• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Harvey

Booting up
Skier
No easy answer to this. I finally decided the easiest thing was to stuff everyone (3 of us and small dog) and skis inside.

It's a PITA but so is:

Having a roof box on (kills mileage, restricts rear gate)
Taking a roof box on and off
Using a rack where skis are exposed and binding corrode

I may go to a small box, not big enough for skis but will help us with space below.

Garage ceiling is to low for one of those cool pulley things.

Only real solution is retirement and move to the mountains. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No easy answer to this. I finally decided the easiest thing was to stuff everyone (3 of us and small dog) and skis inside.

It's a PITA but so is:

Having a roof box on (kills mileage, restricts rear gate)

Taking a roof box on and off
Using a rack where skis are exposed and binding corrode

I may go to a small box, not big enough for skis but will help us with space below.

Garage ceiling is to low for one of those cool pulley things.

Only real solution is retirement and move to the mountains. :)

The spoiler on the back of my box actually increases MPG by about 1. Stays on all summer for fishing and camping gear storage.

I did have the rear hatch issue but drilled new holes to move the box farther forward to resolve that.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Put the skis in a bag and the rack works fine! For big trips we've even tied our duff's on top of the skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How many skis can you get into a box?
IMG_0820.JPG

A lot if you pull the demo bindings off and put them in a big Tupperware tub.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How many skis can you get into a box?

I can CRAM 7 pairs with bindings up to 192cms and 4 pairs of poles in my Thule 21 which is a little skinnier but also taller than the noodle box above.

I have a feeling some here would go :eek:watching me :nono:smash the lid down on them and pull the end buckles so I can get the lock arms to turn with that much inside hahahahaha! Yes, there are a few knicks and dings added doing this:roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's lot of weed. :D

I am now picturing a full-sized ski box with a tiny sandwich bag of ... oregano ... centered in the bottom.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I wonder how much stuff ends up on the ground under the lifts after snowmelt.
No wonder why the deer are so chill!

Rick Clancy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've been racking my brain on the same issue of protecting roof-racked skis and then it hit me...nylon rolled sail bags - they are thin, really durable, and waterproof. I slipped a North Sails bag from a C420 sailboat over my Volkl Code skis just now and it worked great...it fit over both bindings with skis booked together...and thin enough to clamp in the roof rack. The one I am using measures 13" across when flat so it is a 26" circumference. Search for rolled sail bags. North Sails makes different sizes but are sort of expensive ...like $40 or $50.. but check out intensitysails.com in RI as they sell 112" X 12" one for $20. Also, I would think Optimist sail bags would be great for womens and kids skis since they are shorter bags; so I'm gonna head over to my yacht club ( I help run the Youth Sailing program) and grab an optimist bag to try out on my kids skis. Here is a pic of the Intensity Sails bag for $20 that measures 112" X 12" when flat...
sail bag.jpg

Heading from Boston to North Conway NH tomorrow and will report back next week!

James

Out There
Instructor
I've been racking my brain on the same issue of protecting roof-racked skis and then it hit me...nylon rolled sail bags - they are thin, really durable, and waterproof. I slipped a North Sails bag from a C420 sailboat over my Volkl Code skis just now and it worked great...it fit over both bindings with skis booked together...and thin enough to clamp in the roof rack. The one I am using measures 13" across when flat so it is a 26" circumference. Search for rolled sail bags. North Sails makes different sizes but are sort of expensive ...like $40 or $50.. but check out intensitysails.com in RI as they sell 112" X 12" one for $20. Also, I would think Optimist sail bags would be great for womens and kids skis since they are shorter bags; so I'm gonna head over to my yacht club ( I help run the Youth Sailing program) and grab an optimist bag to try out on my kids skis. Here is a pic of the Intensity Sails bag for $20 that measures 112" X 12" when flat...
View attachment 37070
Wow, that's awesome! Protects the whole ski. Nice find.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had the idea of a disposable ski bag that I was going to market as a 'Ski Condom" and it would get packaged as such. I never got around to it. LOL.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Im still surprised there isn't some simple and relatively cheap cover/bag/sleeve/whatever. Seems almost comical nowadays with all the items available for just about anything.

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
View attachment 37070

This is a good idea. How is it working out so far.. I bet I can find some old sail bags for cheap on CL.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Im still surprised there isn't some simple and relatively cheap cover/bag/sleeve/whatever. Seems almost comical nowadays with all the items available for just about anything.
Dakine single sleeve! One zipper, no straps to flap, super durable, washable, easily fits wide skis as well. I have 2 bags and they fit in the rack fine for the 2.5 hour drive each way! The most expensive of the 2 bags was $35.

Sponsor

Staff online