• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Private for one year old

JaneB

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone ever gotten an assignment for a two hour private with a ONE year old child!??

I have this in my book for next week; hoping it’s a joke but I’m fearing its real....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most ski schools won't book under 4 years old. IMHO, they forgot the 0 and it's a 10 year old.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Where would they even find boots? Or bindings that released for that weight? When my daughter was just learning, she had to be a certain weight before we could even get seasonal rentals.

Plus I thought you had to be out of diapers.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Don’t do it, or expect to spend 2 hours with a screaming baby who can’t even talk.

dm

TS
JaneB

JaneB

Booting up
Skier
It’s not a mistake. The date of birth is listed.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I’m thinking of refusing to do it.
I have CS1, but this is absurd.

At two ski schools I've been booked for privates with 3 year olds. They are good for about 3/4 hour. I had them skiing towards me as I was skiing backwards. Two learned to ski parallel and make turns just fine, one kept looking around for mommy and couldn't control direction of travel due to upper body rotation.

The nursery does have one year olds, but the rental stock won't fit their feet. These parents may have bought little pretend boots and pretend skis. Check the fit on those boots, and hope the bindings let go if necessary. If the kid shows up with real boots and real skis, then the parents may have been working on skiing with this kid already, and you could have a very fun two hours.

There are internet videos of one year olds skiing.

Sometimes instructors just walk these 3yos around in ski boots for most or all of the hour in the play area if they are crying or resistant. The goal is to get resistant kids happy on snow, and to develop a trusting relationship between the kid and the instructor so eventually downhill sliding can happen. If this is what you end up doing, consider it investment in the future. These parents could book you every visit, for years, if they trust you to teach their baby. If the child is willing, you can help her/him ski downhill, with skis parallel, using a pole for support or some other method of support. It may be difficult to teach a young one to hold a wedge, and it's a crime to do that if the kid can slide parallel more easily. Two instructors can work with the child on a pitch, one standing with the child on the start of a very short straight run down the hill, with skis parallel, and the other catching the child at the bottom. Or one instructor can ski backwards in front, poles held out horizontal, with kid holding onto the poles.

Good luck. Just think of the tip!

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
:poo:It's the groups of 1 year olds that are more challenging. I'd rather change one kid's diapers than ten kids' diapers :poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Two hours with a one-year-old!, ...must include nap-time.
I skied with my niece when she was 18 months and her two kids when they were 18 months & although they could handle it, it was always in small doses for short amounts of time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Where would they even find boots?
Every season at least one person asks the boot guys and swap threads where to get tiny toddler boots. I've walked past these at the bottom of a thrift store bin for at least 6 months now and today I decided to grab them for the nest person who is desperately looking to get their 2 year old on skis LOL. They're Mondo 14.0 and BSL 203mm. They look itty botty LOL Will hang on to them for a grandkid down the road unless someone here really wants them.

1583598768730.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think you're an expensive baby sitter in this case unfortunately..
THIS. Laying odds the resort doesn't offer regular daycare/snow play for 1 year olds so private lesson it shall be LOL

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wouldn't surprise me to hear about someone asking to book a private lesson for their fur baby. Some folks refuse to leave their dog home alone these days..

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ask if they can have hot chocolate and other treats. Do snow angels and such too to break it up. Ask if they are in diapers. Most ski schools don't take kids who are not potty trained. Finally, if it is cold, go inside for breaks often. They won't know to tell you they are cold, so you have to look at their hands and face frequently.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Has anyone ever gotten an assignment for a two hour private with a ONE year old child!??

I have this in my book for next week; hoping it’s a joke but I’m fearing its real....
In CS1, we were trained to play with the younger ones. So play. Patty cake, patty cake... Do it with the feet and work on hip rotation and leg abduction.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The ski school I worked for called kids under 5 "fifty pound weights"...

Sponsor

Staff online