• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use single unpadded bag but found too one can just use stretch wrap and some duck tape. Cheep and since I use stretch wrap for a lot of things, have it handy. Use it on the bag too to keep it from flapping about (or a few bungees)

I've driven through really sloppy conditions and noticed little to no water leaking into the binding area:

20180122_220521.jpeg

Not a great image but two sets of ski's not carried in the box, this after nearly 1000miles to Steamboat:

20180106_174709.jpeg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
genius :golfclap:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
but wrapping em in anything helps ... just remember to let them melt out and dry quickly in a warm house

last year on return from Co ... binding were wrapped but I didn't put them into a warm house upon return. Left ski's in the cold garage and the iced upped ones got a lot of rust on edges, really really dumb of me. Both needed a grind ....

2017 skis on explorer - iced.jpg
!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of my coworkers is really lazy about his equipment. Even though he had a roof top box, he would just leave his skis in there for days after returning from a trip. One pair of skis, the rust on the edges migrated under the base and started to lift it.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@David have one and will use but this time wrapped the bindings in stretch wrap and wasn't anticipating freezing rain. Was gonna clean em up and wax em for storage .. but duh ... week later just looked and was aghast ...

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
@David have one and will use but this time wrapped the bindings in stretch wrap and wasn't anticipating freezing rain. Was gonna clean em up and wax em for storage .. but duh ... week later just looked and was aghast ...
That sounds like more work than a zipper!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That sounds like more work than a zipper!

What!!! I'd have to go in the basement .. dig up the bags, put each ski in a bag and then wrap up the excess length and material with the stretch wrap or bungee to avoid flapping against a moon roof. Then have to clean em ... wait ... I guess I wouldn't have had rusty edges :( Geez .. you're mean ... just rub it in more .. add some salt ..

nah, I should of driven my truck with topper. Don't have to pack things neat or tidy or even zip things up ... just pile it all in and toss in a few cases of wine and beer!

David

Skier
I slide any excess bag between the racks and they don't flap enough to see or hear it. Put each pair in their own bag and not each ski. By a better thicker fabric bag. I havr the Dakine Single Sleeve and they are super tough and protective and $35 or less on sale!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I slide any excess bag between the racks and they don't flap enough to see or hear it. Put each pair in their own bag and not each ski. By a better thicker fabric bag. I havr the Dakine Single Sleeve and they are super tough and protective and $35 or less on sale!

sure sure ... just make me feel worse. but you don't know my basement either ... very scary.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As much as try to stay up on reading everything on pugski.com this thread slipped by unfortunately.

We had a large group flying out for a ski trip and one rental vehicle carrying most the gear. Seemed a no brainer to rent a smaller SUV with a ski rack for less than half the price of the extremely expensive full size SUV.

I knew we would pick up some road crud while on way back to the airport so I decided I’d bring some water and paper towels to clean the skis up a bit before putting them in the ski bags for the flight home.

Sadly, when we arrived home and I opened the bags, there is rust everywhere. :( To rub salt in the wound, I had them tuned right before leaving Breck.

My first thought was to search “rust” here on pugski and after reading a bit of this thread I went to give my skis a good shower. I’m back now to ask, what do I do next? In the future I know I will make sure to travel with my skis protected, but should I take them in for a tune tomorrow?

David

Skier
Asap! Tell them what you did and get everything out of the binding and re-lubed/greased if the shop needs to.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
but wrapping em in anything helps ... just remember to let them melt out and dry quickly in a warm house

last year on return from Co ... binding were wrapped but I didn't put them into a warm house upon return. Left ski's in the cold garage and the iced upped ones got a lot of rust on edges, really really dumb of me. Both needed a grind ....

View attachment 39085 !

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
So I pretty much ignored this thread until I had to ride the Snowbus back from the mountain the other day. There's a rack on the side of the bus to put your skis in, or you can struggle with your skis getting in and out of the bus. On the weekends a lot of people ride the bus - it's almost a third world experience so skis outside in the rack is the way I handled it. But then I got home and realized my new Rossi Sky 7s were totally covered in Montana's finest DOT approved road de-icer.

So how to get rid of it? No outside hose to use at the rented condo and a sponge didn't seem up to the task...

My solution? We have a rather nice sized shower, lots of hot water and all. But you can't just throw them in there and expect them to clean themselves... and I have to take a shower anyway, so why not have an intimate get to know each other and get all squeaky clean shared experience?

Some dish soap and a soft bristle brush for the two ladies, the usual manly Dial Soap (gold of course) for me, I took my time going over all the nooks and crannies and the job was done!I

I followed up later with a touch up on the edges and some Swix CH6 wax for their bottoms. We'll see if they appreciated the attention tomorrow.

David

Skier
Hopefully there's nothing still hiding inside the bindings near the rollers!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't think my skis have been in an open rack in close to 2 decades. I bought a Thule rack for my '00 Impreza sedan but I think I only used it a couple of times before I modified my backseat so my skis could stay out of the elements. It helped that, at the time, I was mostly skiing in one location where I could leave my skis on the mountain. Since then I have only owned full sized pickup trucks with covered beds so my skis and everything else in the bed stays pretty clean. If I'm renting a smaller vehicle, I am, personally, willing to give up a bit of comfort by putting the skis inside to keep my gear clean.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I pretty much ignored this thread until I had to ride the Snowbus back from the mountain the other day. There's a rack on the side of the bus to put your skis in, or you can struggle with your skis getting in and out of the bus. On the weekends a lot of people ride the bus - it's almost a third world experience so skis outside in the rack is the way I handled it. But then I got home and realized my new Rossi Sky 7s were totally covered in Montana's finest DOT approved road de-icer.

So how to get rid of it? No outside hose to use at the rented condo and a sponge didn't seem up to the task...

My solution? We have a rather nice sized shower, lots of hot water and all. But you can't just throw them in there and expect them to clean themselves... and I have to take a shower anyway, so why not have an intimate get to know each other and get all squeaky clean shared experience?

Some dish soap and a soft bristle brush for the two ladies, the usual manly Dial Soap (gold of course) for me, I took my time going over all the nooks and crannies and the job was done!I

I followed up later with a touch up on the edges and some Swix CH6 wax for their bottoms. We'll see if they appreciated the attention tomorrow.

:roflmao:

don't want to see that movie less it's a Hallmark Channel - maybe ... well ... no too.

Sponsor

Staff online