• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was a good article and one I would never have found because Glamour magazine is not on my radar. Thanks
I only saw it because Mikaela tweeted about it.
Glamour isn't on my radar either.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
A screenshot from her recent Instagram story,

A3454F3C-D517-4B01-9C7C-422A6F45C197.jpeg

For some, pressuring the outside ski is easy. For others, not so much.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
^^^
:eek::eek::eek:

Why is Mikaela Shiffrin giving a lesson? ... And how can I get one? :)

Get your a.. over to Cerro Castor, where she is training, make a wrong turn and end up on the training course. Then make like you don’t know how to ski and be the most cute and adorable thing one can imagine.

If one turns on the volume, one can hear, after she guides the child left and they clear the course, gates being whacked by a racer. Whew, that was a close one.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

““The one thing that I’m sure about is that I want to have pushed this sport to a higher level,” she says. “I want to get to this coming season and still be one of the top racers, but also be pushing my own limits, pushing the limits of the sport, and pushing the other girls to push themselves.” Shiffrin wishes she’d had that when she made her pro debut at 16. “In order to perform your best, you have to be able to feel confident,” she says. “In order to feel confident, you have to feel like the people around you are supporting you, like they're care about you, like you're in a safe space. All my teammates were a lot older than I was, so they had different interests. I was just alone.””

And, on goals for oneself vs expectations of others

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Calling ski racing a "team" sport is a stretch. I get that the athletes may all be from the same country. And that they may use a lot of the same resources (coaching, etc.), but when you get down to it, it's a competition for individuals.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Calling ski racing a "team" sport is a stretch. I get that the athletes may all be from the same country. And that they may use a lot of the same resources (coaching, etc.), but when you get down to it, it's a competition for individuals.

From a training and competition point of view, for sure. But, in the article, towards the end, she spoke of the loneliness. In the video interview, she’s conveying a message to those that follow her, to younger ones, be they on the team or not. She also speaks of not knowing Lindsey. To the degree that she can get to know her teammates and they know her, to share their experiences, feelings, and challenges, the less lonely it will be, which is huge.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
On race day, when you are in the course, it is just you. But all the time that surrounds the 2 - 3 minutes of race time on any given day you are living, traveling, eating and training with your teammates. There is a lot of support and respect that comes from your teammates, like family. Athletes in individual sports gain a lot from their teammates in confidence and reassurance that while they may not be on the podium they are doing a great job.

There are and have been standouts that we and the press focus on but there is a lot of background activity that is overlooked. Mikaela gets it and is pushing back by encouraging the younger and less successful athletes to be themselves and be happy with yourself. She is leading, in my mind, the development of an esprit de corps rather than the individual sensationalism that the press pushes and the fans gobble up.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Canada's "Crazy Canucks" men's DH racers from the late 70s to mid 80s begs to differ. Of course they did it by having Podborski, Read, Irwin, Murray, capable of a podium finish in every race so if one faltered another would flourish and by so doing they operated like a team sport.... admittedly, they were an exception and not normal, just crazy.