• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I pretty much ignored this thread until I had to ride the Snowbus back from the mountain the other day. There's a rack on the side of the bus to put your skis in, or you can struggle with your skis getting in and out of the bus. On the weekends a lot of people ride the bus - it's almost a third world experience so skis outside in the rack is the way I handled it. But then I got home and realized my new Rossi Sky 7s were totally covered in Montana's finest DOT approved road de-icer.

So how to get rid of it? No outside hose to use at the rented condo and a sponge didn't seem up to the task...

My solution? We have a rather nice sized shower, lots of hot water and all. But you can't just throw them in there and expect them to clean themselves... and I have to take a shower anyway, so why not have an intimate get to know each other and get all squeaky clean shared experience?

Some dish soap and a soft bristle brush for the two ladies, the usual manly Dial Soap (gold of course) for me, I took my time going over all the nooks and crannies and the job was done!I

I followed up later with a touch up on the edges and some Swix CH6 wax for their bottoms. We'll see if they appreciated the attention tomorrow.

Gotta hope ypu don't mount your own skis.....:eek: :roflmao:

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was about to use my rack a couple weekends ago. I had wrapped the bindings good but after packing the crossover for the weekend I decided to fit them inside. Im glad I did because it was wet salty mess while up there and also on the way home. It was a bit of a pain dealing with the skis hanging over the rear seat. But that felt better than the alternative. I suppose different if you know your in for a dry clean/clear trip. But any kind of wintery situation expected and id rather be squeezing them inside least until I get a roof box. But that's a pain too. You know you have to have a place to store it and of course mountain and remounting can be bothersome.

I use to love my minivan/s. As a fam we leased 5 in a row for about 15 years. And let me say...not only do I love how they drive, and the comfort in them, but the convenience and versatility cant be beat. For long trips with a fam nothing beats them. Not to mention picking up just about anything for home and/or work around the home. Never had to use a roof rack or box for skis or anything and no matter what we packed there was never a problem with still being comfy and roomy. If the wife didn't just become tired of having one 5 times over for about 15 years id honestly still have one today....lol just cant beat them imo. But another topic I suppose

Sloggn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This is a bit of self promotion but very relevant to the topic. I also remember the beefy ski bags that airlines use to give out for flying with skis. I was surprised that there was no where to buy them anymore because they are perfect for roof and hitch mount ski racks. I recently started to produce Ski Slips, which are waterproof 4mil poly bags for protecting skis from road grime, salt and muck. https://sloggn.com/collections/tool...eavy-duty-poly-ski-bag?variant=42857470886039

Attachments

• Primary Silo.jpg
    Primary Silo.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 16

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a bit of self promotion but very relevant to the topic. I also remember the beefy ski bags that airlines use to give out for flying with skis. I was surprised that there was no where to buy them anymore because they are perfect for roof and hitch mount ski racks. I recently started to produce Ski Slips, which are waterproof 4mil poly bags for protecting skis from road grime, salt and muck. https://sloggn.com/collections/tool...eavy-duty-poly-ski-bag?variant=42857470886039
Funny, I had this idea year back but to market it as "Ski Condom" it would be rolled io in a foil wrapper like a condom.

Sloggn

Skier
Funny, I had this idea year back but to market it as "Ski Condom" it would be rolled io in a foil wrapper like a condom.
"Ski Condom" was definitely a strong name contender. It also lends itself to some awesome tag lines:

How about: Protect your equipment, ride with confidence.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Ski Condom" was definitely a strong name contender. It also lends itself to some awesome tag lines:

How about: Protect your equipment, glide with confidence.
Magnum Sized: For those long boards.
Ribbed for aerodynamics

I had a bunch.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So @Philpug .... leave the Ski Condom off and is that now riding "Bareback"???? :huh::decisions: Gives new meaning to pimpin' ROCK skis like The Bones!!!!! Let the names and memes begin! Your sales will go through the roof! I definitely want the BLUE suv!... OMG wait, actually just realized after posting...... I HAVE A BLUE SUV!!!!!!!! OMG Okay, growing up now.... Don't judge me. It's a process...... :beercheer:

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Very nice. Only minor downside is they will be noisy at high speeds but who cares.
Do you ship to Europe?

Sloggn

Skier
Very nice. Only minor downside is they will be noisy at high speeds but who cares.
Do you ship to Europe?
Not this season but for sure next year. As for the noise, it's really not noticeable, by the time they are clamped into the rack there isn't too much material flapping around.

Attachments

• in Rack.jpg
    in Rack.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few airlines will accept skis only if they are in a hard case. One trip last winter Alaska Air managed to slice a hard case so far through that you could see the damaged skis in it. I used to use the plastic bags back in the day, also.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not this season but for sure next year. As for the noise, it's really not noticeable, by the time they are clamped into the rack there isn't too much material flapping around.
nice,

ribbed may not be bad idea if using a vacuum seal .. food bags or a special sized vac bag w/valve.

nice idea

vac skis.jpeg

Sponsor