• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Would you attend an on snow instruction academy?

• Yes

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • Yes, I am an Instructor

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 34.2%

• Total voters

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m confused. Is this for mere mortals or a clinic for instructors?

Asked and answered earlier in thread (quotes below).... no it isn't for instructors. There's been a wide variety of skill levels participating in the past, from experts down to beginners.

===========================================
Is this a clinic for instructors?

It hasn't been in past iterations - but instructors could attend and get continuing education credit.

I answered 'Yes'+1 - pending medical clearance.
What skill levels would be appropriate? I'd definitely be interested, but the actual dates are important, and I likely couldn't attend this year.

(Also, the question should say "attend" not "attent")

In the past, levels ranged from near never evers to "go jump off that". How many people remember seeing STu Campbell teaching the beginners on the magic carpet? Does it get better than that?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marcia came back from her first day of her first clinic and told me that the two other women in her group went to the spa in the afternoon so she had a one on one lesson with this guy Stu. I quickly schooled her on the significant fortune of this. (Although she did not know much about StuC at that point, the day with him confirmed for her that he was something special)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with SugarCube. There are many fabulous instructors on this forum and at the various resorts who love teaching and do a great job. I thought the earlier epicski academies were better than some ones with "big name" coaches. Some of the "big name" coaches don't relate as well to recreational skiers. Obviously, this is a huge generalization but selection of instructors is important.

I have to agree. I care less about the name and more about the person.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious if there was any conclusion on whether this would happen this winter.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
You should talk to @cgeib about this type of thing as he was basically executive producer of the esa's after the initial ones. He's not going to talk about it here. It's highly involved to say the least.
I can tell you it's a minefield. Esp when you start going to multiple states. That's multiple workman's comp issues, insurance, etc. Really complicated. Then people don't sign up till two weeks before. To do it quickly you're going to do it through the ski school?

In terms of instruction the best format was never realized imo because nolo went the star instructor route. Bob's plan was to have a set curriculum sort of with everyone (instructors) on the same page in terms of instruction. Instructor would be selected who were in sync with the concept.
The very first esa in 2003 Bob did a short manual for the instructors. His concept was to build on that type of thing.

Ice Queen

Booting up
Skier
You should talk to @cgeib about this type of thing as he was basically executive producer of the esa's after the initial ones. He's not going to talk about it here. It's highly involved to say the least.
I can tell you it's a minefield. Esp when you start going to multiple states. That's multiple workman's comp issues, insurance, etc. Really complicated. Then people don't sign up till two weeks before. To do it quickly you're going to do it through the ski school?

In terms of instruction the best format was never realized imo because nolo went the star instructor route. Bob's plan was to have a set curriculum sort of with everyone (instructors) on the same page in terms of instruction. Instructor would be selected who were in sync with the concept.
The very first esa in 2003 Bob did a short manual for the instructors. His concept was to build on that type of thing.
I actually attended the first ESA in 2003! It was right after I started skiing (my second season actually) and it was really fun. Would definitely do it again. Our instructor was Kristie Robertson, I think, and she's still teaching at Stowe to the best of my knowledge. The next year I had Barb Marshall as an instructor -- I still try to book a lesson once a year with her at Sugarbush. She is awesome.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would like to attend but I need to know more about the dates because I have made some vacation plans already. One question does come to mind about would the resort be upset with bringing our own instructors? They sell lessons and it would be taking money away from their own ski school.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like to attend but I need to know more about the dates because I have made some vacation plans already. One question does come to mind about would the resort be upset with bringing our own instructors? They sell lessons and it would be taking money away from their own ski school.
It would absolutely have to have the approval of the resort. That's a given. I don't think there's any resort that would allow it without approval.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Well this would need resort approval. The way this is happening the logistics are if anything easier than the old ESA.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I’m confused. Is this for mere mortals or a clinic for instructors?

all of the above, the people leading it will be employees of the PSIA in some capacity, but it not intended to work towards standards but will probably not hurt.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well this would need resort approval. The way this is happening the logistics are if anything easier than the old ESA.
Sorry I don't know more about the old ESA.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bob's plan was to have a set curriculum sort of with everyone (instructors) on the same page in terms of instruction. Instructor would be selected who were in sync with the concept.

Bob is clearly a smart guy who not only knows ski instruction but also how connect the instructor to the student. His approach would be an excellent starting point imho.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Changing answer to "no" for this season because:

1) East
2) Vacation schedule is pretty full already (would need to know earlier what dates)

In general, I am interested if:
1) Location is west. Bonus points if within 3 hr drive of a major airport.
2) Some days of the clinic fall on a weekend. This minimizes days off from work required.
3) Dates/location set 3 months (or more) in advance. I can sometimes make 'last minute' schedules work, but not always.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My thoughts aren't aimed at you, Seldomski, or anyone else. ogsmile

Maybe I'm confused. I don't think the poll is asking if someone is interested in an east coast teaching academy. It doesn't specify location or year; just whether you're interested in the idea of an academy. I would think that based on the posts that nearly all of us would say yes in the poll itself and then post a qualifier about location. That would tell the organizers that yes, we're all interested in the idea so move forward with your pilot clinic and expand it if it works well.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I hear you @TheArchitect . I read the poll title as 'feasibility' not 'interest' level. I am very interested, but that interest is not converted to $$ unless the conditions I listed are met. Just trying to provide some feedback on this that the planners can choose to act on - or not. They may not be interested in catering to people who need to fly somewhere to ski, or have restrictive vacation, and that's cool too. Just offering my perspective.

I hope to see this project take off. But it is unlikely I would support it directly with $$ this year.

Cheers!

James

Out There
Instructor
I was assuming this was Northeast, Stowe. Is that wrong?

Sponsor