• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Totally. That's awesome. It takes a lot of work and time to get that stuff done. Love to see people just do it because they love it. Awesome.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Super cool!

Also, I rode my bike today. It was weird. I felt so good on the climb. I barely felt winded - in fact, I don't think I ever stopped to catch my breath - though I did stop a few times at intersections to drink water, because I've somehow never managed to learn how to drink from a camelbak while riding. I wouldn't think a loss of 15 pounds - - going from "obese" to "a little less obese" would result in me feeling great on gradual climbs despite literally no exercise for two months. So maybe it's that, maybe it's something else. But it was neat not to feel like I was going to blow a gasket. And my heart rate seems pretty comparable to rides last year.

I felt pretty confident on the descent, although my knee is still not happy when I'm out of the seat with my pedals at 9 and 3 - but I was able to do it when I had to.

I saw lots of deer, but they ran when I tried to get out my phone.

20180430_184554.jpg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Might as well get the wheels rolliing. Blew off a day on the slopes as the forecast was for mid 70's in February. Ended up above 80, so I think I made the right choice. Technically, not my first ride of the year, but it was the first in shorts and SS. And now it's 40 and raining...

View attachment 40022 View attachment 40023

There is something seriously wonky with your comnputer's calculations.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You know those days when you feel like you're flying on the descent? Not, like, "going fast" - but soaring, and feeling invincible?

Today was like that. I always forget that Betasso isn't *just* a relatively mellow ride - it's also super fun, especially the Benjamin loop. So I did the loop twice.

My knee tolerated a proper downhill position much better than it has been for a while, so I was able to tear it up a little (relatively speaking).

My new office also happens to be exceptionally close to it, so I think I'll be seeing a lot more of Betasso this season.

20180508_181029.jpg

20180508_181001.jpg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dirt time tonight. Also, I bought this really cool soft cargo liner that has this flip out flap that protects my bumper while dragging my bike out. Eventually I’ll get a hitch installed so I can use my bike rack but until then this works.

61BEEC09-7403-48A4-80DE-AB80D5F48E7D.jpeg
D7993977-F586-4DFC-928C-5147D397398B.jpeg

35E77D3C-F4EB-4088-87A7-99F277097092.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Eventually I’ll get a hitch installed so I can use my bike rack but until then this works.

I find myself shoving my bike in my car a lot just to keep it a little safer while it's parked at work.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find myself shoving my bike in my car a lot just to keep it a little safer while it's parked at work.

If I worked where you do I’d agree. At my office I can park within our receptionists site of my vehicle, it’s not an area where bike thieves can easily troll and the only way out goes by the jail so there are lots of cops around and I double lock it. However, if I go elsewhere I agree.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If I worked where you do I’d agree. At my office I can park within our receptionists site of my vehicle, it’s not an area where bike thieves can easily troll and the only way out goes by the jail so there are lots of cops around and I double lock it. However, if I go elsewhere I agree.

Yeah. When I was parking just outside a building in an office park, it was different. But that being said, a friend's car was broken into in that same parking area.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Springbrook with @kimmyt and her friend yesterday evening. Lovely.

20180510_185720_003.jpg
20180510_190636_014.jpg
Attach62950_20180510_231454.jpg
20180510_184527_001.jpg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Monique, that looks awesome. I remember some nice mountain biking around Boulder. But that was *ahem* a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Here in PA, most everything is technical....lot of sharp rocks and roots. It “eebs” me out a bit.....I kind of suck on technical trails and crave some smooth single track instead. I definitely have some fear issues.

I think I’m gonna take a lesson up in Lake Placid this June.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique, that looks awesome. I remember some nice mountain biking around Boulder. But that was *ahem* a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Here in PA, most everything is technical....lot of sharp rocks and roots. It “eebs” me out a bit.....I kind of suck on technical trails and crave some smooth single track instead. I definitely have some fear issues.

I think I’m gonna take a lesson up in Lake Placid this June.

Yup - it's a nice, mellow trail with just a few rocks and roots. And FUN on the descent.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting ready to poach the hiker-only trail at Peterson Ridge, in Sisters, Oregon.

