Colorado Moderate Tree Skiing - Does anywhere compare to Steamboat?

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by TonyPlush, Dec 31, 2018.

1. TonyPlush

TonyPlush Getting on the lift Skier

After traveling to almost all the major Colorado resorts, the Park City destinations, Whistler, etc. I find myself dreaming of Steamboat the most. And specifically, Steamboat's trees.

Tree runs like Shadows, Morningside/Alarm Clock, the trees around Crowtrack, and even the easy Sunshine Lift area are the perfect trees for my ability levels. Most these runs are rated black because of the tree element, but their steepness leans towards blue, which makes the trees more manageable. They're spaced out enough to allow for multiple lines. They've got a few bumps for fun, but still aren't a total mogul run.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that compares at other mountains. I've found tree runs, sure, but most are either so dense that one wrong turn will literally send you into the trees, so wide open that it doesn't feel like tree skiing, or too steep for my abilities.

For reference, here's the type of trees at Steamboat that I salivate over:

shadows.GIF
    sunshine 2.GIF
    alarm clock 4.GIF
    crowtrack.GIF

Anyone else enjoy similar terrain? And is there anywhere besides Steamboat that fans of this style of skiing should put on their bucket list?

I've got upcoming trips scheduled to Salt Lake City, Big Sky, and Jackson Hole, and I would love to find this sort of terrain there if it exists.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    textrovert, Snowfan and Ron like this.
  2. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Northstar has some great trees.

3. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

A day over at Targhee is worth it for moderate tree skiing during your Jackson trip.

If you've got a day in SLC, Powder Mountain has an insane amount of moderate tree skiing with great snow if you don't mind a wonky lift system. (But hey, that's one of the reasons it stays fresh so long.)

And a trip to Whitefish should be in your future from what I understand.

ella_g and Shawn C. like this.
  4. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

While among the trees, I call that (very) open glade skiing. ;)

I consider tree skiing to be where you can't see more than a few turns ahead for the trees. It prohibits the majority of skiers from accessing it and insures fresh for days. I think these compare, perhaps unfavorably, with the images presented above. I like them though and you'll have to ski with me to find them because I don't know exactly where any of these spots are. :(

The shots below are most definitely not moderate tree skiing.

20180504_112604.jpg

20180107_102406_South Ridge Street.jpg

IMG_20181225_132344666_HDR.jpg

20170427_102814.jpg

(did I stir the pot up enough for y'all? :duck: ;)

Freaq, Big J, geepers and 5 others like this.
  5. noncrazycanuck

noncrazycanuck Getting off the lift Skier

not that it's any help
    in our region BC Alberta PNW the majority of trees are not the same as your first photo,
    although it does looks remarkably similar to an area at Revelstoke on the lower hill and there are the occasional stands at a few other areas.
    Whistler and Sunshine also left some burnt sections of coniferous trees standing which creates a similar look .
    The next three photos could have been taken on any hill in this region although in last photo the mountains in the background are often closer and look bigger.
    nice pictures

6. tromano

tromano Goin' the way they're pointed... Skier

Beaver MTN and pow mow are the money tree skiing areas in UT. I think Beaver is better but I also know it better. Never skied steam boat tho.

I actually think the Park City areas are under rated for trees. Being at lower elevation makes them more productive than the cottonwoods with a longer growing season. $.02

Shawn C. likes this.
  7. tch

tch What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet. Skier

Having skied a buncha places in the Rocky Mtn west in the last couple of years, I would definitely say Steamboat is probably tops for those kinds of glades. I'd second Powder Mt. and Targhee as having pretty good chunks of those. Brighton also comes to mind, as do sections of Snowmass.

But the 'Boat is famous for tree skiing for a reason....

kitchener likes this.
  8. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

Sunlight has some really fun trees and I’m not a tree skiing lover so that’s saying something. Steamboat trees are definitely my favorite though.

BE8A473C-9439-4B69-8387-7DC1756B9CCE.jpeg

kitchener, pete, Ken_R and 6 others like this.
  9. Seldomski

Seldomski Paralysis by analysis Skier

Vail blue sky area has some easy pitch glades, like champagne. Also a few runs off China/mongolia bowl under orient Express lift. Vail in general lacks steeps, so just go to blacks with trees on the trail map to find those kinds of runs.

There are also dense tree " runs " in game creek bowl if you like getting your helmet whacked by branches.

textrovert and Coach13 like this.
  10. Crank

Crank Out on the slopes Skier

Powder Mountain, UT.

Coach13 likes this.
  11. Jully

Jully Putting on skis Skier

Brighton in Utah, while way smaller than Steamboat has some very accessible trees in the Snake Creek area. Wide open with a variety of pitch options.

blackke17 likes this.
  12. SpikeDog

SpikeDog You want Big Air, kid? Skier

Jackson Hole's Moran Woods is my favorite tree skiing there, along with a secret stash near the Hobacks. It's not moderate, however. Grizzly Glade and Washakie Glade don't deserve double diamond status, but they are definitely blacks.

ella_g likes this.
  13. CalG

CalG Out on the slopes Skier

Then there is Hair Bag Alley! ;-)

14. tromano

Here is some beaver mt. UT tree stoke.
    IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0383.JPG DSCF2006.JPG DSCF2009.JPG

kitchener, pete, Freaq and 10 others like this.
  15. Fishbowl

Fishbowl A Parallel Universe Skier

The tree runs off the Snake Creek Express, Brighton UT........and the trees at AZ Snowbowl, when it snows, are surprising good.

blackke17 likes this.
  16. Shawn C.

Shawn C. Getting on the lift Skier

BF82592A-083D-4E6F-A30E-5BA5B931786F.jpeg 91F72716-AD86-466B-AAD4-207530DCC242.jpeg A few of those Beaver Mt pics could have been taken at Powder Mtn. ^ A couple from Powder over the past week. I think you would like it.

pete, NESkier_26, Mendieta and 2 others like this.
  17. Pumba

Pumba Out on the slopes Skier

Revelstoke!!!
    First time I ever felt comfortable in trees. It seems they have trees on the green, blue, and black scales. It’s more like a tree resort with some runs in between. Awesome town as well!

18. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home with 'Children of the Sun' in the PNW
    Home mountain 49* North has a couple of thousand acres of this stuff, about 300" / year, and no real gnar factor. Oh, there are very few people there and it's cheap too.

You will not like it, don't ever go there. 20180209_120756.jpg 20180209_112437.jpg

pete, Shawn C., ella_g and 2 others like this.
  19. tromano

I need to get a pass there some year and send some quality time at pow mow.

Shawn C. likes this.
  20. raisingarizona

raisingarizona Getting off the lift Skier

A703D990-0749-4B36-9760-56F34E713CCF.jpeg Flagstaff, South Side trees.

I haven’t been there but Red Mt. BC I’ve heard has perfect tree skiing.

Whitefish has some awesome tree lines.

North Star was mentioned but I think areas all around Tahoe have awesome trees. I’ve heard Sierra At Tahoe in particular has some tasty lines.

Mendieta, Shawn C., ella_g and 2 others like this.