• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did she sign the Pugski shirt?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you ask her if she got her lifetime cookie pass?
She may not be a Squaw local, but she's and IKON local now and she has won olympic gold, which should qualify her for a lifetime cookie pass.

We didn't get that personal.
She did good on that cookie run though. Three huge boxes in less than 2 minutes.

Did she sign the Pugski shirt?

We were considerate. We tried real hard not to disturb her too much.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We didn't get that personal.
She did good on that cookie run though. Three huge boxes in less than 2 minutes.

We were considerate. We tried real hard not to disturb her too much.
Can you get a picture of the Wildflour sign about the Olympic Medalist Cookie Pass?
I thought I had a photo of it but can't find it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you get a picture of the Wildflour sign about the Olympic Medalist Cookie Pass?
I thought I had a photo of it but can't find it.

Will get right on it, Boss.

James

Out There
Instructor
She likes Donuts, according to the Judy (not her name) Foudy Interview.

2017 Killington Slalom
Was fun to be there.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Even though I heard she may had already left for Mammoth, I saw Mikaela twice today. Both times it was at the bottom of Shirley so I didn't see her skiing. I did go out past the race course once to see what was going on and paid for it as there was only a one groomer wide track out there that skied well, but it led to the bottom of Solitude. I did not go all the way, but was far enough down that I had to traverse an icy steep slope and step up a bit to get back to Shirley.

I did score a 1-on-1 Shirley Lake lift ride with her Mom. She said CA was skiing so well this Spring that there is no reason for anyone to go to CO (although new snow predictions for A-Basin and Breck sound promising). She also said Mikaela will be doing speed training at Mammoth starting on Wed. which sounds like something worth seeing and that she hoped it did not snow very much In Mammoth (which she was surprised to hear was predicted) as it would interfere with the speed training.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went down to Shirley around 9am in hopes of seeing her training. Unfortunately I didn’t see her doing any runs, but i caught brief glimpses of other team members. The precision of these athletes is unreal! I only saw Mikaela skiing off the lift a couple times. I knew it was her bc of her helmet with the American flag graphic. To be honest, at that hour the snow on Shirley was scratchy and the groomers left weird ruts. Not many “regular” skiers were there. I felt a bit like a creepy stalker just standing by the ropes just waiting for her to pass, so I gave up after a few runs.

I wish I could watch the speed training in mammoth. Others will have to report back on that. @MattSmith, maybe you can get a picture!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I went down to Shirley around 9am in hopes of seeing her training. Unfortunately I didn’t see her doing any runs, but i caught brief glimpses of other team members. The precision of these athletes is unreal! I only saw Mikaela skiing off the lift a couple times. I knew it was her bc of her helmet with the American flag graphic. To be honest, at that hour the snow on Shirley was scratchy and the groomers left weird ruts. Not many “regular” skiers were there. I felt a bit like a creepy stalker just standing by the ropes just waiting for her to pass, so I gave up after a few runs.

I wish I could watch the speed training in mammoth. Others will have to report back on that. @MattSmith, maybe you can get a picture!
Sorry I missed you today. Had a Doc appt. and by the time I got done it would have been too late.

James

Out There
Instructor
This one on Kransja Gora slalom 2018 has some wonderful shots of Mikaela practicing gates at a young age.

"I don't feel particularly confident a lot of the time. You know, I just want to ski the mountain the way that it's meant to be skied.

It's not always that I just feel confident about where I'm at. It's just that I try to do the best that I can every race.

Not having these big expectations, but just putting down my best skiing over and over and over again. And either it's going to be enough or it's not"

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
9News in Denver had some good footage of Mikaela's ride with the Thunderbirds today. I'm sure she will be posting about it on her social media places.
I saw clips of some of the pre flight stuff, wondering if her stomach handled it.

Edit: sounds like she lost it a little at the end.
347E3E32-2129-4963-92DC-9E15943FE8EF.jpeg
4FE36D08-B0BC-46E9-9086-847892323414.jpeg

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Makes sense to me. Our culture's attitude toward caffeine fascinates me. If someone talked about needing pot, alcohol, or almost anything else the way most people talk about needing caffeine, we'd say they have a problem.

Sleep is pretty well understood to be critical, and it's pretty well known that most people don't get enough. Also that individual requirements vary.

Alcohol and caffeine both interfere with good sleep. (For those who say that alcohol helps get them to sleep - yes, but it disrupts the quality of sleep.)

Anyway, I think she's doing great. I bet winning tastes far sweeter than a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. And I think most of us would love to get more sleep, but we can't figure out how to make the time.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
“Her relentless pursuit of total ski supremacy isn’t about the high of winning or the glory of clinching a spot as a once-in-a-generation athlete. She wants to be the best skier in the world simply because she loves it. “One of the things that I love so much is that I have the opportunity to inspire people to ski,” she says. “I know for a lot of people who don't ski, or are just learning how to ski, you're like, ‘Why am I doing this? It's cold, it's hard, I'm falling, I'm bruised, and tiring.’ But the feeling you get when you make a clean turn, the exhilaration you feel is so addicting. It's like nothing else on earth. It's probably like driving Formula One—except you're not in a car; you're racing down an icy mountain on two little planks at 90 miles an hour. It feels like flying, and I'm totally addicted to it. When I'm on snow, I'm like, ‘Whoa! I like this, this is cool.’”

^Says a lot there. As long as she feels this way & keeps that attitude she will continue her success even if she doesn’t always win, if that makes sense.
5CB59A51-1927-4E40-A150-FE4A28DC37B9.jpeg

Sponsor