• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Speaking of cleaning bikes. I recently replaced my old and broken Bike Wash with a Brush Hero.

Brush Hero Starter Set
BH-SECTION-PRODUCTS-BH_700x.jpg

The spinning brush with its low flow of water is perfect for bike cleaning. It gets into the cassette nicely to keep it free of grit and grime. My clipless pedals keep releasing smoothly ride in and ride out with the Brush Hero. The one option I got over the start kit was the hose quick release, but any hose quick release will do as the brush fits standard hose fittings.

I actually got one of those last year. I used it some, but I find the setup isn't that necessary. Did you get a big green bottle of bike cleaner with it? It's worked shockingly well for me - like, I don't need a brush getting into the cassette. I just spray some of the green stuff and then spray that with my hose, and it all disappears.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Do you know what this is, @Monique? Sounds like something I could use.

I forgot to look last night. I got it for free with the Brush Hero that Doug described above. I'll try to check tonight.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the case of Rock N Roll, wiping while wet is desirable.

Perhaps.

I guess my point is better made by saying that your chain lube will last a LOT longer if you apply it the night before you ride.

It always cracks me up to see people lubing immediately before a ride, especially with wax-based lubes (like Rock and Roll).

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Another vote here for Rock & Roll! I've been using the Blue for years. When it's dusty (which is most of the time) I rinse, brush lube & wipe immediately after every single ride. Since I've committed myself to this process my whole drive-train lasts significantly longer.

Yesterday I got to ride another "new to me" series of trails up at Powder Mountain. Up Woodies to Doctors Dozen to Sunrise to a brand new 3 mile loop which takes you out toward the Magic Bus then back through Picnic & Brittons Ribbon. The whole loop was about 14 miles with 1800' of climbing...
View attachment upload_2018-9-6_20-44-7.jpeg

AF2395FC-F271-4EB3-8A75-5798ECE92A5C.jpeg

E1DDE4E9-C703-482D-A293-DE4F12BABEB7.jpeg

67AC8090-2FF5-4055-B1CE-7A5FE1ECD13D.jpeg

2C078CF5-E1DF-4AEB-A91E-D556560EFA4A.jpeg

Attachments

• 7FEAF2D1-9506-4F75-A804-76B9256270F0.jpeg
    7FEAF2D1-9506-4F75-A804-76B9256270F0.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 5285A686-D079-4206-A5C2-115598412A5F.jpeg
    5285A686-D079-4206-A5C2-115598412A5F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • C06C3AE5-BD5F-4424-9FD3-0EDC710DA62C.jpeg
    9.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 592A44FD-147D-4B08-A5D1-7B1520E15D9C.jpeg
    10.4 MB · Views: 5
  • upload_2018-9-6_20-42-53.jpeg
    9.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote here for Rock & Roll! I've been using the Blue for years. When it's dusty (which is most of the time) I rinse, brush lube & wipe immediately after every single ride. Since I've committed myself to this process my whole drive-train lasts significantly longer.

Yesterday I got to ride another "new to me" series of trails up at Powder Mountain. Up Woodies to Doctors Dozen to Sunrise to a brand new 3 mile loop which takes you out toward the Magic Bus then back through Picnic & Brittons Ribbon. The whole loop was about 14 miles with 1800' of climbing...
View attachment 52868

View attachment 52863
So, this is not Sunrise, correct? If not, I know a few folks who might like you to show us where that is this weekend *cough cough*
Can't remember if there is ANOTHER race there this weekend or not. Between all the closings at SB and PM, I can't keep up. :rolleyes:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So, this is not Sunrise, correct? If not, I know a few folks who might like you to show us where that is this weekend *cough cough*
Can't remember if there is ANOTHER race there this weekend or not. Between all the closings at SB and PM, I can't keep up. :rolleyes:
The 3 mile loop connected to sunrise, there was no name for it AFAIK. Like the sign says, it is still a little soft but not a lot different than the other moon dust trails.

