• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Paradise Chair at Red Mountain has a lot of easier tree skiing. Grey Mountain (most of it) is a small step up from the Paradise area. The rest of Red Mountain has more challenging trees. Red has to be one of the best tree skiing areas on the continent. I think the trees at Red are better than Revelstoke, and much better than what you will find in the Canadian Rockies (Fernie excluded). If you like skiing trees, a trip to Red, and maybe Whitewater should be on your radar.

James

Out There
Instructor
Targhee problems! And, I swear, there's really nice mellow tree skiing, right to the left of where those bored powder-crazy kids are
Where is that at Targhee? Aren't there mellow trees below the main lift/terrain park? Though I guess it's for kids?

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been to most of the places mentioned and will add these three as having fun gladed areas:

Keystone (Outback area - Wildfire, Wolverine with moderate pitch, Badger and Grizz, not so moderate)
Telluride (Apex Glade and Log Pile are outstanding)
Taos (Lorelei runs can be pretty challenging, but are absolutely gorgeous)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski Santa Fe has a wide variety if excellent tree skiing. Everything from a bit more and more consistent pitch than Morningstar to Christmas Tree Bowl sort of trees and steeper.

Wolf Creek has LOTS of mellow tree skiing all over the place. Better IMO than Mornigstar area. More pitch but not too much unless you want it and seek it out. It has been described as a benchy mountain which makes it nice because very short steeper pitches are sandwiched between easy mellow ones so it's a great place to up the game a little.

Parsenn Bowl trees at Mary Jane, as was mentioned. Although they are mellow pitch there are some tight areas in there so you have to pay attention.

Blue Sky Basin at Vail but I wouldn't make a special trip to Vail for it.

Mac

Booting up
Skier
View attachment 61922 Flagstaff, South Side trees.

I haven’t been there but Red Mt. BC I’ve heard has perfect tree skiing.

Whitefish has some awesome tree lines.

North Star was mentioned but I think areas all around Tahoe have awesome trees. I’ve heard Sierra At Tahoe in particular has some tasty lines.
Ski Santa Fe has a wide variety if excellent tree skiing. Everything from a bit more and more consistent pitch than Morningstar to Christmas Tree Bowl sort of trees and steeper.

Wolf Creek has LOTS of mellow tree skiing all over the place. Better IMO than Mornigstar area. More pitch but not too much unless you want it and seek it out. It has been described as a benchy mountain which makes it nice because very short steeper pitches are sandwiched between easy mellow ones so it's a great place to up the game a little.

Parsenn Bowl trees at Mary Jane, as was mentioned. Although they are mellow pitch there are some tight areas in there so you have to pay attention.

You

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
In the East it's hard to beat Mont Sutton in Quebec.. they've got gladed green runs (like actual glades in low pitch) to truely knarly tight trees.. They pride themselves on their glades.. it's been 20 years since i've been there.. i'll get back someday.. but was a total blast

tachedub

Booting up
Skier
Best place you never skied..... Big White BC ?????? Where are the glades mentioned at Snowmass, heading there this season ??????

jclee

Booting up
Skier
Mt Rose in Lake Tahoe has a green tree run called Around the World, near the top of the front side. Huge fun for kids and adults of all abilities.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Where is that at Targhee? Aren't there mellow trees below the main lift/terrain park? Though I guess it's for kids?
Aspens abound in the greens around and below the Shoshone lift. tighter pines in East woods and between/below the Good, Bad and Ugly and open pines in Lost Warrior and Powder Cache, with some nice aspens above the cat back to Blackfoot. Some nice trees on the Sacajawea side also, but if you get too low its kinda of a long hike out back to the chair. Shot of GB&U trees from the headwall traverse. I think for sheer amount of almost perfectly spaced Aspens and easy skiing powder, Steamboat is really hard to beat.
101_0540.JPG

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Now that's some trees I've never come across, Matt. Looks like fun.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
There are some very mellow treed runs at Brighton, just out of bounds. It starts out as a fairly steep open mogul run then branches into several gentle ski through the woods runs leading to a trail back to the resort. The area is accessed from the Great Western chair.

some great stuff in there but i wouldn't recommend it unless you are familiar with the area - we ended up getting carried away back there and skiing way far skiers right, hitched a ride w/ some snow mobilers, and ended up skiing to Deer Valley! had to call a buddy to come pick us up

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
some great stuff in there but i wouldn't recommend it unless you are familiar with the area - we ended up getting carried away back there and skiing way far skiers right, hitched a ride w/ some snow mobilers, and ended up skiing to Deer Valley! had to call a buddy to come pick us up

Wow... that's really getting lost! Nice job. :golfclap: The resorts are like 3 miles apart... although DV is almost all downhill from Brighton.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blind Ambition at Sunday River is a pretty mellow glade.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
You've skied Northstar and Steamboat, both.
Do they compare?
I have skied Northstar a ton but never Steamboat, but the images of their tree lines look very different.
Would be interested in hearing @Philpug's answer to this, unless I missed.

I skied Northstar, but not long enough to find the trees.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some great stuff in the thread.

So, the short answer would be no?
Looks that way. I just tallied up all the responses so far, and after three pages, we've got Steamboat at a clear #1.

Powder Mountain at a distant #2 based on the number of recommendations, followed closely by Brighton/Targhee/Revelstoke.

Only @Jerez was willing to go on the record in saying he prefers something over Steamboat, with his comments about Wolf Creek.

Great thread so far guys!