• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Might as well get the wheels rolliing. Blew off a day on the slopes as the forecast was for mid 70's in February. Ended up above 80, so I think I made the right choice. Technically, not my first ride of the year, but it was the first in shorts and SS. And now it's 40 and raining...

gar.jpg
sj.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Nice! I generally keep the mtb in the garage until the ground dries out..up here, that's usually, mid May. I'll do road if the weather is nice. Right now they're all in the garage loft hibernating.. :)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Might as well get the wheels rolliing. Blew off a day on the slopes as the forecast was for mid 70's in February. Ended up above 80, so I think I made the right choice. Technically, not my first ride of the year, but it was the first in shorts and SS. And now it's 40 and raining...

View attachment 40022 View attachment 40023
I am such a heretic, but I MISS mountain biking trails that look like that. I grew up in the midwest mountain biking in the 90s. And it mostly looked like that. MB here in the west has become a thing I don't really recognize, nor enjoy as much. And yes, I live in the heart of where MB was born, so I am pissing in the wind.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I am such a heretic, but I MISS mountain biking trails that look like that. I grew up in the midwest mountain biking in the 90s. And it mostly looked like that. MB here in the west has become a thing I don't really recognize, nor enjoy as much. And yes, I live in the heart of where MB was born, so I am pissing in the wind.

It was Allaire State Park. It's an extremely sandy area, so one of the only places in the state that wasn't a sloppy mudfest yesterday. It dries out super fast.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two weeks ago, I rode three days in a row in Post Canyon (Hood River, OR). It was 60 degrees when I finished one day, and the dirt was perfect.

Left town for a week, and winter returned. Now skiing powder in February, so everything is right with the world again!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Annadel have any smooth trails?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does Annadel have any smooth trails?
They aren't all technical, but its not just that. I was just talking with a friend (who lives around here) from Minnesota last night. In the midwest, in the 90's "mountain biking" was more like bike touring with trees and dirt. It wasn't "ride up the mountain, fly down the mountain". It was rolling and less technical. As he put it, "mountain biking is more like bmx now". But of course, that is our midwestern perspective. That we had bikes called "mountain bikes" to ride in the midwest in the 80s and 90s is because of some crazy guys named Breeze and Fisher, etc climbing Mt Tamalpais and then throwing themselves down the other side on bikes that were never made to survive that kind of abuse.

I don't think one is better, its just a matter of what you like. But its hard to find rolling, beautiful terrain around here. Jeez, I am complaining that California isn't like the midwest . . . . has to be a first for everything!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They aren't all technical, but its not just that. I was just talking with a friend (who lives around here) from Minnesota last night. In the midwest, in the 90's "mountain biking" was more like bike touring with trees and dirt. It wasn't "ride up the mountain, fly down the mountain". It was rolling and less technical. As he put it, "mountain biking is more like bmx now". But of course, that is our midwestern perspective. That we had bikes called "mountain bikes" to ride in the midwest in the 80s and 90s is because of some crazy guys named Breeze and Fisher, etc climbing Mt Tamalpais and then throwing themselves down the other side on bikes that were never made to survive that kind of abuse.

I don't think one is better, its just a matter of what you like. But its hard to find rolling, beautiful terrain around here. Jeez, I am complaining that California isn't like the midwest . . . . has to be a first for everything!
I lived in Chicago suburbs in Jr high and high school, and went to college in Champaign-Urbana. The Midwest does have its own beauty (not sure that's the word for it).

But I think mountain biking has changed in California too. I lived in San Francisco in the late 80s/ early 90s, and bought my first mountain bike then (Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo). It was fully rigid. I used to ride across the GG bridge to the Marin headlands and ride all day there. The trails were not technical. Then I moved to Davis and gave up mountain biking for a long time. I just got my first full suspension bike last summer, but I' m not enjoying it as much as my old bike. I've ridden at Annadel, but I need something even milder than the easy trails there. I want to get back to the trails in the headlands, but traffic....

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I lived in Chicago suburbs in Jr high and high school, and went to college in Champaign-Urbana. The Midwest does have its own beauty (not sure that's the word for it).

But I think mountain biking has changed in California too. I lived in San Francisco in the late 80s/ early 90s, and bought my first mountain bike then (Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo). It was fully rigid. I used to ride across the GG bridge to the Marin headlands and ride all day there. The trails were not technical. Then I moved to Davis and gave up mountain biking for a long time. I just got my first full suspension bike last summer, but I' m not enjoying it as much as my old bike. I've ridden at Annadel, but I need something even milder than the easy trails there. I want to get back to the trails in the headlands, but traffic....
I am planning to take my son to china camp riding when he gets a little stronger. My friend from Minnesota says its the closest thing to the midwest he's ridden around here. May have to consider Marin Headlands too. I hadn't thought of that. When the tourists are away.

When I was at Purdue, I used to ride at Turkey Run State Park, which was also only about an hour from U of I. And Brown County when I was home (south side of Indy).

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Im ready to start this party.

Carson valley should be good to go next week. Acquired girlfriend over winter....we ski together every chance and its been super fun. Went into over the edge today and picked up this for her to get started.

In 3 weeks we are headed to rabbit valley and Moab for a month with a quick trip to nh in the middle. Ready to pay for a winter full of sins....
20180321_105247.jpg

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
With the weather and all the rocks I'm hitting skiing around here, I'm thinking of breaking out the new Mtn bike for trip to Fruita on good Friday and Saturday before coming back to ski Easter morning and and then throw a leg of lamb on the BGE. Haven't quite talked myself into it yet but even thinking about biking during March is basically unheard of.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
been out on a couple road bike rides with my gravel bike but no trails open here for at least another month if not longer.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got out on the trails a couple times last week after work. Pretty dry in the uplands. Took my daugter out on her $40 "new" 24" hotrock I got at the thrift shop.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our first ride since November 18 was Easter Sunday. Hit Blue Mountain reservation in Peekskill NY. Took it easy and only rode some fun flowy trails neat the bottom. No big climbs. Trails were mostly dry with just a few muddy spots.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I had a couple of crashes last season that dampened my spirit and I haven’t been on my mountain bike in quite awhile. I know I need to just get out and ride trails I’m confident on but the roadie is so much easier right from my garage. However, as part of my plan to have all the fun before law school starts I’ve been invited to join my dad, stepmom, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew in Sisters, OR over Memorial Day weekend for camping and mountain biking.

The 6 1/2 year old nephew has cautioned that it's rocky although my dad says it’s like my typical Colorado rides. Oh to ride with my nephew. :yahoo: :yeah: :bestday:

I suppose I need to prioritize the hitch installation on the new CX-5 so I can do a bit of mountain biking before then. At least I’ve been getting out on the road bike 1-2 times a week of late so that will help.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
So, I had a couple of crashes last season that dampened my spirit and I haven’t been on my mountain bike in quite awhile. I know I need to just get out and ride trails I’m confident on but the roadie is so much easier right from my garage. However, as part of my plan to have all the fun before law school starts I’ve been invited to join my dad, stepmom, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew in Sisters, OR over Memorial Day weekend for camping and mountain biking.

The 6 1/2 year old nephew has cautioned that it's rocky although my dad says it’s like my typical Colorado rides. Oh to ride with my nephew. :yahoo: :yeah: :bestday:

I suppose I need to prioritize the hitch installation on the new CX-5 so I can do a bit of mountain biking before then. At least I’ve been getting out on the road bike 1-2 times a week of late so that will help.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/level-15-mtb-skills-at-sunset-east-trails-erie-co-tickets-32825364549