"Honest, officer, I most certainly AM a hiker, I just happen to be on my bike at the moment."

J/K. Had a great, mellow, flowy xc ride on the biking trails in this area, then a great late breakfast lunch at Sisters Coffee Co.

IMG_2312.JPG

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29er, with the biggest changes since last year's model being SRAM Eagle GX, SRAM Guide RS brakes, and stiffer/wider wheels and more points of engagement on the rear hub.
Random musings: I am NOT a fan of the Guide RS brakes. The GX Eagle is awesome, except it seems really tricky to get it dialed in. I can feel the difference in the points of engagement.

Still trying to hunt down shorter crank arms, as 175 is just too much. Also, had to swap the seat out for a women's specific model since I bought the men's bike (women's is only available in 27.5 plus this year.)

Any of you have an idea where I can get the shorter crank arms? Word from the shop is they are on backorder. My knees can't take much more. This is what I am looking for: SRAM Descendant 7k Eagle, 32T Direct Mount X-Sync. Google is turning up nothing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29er, with the biggest changes since last year's model being SRAM Eagle GX, SRAM Guide RS brakes, and stiffer/wider wheels and more points of engagement on the rear hub.
Random musings: I am NOT a fan of the Guide RS brakes. The GX Eagle is awesome, except it seems really tricky to get it dialed in. I can feel the difference in the points of engagement.

Still trying to hunt down shorter crank arms, as 175 is just too much. Also, had to swap the seat out for a women's specific model since I bought the men's bike (women's is only available in 27.5 plus this year.)

Any of you have an idea where I can get the shorter crank arms? Word from the shop is they are on backorder. My knees can't take much more. This is what I am looking for: SRAM Descendant 7k Eagle, 32T Direct Mount X-Sync. Google is turning up nothing.

Surprised on the brakes. I've been a die hard Shimano guy forever, and find the Guide Ultimates on my 2017 9.9 to be just fine, though slightly less powerful than XTs. I do prefer their non-metallic pads. The metallics were too noisy/weird feeling at low speeds.

Would this crank work? https://www.backcountry.com/sram-gx...MIssilm-uC2wIVAsRkCh3oegr1EAQYAiABEgLZtPD_BwE

So many cranks, so confusing to figure out what fits what, but the "Gear Advisors" at Backcountry might be able to help regarding your specific bike.

EDIT: I see it's a non-boost chainline crank, which often gives BETTER performance in bigger, more finicky Eagle gears.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Surprised on the brakes. I've been a die hard Shimano guy forever, and find the Guide Ultimates on my 2017 9.9 to be just fine, though slightly less powerful than XTs. I do prefer their non-metallic pads. The metallics were too noisy/weird feeling at low speeds.

Would this crank work? https://www.backcountry.com/sram-gx...MIssilm-uC2wIVAsRkCh3oegr1EAQYAiABEgLZtPD_BwE

So many cranks, so confusing to figure out what fits what, but the "Gear Advisors" at Backcountry might be able to help regarding your specific bike.

EDIT: I see it's a non-boost chainline crank, which often gives BETTER performance in bigger, more finicky Eagle gears.
The Guides are SO noisy, and yes, less powerful. I'll have to ask about that Crank. You are right, so many and it's confusing as to what will work and what won't. Wish I could just get the arms, OR go to a 34 tooth for a bit more granny, although the granny itself feels comparable to what I'm used to, it's the 2 or 3 gears above that that feel a lot different. I'll probably hold off until I get the new arms, though, as I remember that last year making a big difference in climbing and power.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yesterday I tested my new xt drivetrain with 170 mm cranks. They feel quite a bit different from my old longer cranks. I did notice the extra clearing pedaling through rocky sections where I used to bump my pedals. I have a 34 inch inseam so it's easier to go shorter than longer, but maybe you'll get used to them. For me it's a huge upgrade over my beat lx stuff so you could put any lenght crank on and it would be better than before. No more new gear for me this year, but I could use some new boots to go with my new skis.........

Sponsor

Staff online