trip is wet and salts and chemicals are on the roads and hiways the skis can get hammered with that stuff. On one of our trips last year....a 5 hr trip to Killington the roads were a mess all the way home. Salts and also this blue stuff (probably some version of ice met) all over the vehicle and the skis. Got home I had to stand all 4 pairs in the shower and rinse them out thoroughly and especially through the bindings really good to get this crap out and off them.

So how to protect the skis on the roof rack so this stuff doesn't end up getting into the bindings and fwiw all over the skis? I cant recall what if anything I use to do decades ago when I also had a rack back then. But last years wet salty road trip made me unhappy about this.

Im not seeing much of anything on the market for this purpose. Does it come down simply covering the bindings with plastic and tape? Is that our only solution with all the tech and products available today? Besides it still leaves the rest of the skis exposed. Doesn't a simple yet cheap and practical enough full ski cover sock or something waterproof like that exist?

Id sure hate to get to a resort after a wet salty trip and not have a way of rinsing off the skis and out the bindings. At least if on the way home I can do it at home. But the other way, what are we to do in a ski hill parking lot? But even if they can be rinsed , just getting salts and stuff all over them doesn't sit well wit me anyway. Salt is a killer and who knows what the other ice melt chemicals may do.
It’s really hard to attach some of these F8FD038A-27E0-46E8-B4A9-435035805F9F.png to a rack.
That’s the main reason you need a box.
I would have thought that obvious:huh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
if it stays cold your skis won't rust. I'm down in central NC most of the time where it is warm and wet most of the time. Skis do KLUNK around up there some over speed bumps or slamming on brakes, but the get far more dings just actually skiing them.

It's not really wet here, but it's typically above freezing most days, with sun that makes it feel much, much warmer. And the skis are baking in the nice black box.

Step ladder or...

View attachment 34202

There's a "junk in the trunk" joke in there somewhere. "Baby's got back"?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
... And the skis are baking in the nice black box.

There's a "junk in the trunk" joke in there somewhere. "Baby's got back"?
Or is it "baby's got box"?

Andy Jones

Booting up
Skier
Step ladder or...

View attachment 34202
Nice setup on the Tacoma. My Taco setup. Simple but not covered. Very little spray gets inside the bed. Can carry 181 K2’s with tailgate up and nothing slides around. Not shown but have pieces that lock boards on place with the bed rail system. Racks can be locked for security. Notches on the back board hold two 6 gallon gas cans tight against the tailgate for summer use. Flip boards over to haul plywood and lumber.
EF51C970-76FC-4E8A-A301-51053725B284.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online