• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Would you attend an on snow instruction academy?

• Yes

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • Yes, I am an Instructor

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 34.2%

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Possible return of a Teaching Academy

Long standing member @epic is looking to spearhead a program that could bring back ESA, from the old Barking Bears days. It looks there is a way to possibly work to create private 2-Day Clinics with using high level coaches including current and/or National Team Members, Examiners, and perhaps some Dev Team Members such as Josh Matta or Epic. For best resullts, groups will be limited to 4-6.

We are looking at doing a beta test of this possibly early 2019 and we need to gauge interest. This two day clinic, very well held at Stowe or a possible near by mountain/resort. As for a timeframe, we are considering sometime in late-Feb or Early March for this trial academy then if there is good turn out, an eastern early season 2 day tune up in December next year and possibly western events too. If you are an nstructor, this will count towards your accreditation.

Costs are yet to be determined but the estimate at this point will be in the $500-700 range for a 2 day clinic (plus tickets and lodging). This estimate range is based on if we can use local coaches and if we have to bring coaches in. Considering the cost for a typical group lesson at a resort, it will still be significantly less especially considering the level of instruction that you will receive.

Please vote. If you are just reading the site and not a member, we would like to hear your thoughts too. Please create an account so you can vote and see if these logistics work.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As for the trial run, it sounds like it could conflict with Gathering dates which could hurt attendance. But I’m interested in the concept.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As for the trial run, it sounds like it could conflict with Gathering dates which could hurt attendance. But I’m interested in the concept.
We know that could be a concern, many only have so much time that they can take off work. This is to gauge interest and to see of a program can be feasible. The beta test could be done with minimum attendance.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
We’d do our best to avoid date conflict. I almost wish we could tee it up for January.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would love to attend something like this and would think it would be of great value in both furthering my skiing and at that price point. I do think offering both an east coast and west option would be best--maybe in alternating years?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would love to attend something like this and would think it would be of great value in both furthering my skiing and at that price point. I do think offering both an east coast and west option would be best--maybe in alternating years?
IF this can be done...we would like to do an west (Colorado) and possiblly far west (Tahoe) early season tune up too.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, right now I don’t have the time but could be interested in future years if it works out.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I'll do the far west one, provided I can come out a tad early, play blackjack in Reno, and get properly fitted in a suitable boot before the academy begins. That's one thing I've consistently neglected - boot fitting, not gambling.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Already committed to clinics this year, but would consider it for future. Especially if it counts toward required CEU's. And it would be especially nice to include my spouse who can't join in the current CEU clinics. West only though.... The price point is reasonable but above that of PSIA two-day clinics, so it could hamper attendance. Not complaining about the price, just making an observation.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I voted yes, with reservations about the total cost (> $1000?) for those of us who don't have Stowe passes. Besides which, my vacation days are pretty much committed for this year. Are you thinking mid-week or weekend?

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Didn't vote because it's East coast but would be interested in a clinic in the Western USA in the next couple of years. When travel costs come into play it quickly becomes a toss up between a two day clinic on the East coast (with better instructors) vs. 2-3 days of private lessons here in CO (admittedly taking a gamble on the instructor). I am not an instructor so unless you can make the CEU's count towards my insurance license they hold no value to me.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flawed poll, but I answered Yes. You need to consider "Yes, if held where I hold a season pass, or can use an Epic, Ikon, etc pass."

Ski dollars committed to Killington.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Voted no since I"m lucky to take one lesson a year. If I were single then probably but I might be too busy touring the world on skis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What skill levels would be appropriate? I'd definitely be interested, but the actual dates are important, and I likely couldn't attend this year.

(Also, the question should say "attend" not "attent")

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An emphatic yes from me.....depending on when it happens. I'm at JH and then the Gathering so late Feb isn't an option. Early March is possible but would require a bit of rearranging of my schedule. Sooo, if there are options for dates I'd love to see them so I could commit or not. Is a Friday-Saturday or Sunday-Monday clinic an option? All of my weekends are partially or fully booked.

I took one lesson in my life when I was 12 and am self-taught. I'm "advanced" but I'm positive there are flaws all over my technique so I've been thinking of getting a private lesson this year to at least identify what I need to work on. This would be perfect.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Keep the discussion coming guys. Feel free to discuss this in it's entirety, but the poll is only for a clinic this year in the East, so keep that in mind. If we are going to do it, it starts here and then it can branch out.

Sponsor

Staff online