• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Official Copper Mountain Thread 15/16

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
[QUOTE="tball, post: 17923, member: outybody want to make some turns tomorrow? I'll be on the mountain maybe 10-1 Sunday. I'm far from 100% so I'll be stopping quite a bit.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for waiting around on my out of shape a$$. Nice to finally meet you. Can't wait to ski with your girls someday.

OH and today did not suck!
20160117_105725.jpg

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Patrol told me the Tucker Cat would probably be running next weekend......most likely only the Nacho but we'll take it.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
22 days till Michel & I get there:) Keep building that base and yay to the Cat as we'll be there midweek and I hope to hitch a ride.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
:daffy:7" reported overnight

More like 10 up top! The good thing about copper is that its often out of site, out of mind so it doesn't get as many skiers. While Breck may get more snow (even with their questionable snow reports), Copper can get more than reported based on elevation and aspect. There was one occasion a couple years ago where I found mid-knee deep powder off of superbee (Northern Aspect), and near WAIST DEEP pow off of Resolution (Eastern Aspect) roughly a half mile away.

Skied there Saturday and Sunday, while both days were good, Sunday was better. I was skiing with a snowboarder friend who was adamant on hitting the terrain park. I had to tell him it's downright sacrilegious to ski the terrain park on pow day! Not to mention you probably won't even get enough speed to make it to the landing area. We did find a few little rocks off of mountain chief that suffices though.

Speaking of Resolution, the chair broke, again, for 15 minutes. I was only about 80 yards from the top terminal and saw someone in there, probably hitting things with a hammer. If it weren't such a great pow day, I'd probably complain about my lack of a free hot chocolate ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: nay

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Lucked out and caught patrol chute as it opened at 2PM for the first time all season with directed skiing.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 11

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
OH and today did not suck!
20160117_105725-jpg.2727

AGREED!
Like Dean said above, total hero snow. I wish I could ski like that everyday!

We were able to get first tracks down Free Fall Glade and 17 Glade and it was awesome.

I'm always trying to figure out the best action plan for a powder day at Copper. Start with SuperBee and get a couple long runs in? Laps on Excelerator? Head up to Sierra? I've always assumed the bowls open later due to control work and miss the fresh lines.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm always trying to figure out the best action plan for a powder day at Copper. Start with SuperBee and get a couple long runs in? Laps on Excelerator? Head up to Sierra? I've always assumed the bowls open later due to control work and miss the fresh lines.

Not sure there is an obvious answer. @UGASkiDawg and I were talking about the different approaches we take. Part of the problem is you can't count on the terrain report to be accurate. That combined with slow to open bowls due to control work leads to mixed results for me as I'm often trying to hit openings. I'd probably be better off going for a sure thing glade or run, but I'm a sucker for the occasional big win.

jgiddyup

Skier
Webcam looks like Copper is getting it good this afternoon and it appears deserted. Michel & I will be there midweek in Feb and somewhat selfishly hope the crowds are the same. I'm sure management (rightly from their POV) doesn't share my opinion;)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Webcam looks like Copper is getting it good this afternoon and it appears deserted. Michel & I will be there midweek in Feb and somewhat selfishly hope the crowds are the same. I'm sure management (rightly from their POV) doesn't share my opinion;)

It will be the same or less crowded

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Attempted to coach pipe at Breck today. Pretty much shut down all day because of high winds, heavy snow, and low visibility. So I was able to make some fun turns through completely untracked snow on the side of the pipe and jump line. When we finally decided to give up at 1, I ventured into some random trees around Peak 8 and 9 and found endless fresh lines.

Back at Copper and it is coming down steady with hardly any wind. Crossing my fingers and praying I don't get saddled with a park lesson tomorrow. If I don't have to work I'll definitely be skiing from about 10 on. If anyone is around, give me a shout. Should be an epic pow day!

jgiddyup

Skier
Attempted to coach pipe at Breck today. Pretty much shut down all day because of high winds, heavy snow, and low visibility. So I was able to make some fun turns through completely untracked snow on the side of the pipe and jump line. When we finally decided to give up at 1, I ventured into some random trees around Peak 8 and 9 and found endless fresh lines.

Back at Copper and it is coming down steady with hardly any wind. Crossing my fingers and praying I don't get saddled with a park lesson tomorrow. If I don't have to work I'll definitely be skiing from about 10 on. If anyone is around, give me a shout. Should be an epic pow day!

Maybe they'll be serving a Taco and a Nacho:)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@nay , be honest, you just post the same picture of your skis every time, don't you?

Reactions: nay

Sponsor