• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
maybe with the exception of Michigan Highway Patrols rooftop lights (seriously, have you seen those things? ITS NOT THE NINTEEN FIFTIES ANYMORE, GET A CLUE!). .

Quiet, it's easier to see them and where else will you go to film an "old" movie when you need older looking police cars.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What do you use a box for in the summer?

Just stuff ... camping stuff, biking stuff, whatever needs to travel with me.

I could do without it in the summer, for sure, but then I'd have to store it somewhere ;-)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Get a box. You have to store the skis anyway, so just double up on storage. Skis in box. box in ski storage area. Simple.

In the old days, before roof top boxes, we used 4 and 6 pair ski bags. Put the skis in, zip them up, roll and strap them up, bungie/strap to roof rack. When we arrived we had a 4 to 6 pair drop cloth for waxing to protect the motel room.

I don't think so. I remember walking into a ski shop after driving up in "weather," asking for a tune. Guy took one look at my skis. "We're not a car wash." I felt pretty embarrassed and almost immediately bought a roof box. Not that you're looking for a roof box - I know!

Anyway, when I think of the rocks that sometimes hit my car, the grime, etc ... and when you rinsed off the skis, I wonder if you rinsed off grease in important parts of the binding, too ...

Clean skis make a difference. If you edges get rusty and corrode all summer long, it is nigh impossible to remove the rust without removing significant amounts of edge and base material. Bindings certainly can be damaged by the road elements as well. Grit and (being stored with potentially corrosive) moisture are not good for your bindings. So if you can't cover and protect your skis and bindings, clean and dry them when you are done with them each day.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you edges get rusty and corrode all summer long, it is nigh impossible to remove the rust without removing significant amounts of edge and base material.

What about tiny 1mm spots of rust on non-race skis? Worry/don't worry? Historically I have chosen the latter.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
thule-multi-lift.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

In our case, there's not enough room above the car to do this - but yes, I've wanted one of these.

Also handy for running through car washes - although I finally just started going through with the box, and it was fine. Not approved, but fine.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Fishing rods, tackle boxes, and camp chairs stay in mine over the summer.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You can also put soft stuff (clothes, pillows, sleeping bag, etc) in the roof box to keep it from getting too dirty when you use the car as a base camp.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We always take a canoe camping otherwise I would get a box.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We always take a canoe camping otherwise I would get a box.
roof-rack-cargo-box-canoe-mounts-for-2009-subaru-impreza-outback-sport-fixed-points-using-yakima-control-towers-skybox-12-gunwale-brackets-17.png

faq106_bb.jpg

Mine has a bike tray next to it. Also put surf boards up there.. Takes a little creativity but totally doable..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What about tiny 1mm spots of rust on non-race skis? Worry/don't worry? Historically I have chosen the latter.

Rust on edges causes drag and drag on a ski is never good.

The problem is, as Neil Young would sing: 'rust never sleeps'; rust will continue as long as there is fresh metal to oxidize. You don't need rust present for oxidation to occur, but the more rust there is to start, in general, the more rust you will have in the future.

Unless you prefer it acoustic...

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hate to boast but my canoe is way bigger than yours. Besides, if I took a box camping my wife would fill it with clothes and blankets and my daughter would have 2 suitcases of stuffed animals instead of one.

Actually it's a ram-x that my dad bought 28 years ago. Too many memories to replace it. I also have the 28 year old yakima roof-racks. Think we got our moneys worth.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Rust on edges causes drag and drag on a ski is never good.

The problem is, as Neil Young would sing: 'rust never sleeps'; rust will continue as long as there is fresh metal to oxidize. You don't need rust present for oxidation to occur, but the more rust there is to start, in general, the more rust you will have in the future.

Reminds me of some of the "barn skis" we used to see come through the shop. More rust than steel. Of course we weren't rude like the shop bro @Monique mentioned. We'd just explain the skis needed additional work above a base tune and charge accordingly, or, if the bindings were no longer indemnified, suggest they look at a cheap package deal instead.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Actually it's a ram-x that my dad bought 28 years ago. Too many memories to replace it. I also have the 28 year old yakima roof-racks. Think we got our moneys worth.

I bought mine from someone else's dad around 2008. No doubt I've gotten my $50 worth out of it too.. No clue how old it really is..
22772_107279822620898_1457580_n.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't think so. I remember walking into a ski shop after driving up in "weather," asking for a tune. Guy took one look at my skis. "We're not a car wash." I felt pretty embarrassed and almost immediately bought a roof box. Not that you're looking for a roof box - I know!

Anyway, when I think of the rocks that sometimes hit my car, the grime, etc ... and when you rinsed off the skis, I wonder if you rinsed off grease in important parts of the binding, too ...

Eh. He taught me a lesson. I did not take offense. It's all in the delivery.

That wasn't me, was it? :eek:

;)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
For those that have roof boxes, how do lay the skis in there? Do you just lay them on the bottom and strap them down or do you have some kind of "ski rack" inside? I just bought a used Thule box (after reading this thread) and I am thinking of ways to build a rack inside to support the skis a little better. I did a quick search to see if Thule makes an accessory for this but couldn't find anything. I am a bit OCD and the thought of just throwing them in there makes me cringe a little. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

James

Out There
Instructor
Skis should be strapped. (Many people don't.)
I've just seen them put in. Sometimes blankets etc are used. You could use various pieces of foam. You could get a thick rigid piece of foam and cut slots in it. Use one for tip and tail.

You could use some sort of blanket for the binding area and make a fold for each pair. Like proofing baguettes on a couche:
couche350.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online