This morning I only had time for a quick loop on the brim trail. It was obvious that in areas there was actually a little rain late yesterday. There is also a brand new mile out and back off the brim trail. I did not have time to ride that today But it sounds like the Brim Trail will be slightly re-routed as they begin more housing development.

I plan to be at Basin doing some lift service riding this weekend, as Xterra is next weekend and things will be closed. Quite likely I’d be riding up at powder Mountain next weekend & some during the week. I would really like to do some of the ride from yesterday in reverse to see which I like better.
Let me know in the morning what you guys are doing, plans are made to be changed.
7C36E65D-AB7D-4AEB-A272-EA838389D632.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Do you know what this is, @Monique? Sounds like something I could use.

WickedWash!

http://wickedwash.com/

I am skeptical of their claim that it doesn't wash off grease - but it sure as heck got rid of all the grime! I just sprayed the goop and then sprayed the hose. The hose alone had no impact, but after the goop, everything was gone! My rear suspension looks better than it has since I bought the thing.

I don't even want to guess at the environmental impact, but my bike is clean!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WickedWash!

http://wickedwash.com/

I am skeptical of their claim that it doesn't wash off grease - but it sure as heck got rid of all the grime! I just sprayed the goop and then sprayed the hose. The hose alone had no impact, but after the goop, everything was gone! My rear suspension looks better than it has since I bought the thing.

I don't even want to guess at the environmental impact, but my bike is clean!
Thank you! I'll look into it.I get conflicting reports at bike shops on the benefits of degreasing. I usually just try to wash after every ride (no degreaser), but I don't know....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Thank you! I'll look into it.I get conflicting reports at bike shops on the benefits of degreasing. I usually just try to wash after every ride (no degreaser), but I don't know....
I was a mechanic for 10 years..I never degrease..use dry lube..throw chain away every year or two. Your mileage may vary.. Oily wet stuff attracts dirt.. There are very few things in life that I have less time for than cleaning a chain...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Attention Frontrangers, Hero dirt alert!!! Awesome conditions after the rains. Today was spectacular.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Attention Frontrangers, Hero dirt alert!!! Awesome conditions after the rains. Today was spectacular.

I got some tacky trail riding in today in Summit. Woohoo. Tomorrow I help build the new Sidedoor up/down downhill bypass.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Dont use that finish line lube. Use Rock n Roll or similar. Great for keeping the chain clean. I used to use the finish line for a while and its a pain because the chain requires much more thorough cleanings.

So why would a Teflon based dry lube require more thorough cleanings? This obviously won’t clean the chain, but the point of Teflon is that it doesn’t attract stuff.

Just curious if this is more of a “how you clean” vs. “how you lube” issue.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 3 mile loop connected to sunrise, there was no name for it AFAIK. Like the sign says, it is still a little soft but not a lot different than the other moon dust trails.

This morning I only had time for a quick loop on the brim trail. It was obvious that in areas there was actually a little rain late yesterday. There is also a brand new mile out and back off the brim trail. I did not have time to ride that today But it sounds like the Brim Trail will be slightly re-routed as they begin more housing development.

I plan to be at Basin doing some lift service riding this weekend, as Xterra is next weekend and things will be closed. Quite likely I’d be riding up at powder Mountain next weekend & some during the week. I would really like to do some of the ride from yesterday in reverse to see which I like better.
Let me know in the morning what you guys are doing, plans are made to be changed.
View attachment 52920

An addition to the Sunrise trail? Awesome! We did try to text you. Last Chance is on the menu (yes, rocky, and yet, I still love that ride.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There seems to be a whole lot of confusion on chain cleaning anf chail lubing...who wants to take the task of writing a definitive article on it?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There seems to be a whole lot of confusion on chain cleaning anf chail lubing...who wants to take the task of writing a definitive article on it?

Would likely breed more angst than a political article.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online