• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

James

Out There
Instructor
Sure sounds like the feedback from all of the skiers and coaches was consistent. Tremendous turnout, great enthusiasm, unlike anything they have ever experienced in the US. Great stuff!

Great stuff indeed. Kudos to those who attended. If you didn't, consider going next time if they have it or even to another venue. It's clear the difference it makes to the athletes. But there's another reason. It's possible the next Mikaela, Lindsey, or Julia was in the crowd somewhere. If not, it's highly likely if not a certainty that youngster will see it at some point on video. They can imagine themselves coming over the roll onto the final pitch with thousands of people cheering. Just like virtually every baseball player interviewed after a dramatic world series win says, "You dream about this as a kid..." The crowd going crazy is always a part of that dream.

Even cooler is kids can now go to Killington and ski the same trail that all the World Cup women skied and the one that Mikaela won on. They can come over the same roll and put themselves into the video of Mikaela racing down to the cheering crowd.

I know I'll think differently about coming down Superstar from now on even with the huge spring moguls. Especially the last part on the final pitch after the slight flat. Everyone seemed to loose time to Mikaela there.

So consider going. There's ways to deal with the crowds especially if you go with someone who knows the area. Don't forget you could actually ski. First run was at 9:30 and the lifts open at 8. Get there early and eat breakfast and you're likely to see the athletes coming in. Second run is 12:30 and finished before 2. It's perfectly acceptable to show up in boots to view the race.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, at least she knows how to inside-arm clear a gate! There are so many young racers these days who insist that it's an "unnecessary skill," when it often can save your bacon.

Hey man, can't be perfect all the time.
View attachment 16583

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey man, can't be perfect all the time.
View attachment 16583

she could have a future in Masters! :)

Hey, at least she knows how to inside-arm clear a gate! There are so many young racers these days who insist that it's an "unnecessary skill," when it often can save your bacon.

Great point Rudi! There are times when inside clear makes a whole lot more sense and keeps you in better balance. You got to remember to use all the tools in the box, including clearing with your head at times....although need to be careful when I do that in GS!! :eek:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Watched it on my MacBook. Worked great. No commentary, though. I wonder if they'll do that the second run, or whether that's just for paying customers.
I actually like the coverage without the commentary.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

I know it, that's what I told my daughter.

Swede that was 1st run probably the gate you are thinking of. This is two or three frames after the other photo I posted.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I made it to the slalom on Sunday and am still thinking about all the good things that happened at Killington that day. The biggest story was obviously Mikaela Shiffrin winning the slalom under incredible pressure, i.e. everyone expected her to win, skiing in front of one of the biggest crowds ever to watch a women's World Cup race, all the local connections to Vermont skiing, skiing in front of her grandmother.
Beyond that is the story of how Killington was able to pull of a World Cup race so early in the season in the face of less than favorable weather conditions leading up to race day. That and the huge number of volunteers who worked the race. Most of these folks were dedicated local ski club members from around the region with years of experience at putting on races under trying conditions. A tip of the cap to those folks, their expertise, and dedication to work at this race and at all the races every weekend at areas large and small across the country.
On the macro scale having a WC race at Killington and on national network TV with a great story in the GS with Tessa Worley's feel good win. At the micro level, it is great to see the passion for the sport that is evidenced by fans in the stands and the folks in the trenches who make everything go.
The size of the crowd was impressive, but the make up of the crowd was even more so. Lots of families with kids ranging from infants to adults. A very knowledgeable crowd who understood ski racing, and was more than willing to stand around and watch from well before the start at 9:30 through the end of the 2nd run around 2:00. Nobody left early. There was strong vocal support for all racers, even down to the last racer in the 1st run. Understandably the US skiers got the loudest cheers, but the love got spread around evenly and good performances were noted and cheered. The whole vibe was upbeat and positive. The crowd was also well represented by former racers from US team members on down through the college ranks, past and present. Lots of ski team jackets in evidence from Middlebury, Dartmouth, and Williams along with ski club jackets from programs throughout the northeast. It was a true celebration of New England ski racing.
The crowd also included fans from other nations. Quite a few Canadians made the trip to Killington. Flags from all the nations were flying in the crowd. The Slovakian and Slovenian fans had a lot to cheer about.
Kudos for all. Thanks to Tiger Shaw's new regime at USSA. Too many skiers on the east coast to wait another 30 years for another race. To marketers who say that ski racing doesn't matter, this event and a new attitude by USSA (and hopefully the FIS) should serve to change a few minds. Done right, it will serve to get more kids involved in ski racing which not only crates a pipeline to the top level of ski competition, but teaches many valuable life lessons at all levels.
I'm always struck by how well professional golfers speak at post round interviews. They are composed, articulate, and offer something other than platitudes. Mikaela Shiffrin is one of the best on the ski side. Her comments are incisive and well presented. She comes off as an intense competitor who has good social skills and can separate what she does on the hill from what she says after the race. I bet that the PGA makes their players go through interview charm school before they let them tee it up. All world cup racers should take a page out of the golf playbook on that front. Individual sport athletes are quite self-absorbed by nature. They have to be (up to a point) to be successful. But for fans to embrace a sport, they have to embrace the athletes. Ski racers could do themselves and their sport a big favor by perfecting the interview sound bites and making themselves fan favorites.

