• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Private for one year old

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
No. Just say no. Unless the two new people are the parents. That might be fun. Or maybe even effective, if you can show them what to do. If you don't feel like your experience prepares you for that, you need to make the call to get out of this booking.

@JaneB, how many months old is this kid? I think you said you had the date of birth on the reservation. And what day is the lesson booked for?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. Just say no. Unless the two new people are the parents. That might be fun. Or maybe even effective, if you can show them what to do. If you don't feel like your experience prepares you for that, you need to make the call to get out of this booking.

@JaneB, how many months old is this kid? I think you said you had the date of birth on the reservation. And what day is the lesson booked for?

I kind of like the idea of offering a service with an instructor who is fully on board with the idea teaching parent(s) and a young child how to work together to teach the child to ski. But it would have to be with some very definitive expectations of all parties involved.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is a way different situation to teach your own 1-year-old than it is to hand them off to an instructor. While I don't know the OP's age/experience, it is very common to have young, college-age kids who may or may not have any experience with kids that age, much less the additional risks assumed on a ski hill. They may not even know how to change a diaper. I'm all for parents teaching their kids to ski young (I was on the mountain at around 20 months myself) but expecting someone else to do it, nope.
With a 1yr old I would expect that one of the parents are near by less than 50m/yrds away at any point in time. Secondly, it would be a bunny hill. Third, mostly like the instructor will also act as the lift (just pull the kid up the hill far enough to allow allow a downhill experience. Finally , from hand off the completion of lesson like I said earlier 10min to 20min max.

When we started with our kids, it was on the snow bank from the driveway on the front lawn with a grand elevation of 4ft and and a 50-60ft run. 15mins was more than enough to get 3-4 runs in. I didn’t even wear skis or boots.

Seriously, it not that complicated or difficult. Its about safe fun and an experience.

As to potty issues, that a parents problem, they solve it.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With a 1yr old I would expect that one of the parents are near by less than 50m/yrds away at any point in time. Secondly, it would be a bunny hill. Third, mostly like the instructor will also act as the lift (just pull the kid up the hill far enough to allow allow a downhill experience. Finally , from hand off the completion of lesson like I said earlier 10min to 20min max.

When we started with our kids, it was on the snow bank from the driveway on the front lawn with a grand elevation of 4ft and and a 50-60ft run. 15mins was more than enough to get 3-4 runs in. I didn’t even wear skis or boots.

Seriously, it not that complicated or difficult. Its about safe fun and an experience.

As to potty issues, that a parents problem, they solve it.

The point is that none of these issues have been addressed with the instructor. The scheduled instructor has no information.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Bad has now gone to worse.

I checked my schedule and there are now THREE people in this private. The one year old is still listed. There are now two more but names/ages aren’t available.

My resort has been selling “privates” and allowing three people to attend.

How do you spell “I quit!” ?...

Some resorts do a "parents and me" lesson. Its focused on the child and the parents are there to learn what and how they can help their wee one enjoy skiing. If this is the type of product sold, it could be very fun. They also may tip handsomely.

TS
JaneB

JaneB

Booting up
Skier
Some resorts do a "parents and me" lesson. Its focused on the child and the parents are there to learn what and how they can help their wee one enjoy skiing. If this is the type of product sold, it could be very fun. They also may tip handsomely.
This is not sold by our ski area. At this point, I don’t know who the additional two people are.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Again why make it complicated and worry, when you go to start the lesson, you set the ground rules and expectations with the parents. No agree, no teach. Simple actually.

Otherwise have fun, it could be your best and most remembered instructing experience.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Youngest skier I've had on skis was 19 months old. One and two year olds are parlor ticks if you can get them to stand. Parents with lots of patience can get a three year to slide and make turns.

TS
JaneB

JaneB

Booting up
Skier

The child is 20 months old. The lesson is Friday the 13th.!!!

TS
JaneB

JaneB

Booting up
Skier
Is there no way to just ASK the person who took the booking what exactly the expectations are?
The ticket office books all the lessons. Therefore that person is unlikely to know much about ski instruction.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This is not sold by our ski area. At this point, I don’t know who the additional two people are.

FWIW, at this point, the lack of clear information from the ski school is very odd. It seems more than fair to ask for a clear explaination. If none is given, then there's a hard choice to make.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Again why make it complicated and worry, when you go to start the lesson, you set the ground rules and expectations with the parents. No agree, no teach. Simple actually.

Otherwise have fun, it could be your best and most remembered instructing experience.

Except that this would create a customer service nightmare for the resort and potentially a loss of job.

@JaneB I agree with @markojp at this point. It would probably be good to talk to your manager within the school to understand their expectations in the situation. Is it possible that this ticket office person booked it and your manager hasn't registered the age of the child?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Worst case it's a 2 hour babysitting nightmare. Best case you have fun and the parents are big tippers.

Sponsor

Staff online