• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
After traveling to almost all the major Colorado resorts, the Park City destinations, Whistler, etc. I find myself dreaming of Steamboat the most. And specifically, Steamboat's trees.

Tree runs like Shadows, Morningside/Alarm Clock, the trees around Crowtrack, and even the easy Sunshine Lift area are the perfect trees for my ability levels. Most these runs are rated black because of the tree element, but their steepness leans towards blue, which makes the trees more manageable. They're spaced out enough to allow for multiple lines. They've got a few bumps for fun, but still aren't a total mogul run.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that compares at other mountains. I've found tree runs, sure, but most are either so dense that one wrong turn will literally send you into the trees, so wide open that it doesn't feel like tree skiing, or too steep for my abilities.

For reference, here's the type of trees at Steamboat that I salivate over:

shadows.GIF
sunshine 2.GIF
alarm clock 4.GIF
crowtrack.GIF

Anyone else enjoy similar terrain? And is there anywhere besides Steamboat that fans of this style of skiing should put on their bucket list?

I've got upcoming trips scheduled to Salt Lake City, Big Sky, and Jackson Hole, and I would love to find this sort of terrain there if it exists.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
A day over at Targhee is worth it for moderate tree skiing during your Jackson trip.

If you've got a day in SLC, Powder Mountain has an insane amount of moderate tree skiing with great snow if you don't mind a wonky lift system. (But hey, that's one of the reasons it stays fresh so long.)

And a trip to Whitefish should be in your future from what I understand.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
While among the trees, I call that (very) open glade skiing. ;)

I consider tree skiing to be where you can't see more than a few turns ahead for the trees. It prohibits the majority of skiers from accessing it and insures fresh for days. I think these compare, perhaps unfavorably, with the images presented above. I like them though and you'll have to ski with me to find them because I don't know exactly where any of these spots are. :(

The shots below are most definitely not moderate tree skiing.

20180504_112604.jpg

20180107_102406_South Ridge Street.jpg

IMG_20181225_132344666_HDR.jpg

20170427_102814.jpg

(did I stir the pot up enough for y'all? :duck: ;)

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
not that it's any help
in our region BC Alberta PNW the majority of trees are not the same as your first photo,
although it does looks remarkably similar to an area at Revelstoke on the lower hill and there are the occasional stands at a few other areas.
Whistler and Sunshine also left some burnt sections of coniferous trees standing which creates a similar look .
The next three photos could have been taken on any hill in this region although in last photo the mountains in the background are often closer and look bigger.
nice pictures

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beaver MTN and pow mow are the money tree skiing areas in UT. I think Beaver is better but I also know it better. Never skied steam boat tho.

I actually think the Park City areas are under rated for trees. Being at lower elevation makes them more productive than the cottonwoods with a longer growing season. $.02

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having skied a buncha places in the Rocky Mtn west in the last couple of years, I would definitely say Steamboat is probably tops for those kinds of glades. I'd second Powder Mt. and Targhee as having pretty good chunks of those. Brighton also comes to mind, as do sections of Snowmass.

But the 'Boat is famous for tree skiing for a reason....

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Vail blue sky area has some easy pitch glades, like champagne. Also a few runs off China/mongolia bowl under orient Express lift. Vail in general lacks steeps, so just go to blacks with trees on the trail map to find those kinds of runs.

There are also dense tree " runs " in game creek bowl if you like getting your helmet whacked by branches.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Brighton in Utah, while way smaller than Steamboat has some very accessible trees in the Snake Creek area. Wide open with a variety of pitch options.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Jackson Hole's Moran Woods is my favorite tree skiing there, along with a secret stash near the Hobacks. It's not moderate, however. Grizzly Glade and Washakie Glade don't deserve double diamond status, but they are definitely blacks.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Vail blue sky area has some easy pitch glades, like champagne. Also a few runs off China/mongolia bowl under orient Express lift. Vail in general lacks steeps, so just go to blacks with trees on the trail map to find those kinds of runs.

There are also dense tree " runs " in game creek bowl if you like getting your helmet whacked by branches.

Then there is Hair Bag Alley! ;-)

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
The tree runs off the Snake Creek Express, Brighton UT........and the trees at AZ Snowbowl, when it snows, are surprising good.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Home mountain 49* North has a couple of thousand acres of this stuff, about 300" / year, and no real gnar factor. Oh, there are very few people there and it's cheap too.

You will not like it, don't ever go there. 20180209_120756.jpg 20180209_112437.jpg

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
A703D990-0749-4B36-9760-56F34E713CCF.jpeg Flagstaff, South Side trees.

I haven’t been there but Red Mt. BC I’ve heard has perfect tree skiing.

Whitefish has some awesome tree lines.

North Star was mentioned but I think areas all around Tahoe have awesome trees. I’ve heard Sierra At Tahoe in particular has some tasty lines.

Sponsor

Staff online