• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Canada's "Crazy Canucks" men's DH racers from the late 70s to mid 80s begs to differ. Of course they did it by having Podborski, Read, Irwin, Murray, capable of a podium finish in every race so if one faltered another would flourish and by so doing they operated like a team sport....

Ahh, imagine a peloton. What they could have accomplished. Or, short track style.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Think about an F1 team.
Lewis Hamilton is the only one in the car for 60 or 70 laps, but he is by no means alone.
Without his team, he is nowhere.

I wasn't referring to the "support" team, but rather the fact that the final results are not a combination of efforts from the racers. There may be the exception where your teammates' support is helpful, but at the end of the day it's what the individual skier puts down on the snow.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
With all due respect to the Canucks, I'll just leave these right here.

world cup - heavenly valley 77 race 2.jpg world cup - heavenly valley 77 race 1.jpg Sugarloaf Schuss Spring Series 77.jpg

I had a moment or two in my day. Some days you just have to blow your own horn. My first name is Richard.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I wasn't referring to the "support" team, but rather the fact that the final results are not a combination of efforts from the racers. There may be the exception where your teammates' support is helpful, but at the end of the day it's what the individual skier puts down on the snow.

When you are travelling around and competing in foreign lands, your teammate's support and camaraderie is a lot.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When you consider Mikaela Shiffrin and Simone Biles (gymnastics), I see two GOATs that really seems to have their stuff together with a good head on their shoulders!

I was thinking of “hardy domesticated ruminant animal with backward curving horns, and in males, a beard.”

Had to do a search to come up with “Greatest Of All Time.”

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On race day, when you are in the course, it is just you. But all the time that surrounds the 2 - 3 minutes of race time on any given day you are living, traveling, eating and training with your teammates. There is a lot of support and respect that comes from your teammates, like family. Athletes in individual sports gain a lot from their teammates in confidence and reassurance that while they may not be on the podium they are doing a great job.
Much has been said of the team spirit shared by the Norwegian skiers — look at this NY Times article for instance. It must count for something.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online