• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
must be. see prior pics.

So even with the difference in snowfall and southern exposure, the snow usually stays powdery (not packed into moguls and/or crusty) for many days after the last snow at Steamboat? If it were just me, I'll pick SLC everytime but one of these years I'm going to take the whole family on a Western trip. My NSW would enjoy the town of Steamboat, and I like the lower altitude. If the trees are "usually" Brighton-like condition wise, it might be worth another shot.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IME, beware of late season at Steamboat. We were there in March many years in a row for 2 grandkids racing in the Junior Olympics... and It was often very soft and then mashed potato and then crust sooner than other CO mountains because of the lower altitude. So If you choose to go, pick early.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
spring snow is fun and easy to ski, its the day after that isnt fun.

Reactions: RJS

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
IME, beware of late season at Steamboat. We were there in March many years in a row for 2 grandkids racing in the Junior Olympics... and It was often very soft and then mashed potato and then crust sooner than other CO mountains because of the lower altitude. So If you choose to go, pick early.

Your experience lines up with what Tony Crocker writes on about Steamboat on his website: "Best in state in December/January for highest snowfall, but lowest elevation and worst exposure of Colorado destination resorts."

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't argue with that but people die skiing all the time.

Replying to @James as well.

If you are skiing moderate trees like 30* usually avy are not a huge issue there. Unless there is exposure from above or red danger instability I would feel safe in that sort of terrain

Sponsor

Staff online