• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, I switched the crank arms last year from 175 down to 170 and felt a lot more power and interestingly BALANCED while standing over the bike, since my feet were closer together underneath me. So, I can't wait to get them again. And I think I replaced my saddle with an ass hatchet LOL! I like it, but it did take my sit bones awhile to adapt to it, as they did hurt a bit more than usual. I like it a lot now.

I'll check that. I do have the shop on alert to order them. Incentive is I'll get them at a better price that way, so I might just have to suffer longer.

As mentioned above, SRAM GX Eagle is the same. If you are fine with the 170mm cranks, I believe this is the one you are looking for in Amazon for $120 at this link. The 7000/7k is the material (aluminum) used in the crank. Three left at the time of this posting. I would order them just in case your shop can't find them within Amazon's return window. I support the LBS, but not at the expense of my knees, and the season is already underway, so no time to waste it in pain.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yes that’s a puncture wound from a pedal pin on the front of my left ankle.

Those traction pins sure do get great traction on skin! I have a "lovely" several inch scar on my shin - but that was kind of a weird freak spin the pedal incident after multiple years riding.

I recommend the G-Form shin guards for getting used to the pins - they are light and don't take much space in a bag. Caveat: their sizes aren't super generous, so I actually ended up using their knee guards as shin guards ... but hey, it worked.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As mentioned above, SRAM GX Eagle is the same. If you are fine with the 170mm cranks, I believe this is the one you are looking for in Amazon for $120 at this link. The 7000/7k is the material (aluminum) used in the crank. Three left at the time of this posting. I would order them just in case your shop can't find them within Amazon's return window. I support the LBS, but not at the expense of my knees, and the season is already underway, so no time to waste it in pain.
Thanks!! I think that is a good idea. The other option is to hit up Backcountry tonight (the actual store--lucky me) as they are having a sale. Not sure if they carry what I need, but I'll check.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First spin with the family on the Peterson Ridge Trails in Sisters Oregon. It poured rain for several hours but finally cleared enough.

47D990AA-429D-4640-90E1-E3FDD0CBCF09.jpeg

Sisters in Sisters
06F5780B-2DA6-441E-9CC7-8CCB81796C0B.jpeg
E2AFEB1A-A69B-47F5-AD50-DB9E7DF43920.jpeg

Colin rode through every single puddle.
1E5855F3-1C85-4E1A-8F75-64629BA517DD.jpeg
98B41C66-D3B5-4181-B59D-2EC2038625CF.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Rode Heil to Wild Turkey last night. I kept biffing on the climb (including one event involving handlebar-to-tree contact, and another in which the top tube slammed into my crotch), but my descent was magical. Everything clicked, and I was riding down the rocks and roots like a champ. Smooooove.

I stick to my guns that Heil is an intermediate trail. I've ridden all but one or two features. I never clean all the rest in one ride. but I clean a different set every time. Nothing requires excessive commitment or dramatic fore/aft changes - if you have the oomph and choose a precise line.

Wild Turkey ... I'd call advanced intermediate. I love the descent, but you have to be comfortable with sections of pointy looking rocks with small drops (there's a reason I always ride it counter clockwise), and it behooves you to be real comfortable with pedal ratcheting and, ideally, getting your butt back - otherwise it's going to feel like you're riding a bucking bronco. At one point I let my rear tire get a bit wide, and I came within probably an inch of dropping my rear wheel, and then the rest of me, down an embankment.

But ... that's fun, right?

It is to me.

So I went bopping and bumping down the trail, having a grand old time, and hauling ass down the Heil descent. Lovely.

Now - problem time. One of the reasons I biffed so much is that my flat pedals simply don't have the traction they once had. The traction pins are worn down to soft nubs, and I repeatedly spun them when I needed them to stick. I love these pedals. Deity. Not wafer thin like the modern Deity pedals, but also not as wide as them, either. Super light weight. I transferred them over from my old bike. They are no longer made, and I've looked at eBay periodically without success. Looks like they're the Decoy or probably Decoy LT.

