• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Still trying to hunt down shorter crank arms, as 175 is just too much. Also, had to swap the seat out for a women's specific model since I bought the men's bike (women's is only available in 27.5 plus this year.)

Any of you have an idea where I can get the shorter crank arms? Word from the shop is they are on backorder. My knees can't take much more. This is what I am looking for: SRAM Descendant 7k Eagle, 32T Direct Mount X-Sync. Google is turning up nothing.

Yesterday I tested my new xt drivetrain with 170 mm cranks. They feel quite a bit different from my old longer cranks. I did notice the extra clearing pedaling through rocky sections where I used to bump my pedals. I have a 34 inch inseam so it's easier to go shorter than longer, but maybe you'll get used to them. For me it's a huge upgrade over my beat lx stuff so you could put any lenght crank on and it would be better than before. No more new gear for me this year, but I could use some new boots to go with my new skis.........

@AmyPJ - I noticed enough of a difference with the 165s that I'd definitely keep looking for them rather than hoping to adapt. For me, it wasn't knee pain - more about power and more clearance for rocks.

As for saddles, psssh. There are two things I always swap on my new bike - saddles and grips. Having found a saddle that works well with my anatomy, I'm sticking with it. A lot of the higher end models come with ass hatchets, whether for men or for women. Not right for my sit bones. And I love my Ergon grips with the little platform to keep me from dropping my wrists when I get tired.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any of you have an idea where I can get the shorter crank arms? Word from the shop is they are on backorder. My knees can't take much more. This is what I am looking for: SRAM Descendant 7k Eagle, 32T Direct Mount X-Sync. Google is turning up nothing.

I'm pretty sure the SRAM GX Eagle is the same...not 100% sure though, so I'd fact check with a call to SRAM's customer service. Just wanted to give you another road to potentially go down if you can't track down the 7k.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ - I noticed enough of a difference with the 165s that I'd definitely keep looking for them rather than hoping to adapt. For me, it wasn't knee pain - more about power and more clearance for rocks.

As for saddles, psssh. There are two things I always swap on my new bike - saddles and grips. Having found a saddle that works well with my anatomy, I'm sticking with it. A lot of the higher end models come with ass hatchets, whether for men or for women. Not right for my sit bones. And I love my Ergon grips with the little platform to keep me from dropping my wrists when I get tired.
Yeah, I switched the crank arms last year from 175 down to 170 and felt a lot more power and interestingly BALANCED while standing over the bike, since my feet were closer together underneath me. So, I can't wait to get them again. And I think I replaced my saddle with an ass hatchet LOL! I like it, but it did take my sit bones awhile to adapt to it, as they did hurt a bit more than usual. I like it a lot now.

I'm pretty sure the SRAM GX Eagle is the same...not 100% sure though, so I'd fact check with a call to SRAM's customer service. Just wanted to give you another road to potentially go down if you can't track down the 7k.
I'll check that. I do have the shop on alert to order them. Incentive is I'll get them at a better price that way, so I might just have to suffer longer.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More time at Marshall Mesa tonight. This time I tackled some sections or lines that I haven't done before. I was also very gratified when a female bike patrol came up on me on a particularly steep climb where I'd stopped to catch my breath and called the hill stupid. She dismounted and walked the rest of it. I rested a bit more then remounted and rode up nearly the rest of it except for one steeper pitch with more rocks that I just didn't have the power to deal with both.

IMG_3680.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg
IMG_3687.jpg
IMG_3688.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I rode Heil today, the original lollipop. I always forget how rocky the climb is. It's a slog. No one rock is that big a deal, but it's a matter of attrition until I finally just run out of oomph.

BUT the descent is super fun. Parts flowy, parts rocky bumpity bump bump ... just so good.

And I rode it in 2 hours today, as opposed to 2.5 hours mid last season. That's a 20% time improvement.

It rained a bit. The rain was really pretty in the sunshine - that weird Colorado thing - but I could never capture it in a photo.

Here's the view from the overlook at about the midpoint of the lollipop:

20180517_183218.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
More time at Marshall Mesa tonight. This time I tackled some sections or lines that I haven't done before. I was also very gratified when a female bike patrol came up on me on a particularly steep climb where I'd stopped to catch my breath and called the hill stupid. She dismounted and walked the rest of it. I rested a bit more then remounted and rode up nearly the rest of it except for one steeper pitch with more rocks that I just didn't have the power to deal with both.

View attachment 46152 View attachment 46153 View attachment 46154 View attachment 46155
That looks fun as hell! I'm getting really good at rocky climbs these days. Such a challenge!

I was passed by an older guy on an ebike today on one of my least, er I mean most, favorite rocky climbs (it's a slog.) Bastard. I couldn't figure out how the heck he was zooming up it so quickly, at his age, his fitness level, wearing hiking shorts no less.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I've been thinking about new grips on my mountain bike. There's nothing wrong necessarily with the ones that came on my bike but I've been wondering what benefit there is in the types that have the flatter surface such as the Ergon GP1 or GS1 or on a smaller scale the GA3?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I've been thinking about new grips on my mountain bike. There's nothing wrong necessarily with the ones that came on my bike but I've been wondering what benefit there is in the types that have the flatter surface such as the Ergon GP1 or GS1 or on a smaller scale the GA3?

I've recently done a comparison test between my Wolf Tooth Fat Paws (silicone grips) and Ergon's new-ish GA2-Fat. The Ergons were OK. Good control, but, frankly, horrid in terms of comfort compared to the Fat Paws. With the FP's, I feel like my suspension is suddenly significantly more plush!

