• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Would you attend an on snow instruction academy?

• Yes

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • Yes, I am an Instructor

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 34.2%

• Total voters
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I voted no - because it's planned for the East Coast. And it makes sense for the beta test.

But if it works and you do it again next season, I'd be interested if there was a West Coast option.
Then you can change your vore to yes. This would be long term and west would be included.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
the poll is only for a clinic this year in the East, so keep that in mind.
In that case, No then.
  1. I have Ikon pass. So the cost shot up once them expensive Stowe lift ticket are added. (With most people committed to either Ikon or Epic, I wonder if this is an issue for 1/2 of the members)
  2. More over, I want to ski more than I want to improve my skiing. And that’s a result of the multi-mountain pass too. With limited vacation, I want to use them to ski new mountains I never thought of before (before the product goes away next year or 2)
  3. I’m at a stage of my life/skiing I want to scale back rather than expand in terrains I ski. (I don’t want to do terrain with consequence any more). I really don’t want to be tempted to jump off cliffs no more.
Had this been offered 5 years back, I would have jumped on it. Now, not so much. But in another 5 years, I might be interested again for whatever motivation. Who knows.

Just not right now.

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hiring big-name coaches is great for PR, but frankly, I’d rather take a lesson or two from someone like Epic or Josh (who, to me, are pretty big-name fellows in their own right). I attended an ESA and found it hard to relate to my big-name coach. I didn’t learn much and wrote off camps completely. Until. I attended two camps at Jackson Hole and did far better (until I trashed my ankle at the second camp) because the group size was much smaller (8 vs. 3!) and our instructor was very focused on our progress and skills. These camps were just plain fun. ESA, not so much.

I occasionally toy with the idea of trying one more camp, but my reality now is, I barely get 10 days on the hill a season now. I don’t have the opportunity to practice what I’ve already learned—and forgotten. Think carefully about the pool of great instructors you already know and have active on your website. Be clear on why you really want to do this: PR? Building community? Offering wow-able instruction? Something else? Good luck with your beta test, wishing you all the best. ogsmile

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I occasionally toy with the idea of trying one more camp, but my reality now is, I barely get 10 days on the hill a season now. I don’t have the opportunity to practice what I’ve already learned—and forgotten.

Counterpoint: a combination of factors, including a deliberately sandbagged questionnaire and some massively ill-fitting boots, got me into the *wrong* ESA groups, on two separate occasions. I got both StuC and Weems ogsmile who, it just so happened, were teaching from-the-ground-up skill and drill sequences.

Yup. Because I dropped down to the lowest group level, I got the review tools that bring short-season skiers to level in two days or less.

One can get lucky eh.*

*Ya, OK, so Weems kicked me out on the first day, what's your point? :(:)

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
All those who are interested "but only when it comes to my home ski area/where I have a pass/ etc" will be missing out.

Or can't afford the travel and pass in addition to $500-700 in addition to their regular ski expenses? I'm not going to the Gathering or planning to travel for skiing this season.

Then you can change your vore to yes. This would be long term and west would be included.

@epic said the poll was for the long-term, not just this season's beta on the east coast. Which is it?

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hiring big-name coaches is great for PR, but frankly, I’d rather take a lesson or two from someone like Epic or Josh (who, to me, are pretty big-name fellows in their own right). I attended an ESA and found it hard to relate to my big-name coach. I didn’t learn much and wrote off camps completely. Until. I attended two camps at Jackson Hole and did far better (until I trashed my ankle at the second camp) because the group size was much smaller (8 vs. 3!) and our instructor was very focused on our progress and skills. These camps were just plain fun. ESA, not so much.

I occasionally toy with the idea of trying one more camp, but my reality now is, I barely get 10 days on the hill a season now. I don’t have the opportunity to practice what I’ve already learned—and forgotten. Think carefully about the pool of great instructors you already know and have active on your website. Be clear on why you really want to do this: PR? Building community? Offering wow-able instruction? Something else? Good luck with your beta test, wishing you all the best. ogsmile

I agree with SugarCube. There are many fabulous instructors on this forum and at the various resorts who love teaching and do a great job. I thought the earlier epicski academies were better than some ones with "big name" coaches. Some of the "big name" coaches don't relate as well to recreational skiers. Obviously, this is a huge generalization but selection of instructors is important.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...the poll is only for a clinic this year in the East, so keep that in mind. If we are going to do it, it starts here and then it can branch out.

This would be long term and west would be included.

@epic said the poll was for the long-term, not just this season's beta on the east coast. Which is it?

I think @Monique got it backwards, but the question is a good one... should folks respond "Yes" to the poll if they'd be interested in the future? Or only if they think they could make this year?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To my loss I was never able to make it to any of the ESA events. Overall, I think most were happy with the events. That said, I think what I remember that folks liked the best were skiing with the coaches that were regular forum members like Bob Barnes, Weems, etc. I’d love to head up to Stowe to ski with Epic and have been thinking about doing that with or without a special event.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think @Monique got it backwards, but the question is a good one... should folks respond "Yes" to the poll if they'd be interested in the future? Or only if they think they could make this year?

Sorry, yes. I said it wrong, but that's what I meant to ask.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with SugarCube. There are many fabulous instructors on this forum and at the various resorts who love teaching and do a great job. I thought the earlier epicski academies were better than some ones with "big name" coaches. Some of the "big name" coaches don't relate as well to recreational skiers. Obviously, this is a huge generalization but selection of instructors is important.

Interesting comments! My experience with the ESAs seemed to be different from yours. I am not sure what you mean by “big name” coaches, but all of the coaches that I met and dealt with had a passion towards teaching that I envied. Compared to a walk up lesson - my previous experience with instruction - I found that the coaches at ESA had a lot more experience teaching and were better equipped to find a way for me to understand various concepts. It is possible that I viewed ESA through rose colored glasses, because it my introduction to thinking about skiing in a different way and a literal introduction to a lot of people who have become good friends.

FWIW, I remember a story that a well known member of the demo team told. He was late to lineup and was given a group of never-evers to teach. And he did the lesson joyfully (as he should!). And most of his joy was watching these people who have never skied having a great time in their first lesson.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting comments! My experience with the ESAs seemed to be different from yours. I am not sure what you mean by “big name” coaches, but all of the coaches that I met and dealt with had a passion towards teaching that I envied. Compared to a walk up lesson - my previous experience with instruction - I found that the coaches at ESA had a lot more experience teaching and were better equipped to find a way for me to understand various concepts. It is possible that I viewed ESA through rose colored glasses, because it my introduction to thinking about skiing in a different way and a literal introduction to a lot of people who have become good friends.

FWIW, I remember a story that a well known member of the demo team told. He was late to lineup and was given a group of never-evers to teach. And he did the lesson joyfully (as he should!). And most of his joy was watching these people who have never skied having a great time in their first lesson.

Maybe a better way to say that was that instructors should not be overlooked just because they are not demo team members or other nationally known names.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Nancy, most of the Demo Team Members (actually at this point, all of them) that we would invite, we would be inviting first because we have worked with them before, and 2nd because they are Demo Team members.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe a better way to say that was that instructors should not be overlooked just because they are not demo team members or other nationally known names.

Agreed! Any of the instructors in this type of event should be talented both a coach and as a person able to relate to students. I would respectfully suggest that the most talented instructors have worked their way up the food chain because of their talents!

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m confused. Is this for mere mortals or a clinic for instructors?

Sponsor

Staff online