• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Private for one year old

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
53a46c5977c35b7e8a6f52069cfc7f08--monthly-photos-sleep-well[1].jpg

They say first days are easier on a snowboard.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Every season at least one person asks the boot guys and swap threads where to get tiny toddler boots. I've walked past these at the bottom of a thrift store bin for at least 6 months now and today I decided to grab them for the nest person who is desperately looking to get their 2 year old on skis LOL. They're Mondo 14.0 and BSL 203mm. They look itty botty LOL Will hang on to them for a grandkid down the road unless someone here really wants them.

View attachment 95950
Those are the cutest boots I’ve ever seen!

TS
JaneB

JaneB

Booting up
Skier
Our ski school does have an infant and toddlers babysitting service. Sometimes the toddlers go out for brief periods,usually in a tube.

I think that would be a better fit than...me!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Come on be real, it can happen and if it does make it fun. My oldest (and has a disability) had him out on a small hill with a T-bar lift at 15months old. He loved it. If they can walk they can ski. (Look at my avitar thats me at about 2 1/2).

BTW the tinest boots fit as long as the feet don’t pop out.

Just remember if you are laughing and having fun so are they. Your total slope time will likely be 15-30min max. They will get tired quickly.

My memory is scruff of the jacket in one hand (to hold him on the t-bar), t-bar upright in the other hand to hold it under his rear and pain just above the boot cuff as thats where the t-bar caught my leg to drag me up the lift (smile, pain, smile its fun, magic carpets didn’t exist at that hill yet). He had a blast, I hobbled for a few days after.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That is absolutely insane. Maybe you should ask the ski school director to take this lesson. He can show you how it should be done.

The Dartmouth Skiway has Play-Ski sessions for 3 year olds. They are 1 hour group lessons over a six week period. There may be times when we don’t go outside and do boot games inside. (Rain, etc.) A parent must be on-site during the session. We stress play over ski. Skiing and running around on skis is just part of the play. We want the kids to have fun and become life long skiers.

We don’t do no stinking diapers!!!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It’s ridiculous, but at this point we’re curious, so we hope you go.

Me too. Please report back. You never can predict what will happen. What day is this lesson booked for?

Once at Cannon a couple booked a two-hour race lesson for their three children, ages 5 , 6, and 7. The SSD was incredulous, until he talked with these parents. The kids had been in race lessons since age 3. He gathered five instructors (it was a slow weekday), set up a course, and assigned three of us to teach, one for each kid. I got the 5 year old girl. Wow could she carve. She was tiny, all smiles, didn't want to talk just ski, and a fantastic skier, the best of the three.

The parents were on a tour of New England and didn't want their kids to have too much of a break away from their normal skiing program. The parents were satisfied, and the kids had fun and good practice. Each one of us got a $20 tip.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I met a racer with the Austrian ski team who taught his kids to ski as soon as they could walk. He skied them all over the mountain between his legs and the kids were fantastic by the time they were 3. That's not the point here. A one year old will still be in diapers, only recently stood up and began walking, and cannot yet talk well enough to communicate with anyone other than mommy and daddy. It's just plain ridiculous.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Two hours is ridiculous if the parents expect a lot of improvement. If they expect baby sitting, that's OK and it is obvious they have money to burn. But no instructor over 30 needs to be bending over for two hours working with such a short student. I bet you can get out of it without bad consequences if you talk about your back problems.

Otherwise, @JaneB, I think you are taking one for the team.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
There is a big difference between a 12 month old and a 23 month old But they are both 1 year olds.
Many three-year-olds are ready to learn & can actually ski In a ski school setting. Often after getting the basics they can handle a small group environment. Even at three years old, two hours of straight skiing sessions are usually too much.

I have had parents purchase two hour private lessons for young children and then try to split it into an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. What they don’t realize is that they are taking the rest of the day away from the instructors ability to teach more hours.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Come on be real, it can happen and if it does make it fun. My oldest (and has a disability) had him out on a small hill with a T-bar lift at 15months old. He loved it. If they can walk they can ski. (Look at my avitar thats me at about 2 1/2).

BTW the tinest boots fit as long as the feet don’t pop out.

Just remember if you are laughing and having fun so are they. Your total slope time will likely be 15-30min max. They will get tired quickly.

My memory is scruff of the jacket in one hand (to hold him on the t-bar), t-bar upright in the other hand to hold it under his rear and pain just above the boot cuff as thats where the t-bar caught my leg to drag me up the lift (smile, pain, smile its fun, magic carpets didn’t exist at that hill yet). He had a blast, I hobbled for a few days after.

It is a way different situation to teach your own 1-year-old than it is to hand them off to an instructor. While I don't know the OP's age/experience, it is very common to have young, college-age kids who may or may not have any experience with kids that age, much less the additional risks assumed on a ski hill. They may not even know how to change a diaper. I'm all for parents teaching their kids to ski young (I was on the mountain at around 20 months myself) but expecting someone else to do it, nope.

Last edited:
TS
JaneB

JaneB

Booting up
Skier
I’m past middle age and have taught part time for 13 years. I’m an L2.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m past middle age and have taught part time for 13 years. I’m an L2.

Well, that's good, I guess. I was just pointing out that the general expectation of parents to deal with this has many risks, one of which is handing their child to a person wholly unprepared to deal with it. I'm dying to know what possessed a ski school to even consider this option.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Our ski school does have an infant and toddlers babysitting service. Sometimes the toddlers go out for brief periods,usually in a tube.

I think that would be a better fit than...me!
Cool, how much would it cost you to hand them over to them for an hour and 45 minutes then go pick them back up right before the "lesson" is over?

TS
JaneB

JaneB

Booting up
Skier
Bad has now gone to worse.

I checked my schedule and there are now THREE people in this private. The one year old is still listed. There are now two more but names/ages aren’t available.

My resort has been selling “privates” and allowing three people to attend.

How do you spell “I quit!” ?...

Sponsor

Staff online