I gave the Ergons about 30 hours of ride time, so this wasn't a quickie, "one and done" kind of thing.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I've used Ergons for years. I wore the rubber down completely on the first pair - the second pair, I transferred to my new bike. I got them because the "paddles" keep me from dropping my wrists. I have bad wrists, and the grips help keep my wrists in good working order.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Got out for my first 'real' ride of the year and on the west coast ever at the Demo Forest in Santa Cruz yesterday. Was entirely unprepared for the steepness and was clipped in for the first time in ages.. but survived and only torched one set of brake pads. Only a bike pic because there were no good stopping points on the actual trail and the overlook was foggy. Hoping to explore NorCal more once Squaw shuts down skiing. Does anyone have any good suggestions for setting up my Pike Fork? I've only done a couple rides on it but can not get it where I want it and have watched every possible youtube video. It just feels "slow" to respond and doesn't use all of the travel but if I let out any air pressure at all or reduce compression it immediately collapses at any bump.
IMG_20180519_100503.jpg

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Got out for my first 'real' ride of the year and on the west coast ever at the Demo Forest in Santa Cruz yesterday. Was entirely unprepared for the steepness and was clipped in for the first time in ages.. but survived and only torched one set of brake pads. Only a bike pic because there were no good stopping points on the actual trail and the overlook was foggy. Hoping to explore NorCal more once Squaw shuts down skiing. Does anyone have any good suggestions for setting up my Pike Fork? I've only done a couple rides on it but can not get it where I want it and have watched every possible youtube video. It just feels "slow" to respond and doesn't use all of the travel but if I let out any air pressure at all or reduce compression it immediately collapses at any bump.
View attachment 46418
Lots of stuff rideable in Tahoe right now. These next few weeks are the best time since the trails are brown pow from the light daily showers. In a few weeks from now it will likely be full on moondust. Downeivelle should be good to go as well as lots of south lake trails. TAMBA fb page is good for info as well as homeboy(Steven?)from over the edge in south lake.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have any good suggestions for setting up my Pike Fork? I've only done a couple rides on it but can not get it where I want it and have watched every possible youtube video. It just feels "slow" to respond and doesn't use all of the travel but if I let out any air pressure at all or reduce compression it immediately collapses at any bump.

I can help out a little on suspension tuning. On your Pike, given what you've said, try removing one or two volume reducing "tokens" from the air chamber side of the fork. It's pretty simple to do.

Let out all air pressure. Remove air cap with appropriate sized socket, or VERY carefully, using an adjustable wrench. The "tokens" are threaded onto the bottom of the air cap. If your fork has three, remove one. If it has four or more, remove two. Reassemble, and pump the fork back up to normal pressure.

This will give you a more linear spring curve, and will let you use more of your travel without reducing air pressure to the point of making your fork feel too soft initially.

As far as the slow response, try reducing your rebound damping two clicks. Most people run it too slow.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Lots of stuff rideable in Tahoe right now. These next few weeks are the best time since the trails are brown pow from the light daily showers. In a few weeks from now it will likely be full on moondust. Downeivelle should be good to go as well as lots of south lake trails. TAMBA fb page is good for info as well as homeboy(Steven?)from over the edge in south lake.

Edit: was bugging me I couldn't remember, It's Sam from over the edge.

Here's a good link for trail conditions and shuttles. I'm SkiNride over there but I don't post much these days
http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/tahoe-trails-shuttles-status-1075020.html

If your at squaw and have your bike Jackass is worth a short loop. You drive right by the trailhead on 89
image.jpeg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
On the fork, what TomK said. But also, too little low speed compression could be hurting you here and equally, you could have too much rebound damping which will let the fork "pack". Packing is where the fork compresses from the 2nd bump before it has had a chance to recover from the 1st. It's like if a bump skier never extended his knees legs into the troughs.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the fork, what TomK said. But also, too little low speed compression could be hurting you here and equally, you could have too much rebound damping which will let the fork "pack". Packing is where the fork compresses from the 2nd bump before it has had a chance to recover from the 1st. It's like if a bump skier never extended his knees legs into the troughs.

Yup. On a Pike, you actually want to dial in a bit of low speed compression damping. On a Fox fork, usually little or none.

And yup again on the packing thing. As I mentioned, most people run their fork's rebound damping too slow, and......packing.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I concur Tahoe is riding real nice right now. ...I've been doing lots of after work spins working off a winter of total sin.

I got me a new trance to replace my 2013 trance ready for pickup in a couple days....very stoked to get on it! My 2013 is still riding great so Im shipping it back to nh so I have something to ride when I visit in spring and fall. Its gonna be an awesome summer!
20180522_180417.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Seen on my ride with @kimmyt today - three wild turkeys and two deer. The turkeys were closer than I've ever seen, and for once not in a huge hurry to get away. The two deer distracted me enough that I almost ran off the edge of the trail and down an embankment - but I managed to recover. Note to self: Look where you want to go, not at the deer at 3 and 9!

20180522_184041.jpg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve really liked riding my flat pedals but my shoes would get hung up on them so I finally picked up a pair of dedicated flat shoes. I had tried the five tens but the sides hit my ankle bones uncomfortably so I was happy to find these. Yes that’s a puncture wound from a pedal pin on the front of my left ankle.

5DF1B45B-6B47-4CC0-B37B-7216A1C585AD.jpeg
5764A216-BECA-411B-A809-1CF83A2B2B64.jpeg