Colorado Moderate Tree Skiing - Does anywhere compare to Steamboat?

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by TonyPlush, Dec 31, 2018.

1. JoeSchmoe

JoeSchmoe Booting up Skier

So even with the difference in snowfall and southern exposure, the snow usually stays powdery (not packed into moguls and/or crusty) for many days after the last snow at Steamboat? If it were just me, I'll pick SLC everytime but one of these years I'm going to take the whole family on a Western trip. My NSW would enjoy the town of Steamboat, and I like the lower altitude. If the trees are "usually" Brighton-like condition wise, it might be worth another shot.

2. Jerez

Jerez Out on the slopes Skier

IME, beware of late season at Steamboat. We were there in March many years in a row for 2 grandkids racing in the Junior Olympics... and It was often very soft and then mashed potato and then crust sooner than other CO mountains because of the lower altitude. So If you choose to go, pick early.

3. Josh Matta

Josh Matta Making fresh tracks Instructor

spring snow is fun and easy to ski, its the day after that isnt fun.

RJS likes this.
  4. RJS

RJS Getting off the lift Skier

Your experience lines up with what Tony Crocker writes on about Steamboat on his website: "Best in state in December/January for highest snowfall, but lowest elevation and worst exposure of Colorado destination resorts."

5. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

Can't argue with that but people die skiing all the time.

6. carvemeister

carvemeister Booting up Skier

Another vote for Red. Been there twice, most recently last season. Best tree skiing in North America, and IMO, one of the best mountains on the continent. It's my personal favorite (along with JH, Big Sky, and Revy).

7. tromano

tromano Goin' the way they're pointed... Skier

Replying to @James as well.

If you are skiing moderate trees like 30* usually avy are not a huge issue there. Unless there is exposure from above or red danger instability I would feel safe in that sort of terrain