• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bretton Woods' glades are good and mellow, but I doubt comparable to Steamboat.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, maybe if you want to skin up.

Honestly, though, the Saddleback trees are more on the intermediate-advanced plane anyway.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Jay?

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saddleback?, @Tony S , Bretton Woods, @LiquidFeet ?
Killington has some mellow trees it's been mentioned but not sure which area. Don't know Kton well, but off the Ramshead lift there's Squeezeplay and unmarked woods off Timberline which now has bike path banked turns in it. - Good and bad for skiing.

https://cms.killington.com/sites/killington/files/2018-10/W1819-Killington-Trail-Map.pdf

Many good glades in the Snowdon area - most of which are now on the map but many are only known to those in the know. Having said that, you can't go wrong with Low Rider, Patsies, Scarecrow, and Tin Woodsman.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saddleback?, @Tony S , Bretton Woods, @LiquidFeet ?
Killington has some mellow trees it's been mentioned but not sure which area. Don't know Kton well, but off the Ramshead lift there's Squeezeplay and unmarked woods off Timberline which now has bike path banked turns in it. - Good and bad for skiing.

https://cms.killington.com/sites/killington/files/2018-10/W1819-Killington-Trail-Map.pdf

Many good glades in the Snowdon area - most of which are now on the map but many are only known to those in the know. Having said that, you can't go wrong with Low Rider, Patsies, Scarecrow, and Tin Woodsman.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of my favorite trees are Nevada side of Heavenly. Pick almost any tree pod that is between a trail and you can't go wrong. Olympic chair has some mellow trees, while Aries Woods (off of Comet chair) is quite nice. My favorite is the rope line along Killebrew Canyon. The picture below is Dipper Woods, off the Big Dipper Chair heading towards Mott Canyon. IMG_2547.JPG

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For sure Red Mt.
Schweitzer has some great glades runs: Gladiator, Kathy’s Yard Sale, Australia, JR Trees.
Brundage has nice glades basically in between every run.

There are some nice glades at Stevens that I’m not going to tell you about.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of my favorite trees are Nevada side of Heavenly. Pick almost any tree pod that is between a trail and you can't go wrong. Olympic chair has some mellow trees, while Aries Woods (off of Comet chair) is quite nice. My favorite is the rope line along Killebrew Canyon. The picture below is Dipper Woods, off the Big Dipper Chair heading towards Mott Canyon. View attachment 62441
Rest in peace Sonny Bono.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I have 2 days at Steamboat and 6 or 7 at Brighton.

The conditions in my best day at Steamboat could not match my worst day at Brighton. Maybe it's just a bad luck thing.

There are definitely far more acres of trees at Steamboat, but I've never been anywhere where the snow quality is as consistently good as Brighton.

Other areas I've been to that were previously mentioned (Steamboat, vail/blue sky basin, WP, Aspen, Keystone etc) the snow eventually gets bumped out and hard too fast.

The snow at Brighton is always soft and fluffy for many days after the last snowfall. It's partly due to traffic, and partly due to the fact that the evergreen canopy does not let the sun touch the snow.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Some of my favorite trees are Nevada side of Heavenly. Pick almost any tree pod that is between a trail and you can't go wrong.
I've never been to Steamboat, but could get there this year after Gathering. I've found a lot of trees in CO to be too tight to ski between so you end up skiing narrow, often moguled openings between trees, not the trees.

I wondered if anyone was going to mention Heavenly where I have been skiing trees for over 50 years. One of my go-to spots for lower angle powder even a couple of days after a storm is to step-up a little towards knoll to skiers right of Nova run. Also trees around runs by Galaxy, which hopefully will run again this year after being 'upgraded' to a recycled slow triple, can be fun and most are not that steep.

In a good year, you also have very skiable trees on CA side of Heavenly between Ridge Run all the way to and even past the California Trail (return from NV and past it is Maggie's Canyon that I skied on Monday). About 1/2 of it is on map as Ski Way Glades and beyond intermediate, but it is not as steep once you get past Liz's run. You can continue is trees all the way to base of Powder Bowl chair so elevation ranges from 10K to 8K. And if snowpack is good and there is some recent snow and you have somebody to show you the way, Firebreak (side country) has 3K vertical, with the top 2/3 some of the best powder trees you'll ever ski without a snowcat.

The trees might be mellow but that's definitely not an intermediate run.
Are we sure intermediates belong in the trees without guidance?

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be at Steamboat on 1/24 and 1/25. If anyone wants to explore and/or show me around, let me know. I'm heading to Aspen after that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: Ron

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Loveland Pass off the road, and free! Doesn't get better than that.

Sponsor

Staff online