• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think there are a lot of different reasons that new skis might have defective tunes, though often, even usually, new skis are just fine out of the wrappers.

With the V-Werks skis, we are dealing with cutting edge construction, materials and design, so these are pushing the limits constantly of what is known about the whole process: and mistakes can happen along the way, as with any bold, new - sometimes better - way of doing things. Specifically, these are Volkl's effort to push the boundaries on carbon ski design and manufacturing. These skis are so lightweight and thin, yet sturdy, damp in crud and powder. They are stiff and dialed in, in terms of performance, but they use a completely new (and patented?) ridge down the middle of the ski. That thinness can cause unforeseen problems with tuning, as it turns out. And that high ridge down the middle makes the skis harder to base flatten. The product manager for North America told me that to get the skis flat with a Wintersteiger, one must "use very low air pressure with repeated. light passes"; if the normal flattening routine is used, he was saying, you get a badly rail high ski. At some point along the line, apparently, whoever tuned those problem V-Werks Mantras of mine must not have known that, or had other exigencies get in the way instead.

So, to me, it's worth a shout out, a warning, so other folks who might buy this neat new ski will be forewarned, and have an idea of what to do about it, hopefully, more easily than it was for me.

To me, in this case, the end product - those great, cutting edge V-Werks skis - are worth the effort, mostly.

Human endeavor, and invention, just requires constant learning, and constant adjustment. These guys turn out to be very good at it, for the most part, but with glitches.

I tune my own skis, mostly well, over many years, with lapses here and there. Sometimes I'll know what bevels I want on a particular ski and act accordingly. But I almost always ski a new ski first, right out of the wrapper, to see how it handles, and give it the benefit of the doubt in the process, when possible. If it handles well (usually), I'll leave it alone, then make moderate adjustments over time or as needed. I'm all for just skiing as much as possible instead of doing unnecessary work.

The ski specs with tolerances that Atomic and Salomon publish (earlier post) were interesting to me in a number of ways, but sort of casually. Some notes: Those specs differed for race skis compared to freeride skis: often, the freeride and freestyle skiers testing the prototypes like greater play to their bases, and less sharp edges. All the brands have really amazing prototyping to arrive at their own tune specs, whether publicized or not. I've known some of the reps and testers who routinely get their prototype skis each year (usually unmarked black or white), and who then give detailed recommendations on all aspects of the skis and specs, based on many decades of experience in all aspects of the business, overall. Mostly, a wonderful process.

It's no accident that the wider the ski, the looser/more forgiving, in general, the specs applied; or that the specs for women's skis, for example, are also looser/more forgiving than for men's. Same with children's skis. For me it was helpful to realize the reason I rarely have had a ski's edge/base bevels match exactly my whole number degree tools: that reason is embedded in the tolerances or range to the specs, rather than exact, whole degree numbers.

Ski tuning is a human process, making mistakes is part of being human. Adjusting well is also.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, I like anything 110 and above to be tuned to 1.5 and 3. Pow! Take that! ogsmile

James

Out There
Instructor
What is very important is the base bevel is consistent along the length
Well there is the "radial tune". Where the tips and tails are say 1deg and the center is .7. Or .7 tip tail/ .5 center.
I've done a 0.5 center. I wasn't a huge fan.
In general, I'll do a .7 base, 3 side. I started the .7 because at the time if you said it, shops would actually pay attention. It was unusual. I find 0.5 is a little low as I like to do slidey things and ski half pipe.
For base bevels < 0.5 , you really have to be careful with the inside ski. If you get sloppy at speed it can hook up in odd ways.
For wide skis like 95, I'll go to a 1 base these days. I could see going a bit more.

There is actually a tiny amount of titanium in it which is presumably why some bright spark at Völkl decided to claim that their skis are “powered by Titanium”.
I don't see that in AMAG's spec sheet which includes Zirconium at 0.1%
IMG_6391.jpg

"Ti" is also the periodic table symbol for titanium. So there's that

Titanium was named for the Titans in Greek mythology.
I know zero German, but isn't "Titanen" in German "Titans" in English? So "titan" in German is titanium and titan? The suffix 'al' is likely the same in German as English since it's from Latin.

So, Titanal certainly could be interpreted as of or pertaining to titanium. Who knows whether AMAG was referencing the titans or titanium.
Seems that this whole confusion stems from the German language! And a clueless marketing dept.

https://www.amag-al4u.com/fileadmin...uReport/EN/AR-2009-3-EN-AR_3_09_EN_Sports.pdf

Last edited:

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski tuning is a human process, making mistakes is part of being human.

The large manufactures all have fully automatic finishing lines, the skis go in at one end and come out at the other. They are all manufactured by an Austrian company, Fill Gesellschaft M.B.H. https://www.fill.co.at/en/sport/composites/ski/1177.html

The smaller manufactures use machines designed for ski shop use for final finishing, Stöckli uses a Montana Saphir.

I don't see that in AMAG's spec sheet which includes Zirconium at 0.1%
View attachment 72547
"Ti" is also the periodic table symbol for titanium. So there's that

Titanium was named for the Titans in Greek mythology.
I know zero German, but isn't "Titanen" in German "Titans" in English? So "titan" in German is titanium and titan? The suffix 'al' is likely the same in German as English since it's from Latin.

So, Titanal certainly could be interpreted as of or pertaining to titanium. Who knows whether AMAG was referencing the titans or titanium.
Seems that this whole confusion stems from the German language! And a clueless marketing dept.

https://www.amag-al4u.com/fileadmin...uReport/EN/AR-2009-3-EN-AR_3_09_EN_Sports.pdf

If you take a look at the relevant patent, EP0233858 (A1) - 1987-08-26 "Verwendung einer Legierung aus AlZnMgCufür schwingend beanspruchte Sportgeräte" https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0233858B1/de In [0008] it clearly states that it contains 0.05 to 0.1% Titan.

Titanal.jpg

I doubt very much that they were thinking about Greek mythology when they were trying to come up with a name for it. In 1987 when it was launched titanium was still a pretty exotic metal that was little used outside the aerospace industry, so they probably decided to call it Titanal because it sounded high tech. The rest of the metals in the alloy are pretty ordinary.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most skis from major manufacturers come in with a machine tune. The aberrations in the tunes can be from wear in the machine, operator, skis still not fully cured or a combination of these things. The tunes are generally not bad but can't be relied on.

Skis from indie manufacturers are all over the board. Some just belt sand the bases which is a poor finish but also doen't really flatten a ski from tip to tail reliably. Those skis require an excessive amount of preparation to ski well. Others are bettter and some are excellent. I won't discuss brands specifically.

Race skis can come with nice tunes or none at all. Head puts labels on their skis that haven't been tuned indicating that they require tuning. This is akin to plug boots that come with non-DIN soles.

View attachment 72419

I received 18 pairs of Fischer skis to mount and tune for demos a few weeks ago. The higher end ones came with .5 and 3. The junior models came with 1 and 3. We wanted .75 and 3 so did all of the high end skis with the Scout. We did some touch up on the junior models, but mostly just waxing as their edges checked out.

My experience with Fischer skis being properly tuned and ready to ski out of the wrapper has been stellar. With my Dynastars I’ve been pretty lucky with only 1 exception. All 3 of my Head skis skied terrible until I had them tuned.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My experience with Fischer skis being properly tuned and ready to ski out of the wrapper has been stellar. With my Dynastars I’ve been pretty lucky with only 1 exception. All 3 of my Head skis skied terrible until I had them tuned.
How long ago did you have those Head skis and were they Racing skis? Because my 2015 - 2016 Head Rally skis were fine out of the box.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How are the working conditions in these factories? Are the employees paid a fair wage?

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's really difficult and expensive to make a carbon ski that's not twitchy, over reactive, or has a scratchy feel on the snow.

"...scratchy feel on the snow...'

Thank you for that "descriptor". I've been looking for a way to describe that feel...sort of the opposite of "silky smooth"..for a long time!

James

Out There
Instructor
The large manufactures all have fully automatic finishing lines, the skis go in at one end and come out at the other. They are all manufactured by an Austrian company, Fill Gesellschaft M.B.H. https://www.fill.co.at/en/sport/composites/ski/1177.html

The smaller manufactures use machines designed for ski shop use for final finishing, Stöckli uses a Montana Saphir.

If you take a look at the relevant patent, EP0233858 (A1) - 1987-08-26 "Verwendung einer Legierung aus AlZnMgCufür schwingend beanspruchte Sportgeräte" https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0233858B1/de In [0008] it clearly states that it contains 0.05 to 0.1% Titan.

Titanal.jpg

I doubt very much that they were thinking about Greek mythology when they were trying to come up with a name for it. In 1987 when it was launched titanium was still a pretty exotic metal that was little used outside the aerospace industry, so they probably decided to call it Titanal because it sounded high tech. The rest of the metals in the alloy are pretty ordinary.
Great info Swiss Toni!
I think I'll start calling my poles zinc since they have about 7% in them.
So, what material does a Head engineer order for their skis where they patented the use of the term Graphene?

How are the working conditions in these factories? Are the employees paid a fair wage?
According to the joke-
In the automated finishing dept there's one human and one dog. The human feeds the dog and the dog keeps the human away from the machines.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t think 7005 (Scandium) has been used in skis. Atomic have some skis they call Scandium, but I don’t think they have any metal in them. Before Titanal 7085 was used, it was marketed under its French trade name Zicral and before that they used Duralumin.

The working conditions are usually pretty good there are a few shots of the inside of the Amer Sports factory in http://www.buildingoftheyear.bg/en/...n-Hall--Press-Departmentexpansion-of-Ski.html I don’t know what they get, paid but as there are waiting lists for jobs in most of the east European ski factories pay must be better than what is on offer in the surrounding areas.

In Austria the average wage for a ski construction technician, someone who has completed a 3-year formal apprenticeship in ski construction and is conversant with all aspects of ski production earns about 1930 euros a month, which is around $2200.

I think Head use a tiny amount of Graphene nanoplatelets, that are added to the epoxy in a small sheet of pre-cured glass fiber-reinforced epoxy resin impregnated sheet, which they insert into the skis. There is an old adage in ski manufacturing. “If you put it on the inside you can put it on the outside”, there is no requirement regarding amount you put on the inside or whether the material used does anything of any use. Conversely if you don’t put it on the inside you can’t put it on the outside.

James

Out There
Instructor
@Swiss Toni , do you know what machines are used for world cup speed ski tuning where base bevels are apparently specified to 1/100th degree?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
None of my Heads were racing skis.
I guess you have any ask the question one at a time. How long ago were the Head skis purchased AKA what vintage were they?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At the other end of things,
last I checked, the largest ski shop chain in the area (both for rentals and sales, probably) did rental and customer edge tunes on large belt sanders/grinders (forgot their brand name/model). These depended on the skill of the operator to grind whatever base or side bevel angles one happened to eyeball and hold the skis at, very quickly. Some old hands were very good at this, giving tunes that consistently felt great on the snow (whatever they actually were). If you asked these guys what angles the edges were at, they'd answer, "don't know - good ones." In practice, the base bevels, at least, were usually around 1.5 to 2.5 degrees, seemed like.

In the past few years, almost all the old hands got older, sore of limb, sick of the backups and forced catch-ups, the millennial flake-outs, as they called them, and what not - and left, either to front sales only, managerial roles elsewhere in the company, or to other shops where they didn't have to work as much overtime, etc., with others not showing up, scheduling problems, and so on.

Since then, mostly newer, younger folk with less training and experience, have taken those roles, guys who snowboard more than ski, ski standing more straight up on fatter, guys who do things like file/detune the entire edge length of their own skis at 45° to make sure "the skis handle better" (on, say, a pair of Faction 3.0 Prodigies), etc. Not sure the outcomes.

Ah, the smooth, well-oiled machine!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
At the other end of things,
last I checked, the largest ski shop chain in the area (both for rentals and sales, probably) did rental and customer edge tunes on large belt sanders (forgot their brand name/model). These depended on the skill of the operator to grind whatever base or side bevel angles one happened to eyeball and hold the skis at. Some old hands were very good at this, giving tunes that consistently felt great on the snow (whatever they actually were). If you asked these guys what angles the edges were at, they'd answer, "don't know - good ones." In practice, the base bevels, at least, were usually around 1.5 to 2.5 degrees, seemed like.

In the past few years, almost all the old hands got older, sore of limb, sick of the backups and forced catch-ups, the millennial flake-outs, as they called them, and what not - and left, either to front sales only, managerial roles elsewhere in the company, or to other shops where they didn't have to work as much overtime, etc., with others not showing up, scheduling problems, and so on.

Since then, mostly newer, younger folk with less training, have taken those roles, guys who snowboard more than ski, ski standing more straight up on fatter, guys who do things like detune the entire edge length of their own skis at 45° to make sure "the skis handle better" (on, say, a pair of Faction 3.0 Prodigies), etc. Not sure the outcomes.

Ah, the smooth, well-oiled machine!
Yeah, an automatic machine with maybe 3-4 settings max is probably the way to go.
Grindrite?
IMG_6396.JPG

I think that's the base beveling setup.

These are great little machines once you get the hang of running a ski in the vertical position. I like to hold the tip of the ski and the heel of the binding. Walk it through at a steady, but brisk pace. If you slow down you'll smoke an edge in an instant. Timing will take a little practice. Use a digital bevel meter like this one https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Bevel-Gauge-Angle-Protractor/dp/B00M9ZHSPE to make sure that you're angles are correct. The guide head isn't terribly precise. Also, these should really be used as a pregrind machine. The edge they produce is pretty crude, and not all that accurate. I would highly recommend finishing by hand or with a disc machine if one is available.

*Most importantly - Don't ever use the base bevel function of the machine unless you're ripping off base edges for testing skis on your stone. The base edge function will significantly over bevel a ski in one pass. The only exception to this is if you fork out some coin for a mooflex belt, or potentially with a very, very worn sanding belt. The moonflex belt however, requires a very high speed to work effectively, and the st500 doesn't really spin fast enough.

Good luck!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow. I never thought of getting something like that myself. In those shops, I'd mostly focus on my friends and our projects, or watching/learning hand tool stuff, for future reference for myself and my own tuning, and techniques in general, for repairs, setups. And I'd have my hands full, just keeping track of just so much "by hand" stuff going on all the time around me.

That picture of yours is sort of like the main machines, though there were more than one around each shop, set up differently, as I recall, and at least the main one was much bigger and more complicated, maybe, with different functions: and used for both skis and snowboards, mostly.

Sorry for lack of detail, but I'm reluctant to drift any farther with more vague, imprecise and only partly recalled details either. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online