• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Official Copper Mountain Thread 15/16

carvemeister

Booting up
Skier
I think styrofoam means a large sheet of styrofoam, not pellets. We have had a lot of wind, so above treeline it is dry but firm, sorta edgeable but grabby. I haven't been out this week, but that's what I gather from photos and reports. See the last couple of pages of this thread, which you probably already have done. My guess would be to stick to north-facing stuff at Copper, hold off on Copper Bowl until lunchtime. I bet Union Peak and S lift are still skiing ok? Has anyone been up there?

Oh...styrofoam snow = wind sculpted & grabby as opposed to smooth and chalky = sorta bad. 10-4! Thanks. Not too happy about that. My timing for trips almost always sucks, but we'll make the best of it and the groomers should be real nice with possibly 6-8" of new snow by Monday. Coming out with another couple who've never been out west and was really looking forward to some good bowl or off-piste adventures. Don't think I want to take them into styrofoam country though. Later in the week at Steamboat was hoping to do a lot of tree skiing - I wonder if that's been hammered badly as well.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
So here's an update on the cat situation at Copper. @RachelV and I caught a lift on the 2nd to last cat of the day, thanks in part to the beacon priority. Just before we were heading in to lunch we noticed the cat was running, so we decided to eat and try to jet over to catch it before it closed for the day (2pm). We headed straight over from solitude, with some mighty fine traversing skill we hopped into the line at 1:35 or so, and the patrol patrol closed the line directly after us. They had fully loaded the 2nd to last cat and the last cat was headed down. They were counting off and unfortunately, they were full with the folks right in front of us, leaving us presumably high and dry. So, using my feminine wiles (or really, just some minor communication skills) I asked the patrol if they were doing Beacon Priority since we both had ours on. We were informed that yes, they were, and the cat they had just loaded was the beacon cat, and also that the line for beacons was seperate from the regular queue (and very unmarked and unnoticeable). So, patrol squeezed us into the beacon cat. They also informed everyone who we essentially cut in front of that the reason we got to jump cats was that we had our beacon, and to bring it in the future if they wanted priority cat rides.

I didn't get a chance to grill them on the loading procedure, say if there was a full cat of beacon wearers would that mean they fill the cat and only put some non-beacon wearers in if there was room. ALSO I asked why they didn't have the beacon line marked and was told that it was somewhere up on the new signage but that "people don't read", and I thought that was funny but that they could have made a better sign maybe on the entrance to the beacon queue so it was more intuitive.

Anyway, I think that if you're planning on catching a cat ride, throw the beacon on. It should be noted that they didn't check to see if our beacons were on, or go off of anything other than word of mouth. So, take that as you may. We had a decent run down Fremont glades (the cat actually dropped us off much higher than usual, under the rocky ridge you bootpack up instead of the usual saddle dropoff) through wind buff and slab and chopped up leftover powder lower down.

Picture of my luxury front seat ride.

So basically,

TL;DR- if you want to ride the cat, wear a beacon and get in the unmarked (and probably empty) queue to the right of the main cat line and you won't have to wait as long.

Speaking of cat skiing at Copper, I took my team up Tucker for the first time last Saturday. None of them had ever been in a snow cat before. It was an amazing experience for all of us. Very thrilled to share this moment with some phenomenal young athletes.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I think styrofoam means a large sheet of styrofoam, not pellets. We have had a lot of wind, so above treeline it is dry but firm, sorta edgeable but grabby. I haven't been out this week, but that's what I gather from photos and reports. See the last couple of pages of this thread, which you probably already have done. My guess would be to stick to north-facing stuff at Copper, hold off on Copper Bowl until lunchtime. I bet Union Peak and S lift are still skiing ok? Has anyone been up there?

For reference on the styro...

image.jpeg

No Bueno Sastrugi.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It snowing pretty good at Copper
20160214_144826.jpg
And I got a little guy who has been out all day and refuses to get off the magic carpet.

20160214_144031.jpg

Stop by and say hi if you're here, cause I think we're going to be here until this thing closes :)

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
It snowing pretty good at Copper
View attachment 3948
And I got a little guy who has been out all day and refuses to get off the magic carpet.

View attachment 3949

Stop by and say hi if you're here, cause I think we're going to be here until this thing closes :)

We must have just missed each other. My wife and were out taking a friend's 3 year old down the magic carpet from about 10-1:30. He didn't want to quit either. I took off for some A lift goodness with @MarkEss for a few runs, we could have used you along. If it keeps this up, I'll be out in the morning

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We must have just missed each other. My wife and were out taking a friend's 3 year old down the magic carpet from about 10-1:30. He didn't want to quit either. I took off for some A lift goodness with @MarkEss for a few runs, we could have used you along. If it keeps this up, I'll be out in the morning
Sorry, I missed you! I was hoping to get to the A lift after the kiddos were done, but that didn't happen until 3:45. Heading back from the West Village on the bus around 2 our daughter was pooped but our son said: "hey, we didn't go on the magic carpet by the condo yet!".

Tomorrow is looking good from helmet accumulation:
20160214_153229.jpg
And the snow stake at 5 pm:
1455494623762_800x450.jpg

And, it's still dumping out the window.

Unfortunately, my wife has to go into the office tomorrow so no non-green runs for me this weekend. :doh: Good investing in the future, though.:daffy:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well...it was good...very different snow and old layer conditions all over the mountain..,

image.jpeg