Any suggestions?

(Hmm. It looks like the pins may be replaceable. I have contacted Deity to see if they're still available. Still, suggestions welcome.)

20180525_175809.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Any suggestions?

And ... what about Race Face Atlas pedals? I can get them at a discount at REI the next few days. Still expensive, but look similar to my old ones.

I have REI dividends to burn. Of course, they're real money (can be cashed out), but it would feel less painful ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I know the "pins" in my no-name flat pedals (and others) are really just a set-screw, for example https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-M3x3m...8&qid=1527387059&sr=8-4&keywords=m3+set+screw
Might be worth seeing if the ones in yours are just a common size and then take a trip to a hardware store.

It also looks like there are sets available for my pedals. Further research suggests that they are the Decoy LT, and that the LT has slightly different specs than the regular Decoy.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I had my first MTN Bike Ride last week. I did a ride last fall with @Bruuuce but after breaking my wrist last July, I really hadn't been on the Yeti much. It was a short ride of just about 6 miles and 1K of climbing but it was great to be on the bike, I ride the road bike far more so my skills absolutely sucked for first few miles :). I had to remember weight shifting, body positioning and getting positioned correctly before entering the turns on the switchbacks. The trails here are in great shape so I will def' be back on the bike once a week. But, damn, I love this bike

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had my first MTN Bike Ride last week. I did a ride last fall with @Bruuuce but after breaking my wrist last July, I really hadn't been on the Yeti much. It was a short ride of just about 6 miles and 1K of climbing but it was great to be on the bike, I ride the road bike far more so my skills absolutely sucked for first few miles :). I had to remember weight shifting, body positioning and getting positioned correctly before entering the turns on the switchbacks. The trails here are in great shape so I will def' be back on the bike once a week. But, damn, I love this bike

You've been off the Yeti long enough that it's now horridly outdated.

Check out the new SB100!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Monique, I just bought some new OneUp pedals in the small size, and I like them more than my old Deitys. They are narrower at the front which gives me much better grip overall. Comparable price-wise. They are also composite, which I like because they aren't so "offensive" sounding when I have a pedal strike. Backcountry carries them and they are having a sale for Memorial Day--20% off.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique, I just bought some new OneUp pedals in the small size, and I like them more than my old Deitys. They are narrower at the front which gives me much better grip overall. Comparable price-wise. They are also composite, which I like because they aren't so "offensive" sounding when I have a pedal strike. Backcountry carries them and they are having a sale for Memorial Day--20% off.

I don't mind my pedal strike noise - magnesium is pretty soft, anyway. I think I'm going to buy the pedals I saw on REI, then hold onto them until I hear from Deity about traction pins. It would be neat to have the red again (to remind me of my old love, I mean, bike), but the blue would match the new bike better.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am really loving the trails here in Sisters. Lots of flowing sections with just enough challenge sections. Today I did the first couple of miles with the family then they headed back while continued out to re-ride most of yesterday’s route. I rented a Specialized Rhyme Comp with mid-fat tires. It’s been fine but even firming up the shocks it feels spongy and I hate the grips.

My dad is out on course doing the Sisters Stampede long course right now.

1E6F3204-804D-4112-9104-2F1CAC6314EE.jpeg
1CAA4F19-08A3-47E9-AA92-893F17E7E86C.jpeg
336173A7-B960-474A-9532-1FCDD7D05906.jpeg
A2019AA3-AC8E-4A16-8D8E-15A547CC0A22.jpeg
A1E63BEC-63D6-4D9D-9F4D-80BD04FE4278.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Woot woot!

Hello Monique,

Thank you for the email and we’re happy to help!

We do offer replacement red ano pins for the Decoy LT pedals.

I have attached an order for you can use to order or simply give us a call at your convenience.

Each pin kit is $8 and they are per pedal.

Please let us know if you have any other questions along the way and we’ll get you fixed up in no time.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid