• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was the same casual loop as last time but backwards ( I actually can ride a bike backwards )
Riding switch :D

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Returned to Utah a few days ago. Rode up at Powder Mountain yesterday just as a fire began in the valley below just north of my place. By the time I drove down the canyon around 5:30 the road was closed and the few full-time residence were evacuated. The fire is still going but the winds are keeping it away from our neighborhood and it seems to be staying in an uninhabited area.
46623236-4E1F-4941-9543-50CF7116555A.jpeg

9BBFA20C-DBE0-46E0-A049-79F591B2CC9D.jpeg

Today I rode up at Snowbasin where the leaves are already beginning to change.
376A9D02-9064-4492-82AB-DF489B6643D0.jpeg

D3EA6884-F245-476D-B883-BC0745793F4C.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
World's biggest paper airplane?
It used to be in a field down by my house, how the hell they got it up there I do not know? Must’ve been quite a thermal up draft.
It is now on the paper airplane trail.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Peaks trail today.

Attach71371_20180901_201454.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I love new trails! Right now the trail goes up from True Romance to another road that going one way will access the rest of the roads on Baldy. Going the other way it may access the soon to be built hut. Don't quote me on that. There is also a section of trail above the upper road that looks like it will be connected to this new section and take you even higher!

IMG_20180903_113129697_HDR.jpg

New tread of the upper Nightmare on Baldy trail. It starts at the junction of True Romance and the former top of the Nightmare trail.

IMG_20180903_113309820_HDR.jpg

I got this bike a year ago. I am still in love.

IMG_20180903_113343630.jpg

Scruffy dude.

IMG_20180903_115054516_HDR.jpg

I learned to drive a manual in an International Harvester Scout. Not this one, which is about an 1975 model. It looks like it made it to above tree line on Baldy and then was driven down a washed out road and abandoned.

IMG_20180903_120118519_HDR.jpg

Sally Barber Mine.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Soda Park loop with @kimmyt Sunday. Less technical than Peaks, great views, some aggressive but short climbs (steepest 19%). I think this would be great for less experienced mountain bikers, as long as you expect to walk a few short steep sections.

We encountered a group asking about where their trail picked up again. "We heard that whatever happens, we should NOT go up Hippo." I heartily confirmed.

There are a lot of branches - I frequently referred to our GPS location on MTB Project. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4054132/soda-park-loop.

IMG_4542.jpg

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Explored a few trails I've never been on this weekend. Started out Saturday morning riding lift service at Sunday River. No photos :huh:

Sunday rode a couple different small trail sections in the Bethel, ME area...both proving to be really well built trails with lots of flow (generally a tough thing to find in New England). Nothing too technical, just fun, fast and flowy. A bit blurry, but here's a couple photos from the day...

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_8777.JPG

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

Was planning on riding lift service again Monday, but Sunday River was closed (only open Thursdays thru Sundays, and they weren't making exceptions for the holiday). So opted to ride up the mountain; explore some of the few "x-country" trails on the mountain. They are in some dire need of trail maintenance. Exact opposite of the trails ridden the day before...rooty, rocky, and zero flow. Most of what we came across was obviously meant to be ridden downhill....like this one...

The photo doesn't do it justice...I should have taken a photo from the side to show the angle of the bridge. I would guess 60 degrees and over 4 feet tall. To ride it you need to first finagle your way over the snow making pipe, using the narrowly placed rock bridge, down a rock slab then drop yourself over the edge blindly. If you're still on two wheels, you head right into a rock garden, hairpin turn. Let's just say this trail is well above my comfort zone...but fun to hike to see what it's all about.

IMG_8741.jpg

At the top we looped down one of the mellow downhill trails for a good long ride down. Opted to branch onto a more technical trail, and husband landed his front tire in a hole...over the handlebars, tuck and roll...the whole show. He popped up, unscathed, except for a few scratches. His bike took the brunt of the fall...twisted handlebars and a bent derailleur. Fixed up the handlebars, took the derailleur off, and finished up the descent on the double track, where pedaling isn't needed.

All in all, good weekend. It feels good to be back out riding. The summer has gotten away from me, and the past couple months have seriously lacked time on two wheels.

IMG_8751.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a few things off with my bike right now. A squeak (yes, always), noisy shifting with some skips, and most disconcertingly, a slight feeling of "something's not quite right here" when on bumpy descents. I washed the crap out of it yesterday, but it didn't magically fix the shifting (as a bath often does) - I spent quite some time sitting under the bike, looking up and trying to identify the shifting issue, but I wasn't confident I was seeing the actual source problem vs. a symptom.

So rather than making it worse, I'm having a bike-y friend come over tomorrow to fix my bike - er, I mean, to have lunch!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All these mtb photos are great and driving "Broken Toe Tom" more than a bit crazy. Nuff said there.

Luckily, I've been able to ride road and gravel with my girder-like race shoes, but still, hungry for dirt.

Two more weeks!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All these mtb photos are great and driving "Broken Toe Tom" more than a bit crazy. Nuff said there.

Luckily, I've been able to ride road and gravel with my girder-like race shoes, but still, hungry for dirt.

Two more weeks!
It's good the race shoes fit!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I had a friend come over to look at the terrible shifting and the squeak. He twisted the barrel adjuster just a smidge and did the same with the alignment of the brake pads. My bike is now quiet and properly shifting. I feel like an idiot, but whatever. He got a burger out of it!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And one of Phil
IMG_0823.jpg

When we were approaching the fiberboard road, I heard something off to the right and looked. It was a bear cub.
I did not stop.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They were fun...more fun on a modern full suspension than a 90's hardtail, that is for sure.
They were really fun on the demo Stumpjumper I rode. My daughter enjoyed them on her first ever full-suspension ride. I need to get back up there!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January