James

Out There
Instructor
I actually like the coverage without the commentary.
Here's the first run without commentary, posted below. You can hear the crowd up at the start for Mikaela.

The start for slalom appears to be just above the second cutoff in this photo where it's all green. Some shots of Superstar from an epic May of 2015. They make gobs of snow on that trail for the end of the year. I take it the huge pile they make at the top was done this year for the gs start. Even in early May you have to walk up from the top of the lift.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Cutting across the pile at top. This was called the upper headwall for the wcup race. @mdf pictured.

image.jpg

Going into the final pitch. Where those yellow round tents are was where the triangular shaped vip tent was. Some people watched it from chairs and a grill in that parking lot. (Unknown skier)

Screen grabs:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's the video. Mikaela at about 3:00.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was trying to embed this video but you have to go to the USST Facebook page to see it.
Click on the non working video where it says 'watch on Facebook' to go to the link.

Muleski

Inactive
Presume we all know that she is racing in her first ever WC downhill tomorrow at Lake Louise. Best of luck to her! I'm sure she'll do just fine. Lake Louise is a good track for her to debut. Think she did the SG last year?

As a friend said today, MS might score in DH, while Gut will probably not ski any SL!

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Presume we all know that she is racing in her first ever EC downhill tomorrow at Lake Louise....

As a friend said today, MS might score in DH, while Gut will probably not ski any SL!

World Cup, not Europa Cup. ogwink

18th & 32nd in 2 DH training runs. Not bad.

And 24th in today's final training run. Today's run was stacked with USST athletes at the top:

2nd: Alice McKennis
3rd: Laurenne Ross
4th: Stacey Cook
6th: Jacqueline Wiles

Gut was 12th in today's final tune-up.

Lake Louise is a good first DH for a tech racer: not as laden with technical challenges as some of the European tracks, though tending to favor gliders over turners.

Muleski

Inactive
EC.....damn autocorrect!!!!!
Duh!!

We shall see! Agree, it's a very gentle DH with about three important turns. Hard to predict anything based on training, but I think the US women will fare pretty well. Would be great to see MS score points.

Not Lara Gut's favorite hill, for the reasons that it's a good one for MS to start with, but I bet her skis will run REAL fast. Think she'll win at least one DH.

Nice to see the speed events starting for both the men and women!

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
She had such a wild run. Amazing how much faster that group was running.

Muleski

Inactive
I haven't watched any video yet. Couldn't watch it earlier. Was there any significant change in the weather that would speed up the track?

Always fun to see a pretty unexpected podium, and in many cases, weather makes a difference. Was just curious if that happened today.

Good to see that MS pulled it together, as evidently there was a crash and long course hold before she ran? I heard close to 10-15 minutes?

Should be a fun weekend!

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The wind was definitely a bit of a factor today. Stacey Cook was having a corker of a run until a gust caught her in the last 5-6 gates. Laurenne Ross had a similar challenge. Other top skiers definitely had to contend with variable winds, including Lara Gut.

And the course seemed to become faster as race progressed. Seems the sweet spot for fast skis was between 17 and 35 or so. Stöckli, Atomic, and Head had the top boards today, for sure. Hats off to the techs. Stöckli, in particular, did well: three of the top six, including the win.

And yes, there was a big crash from the Swiss athlete who ran 30th. Held up Mikaela for about 10 minutes, after which time the ROC ran two additional forerunners to re-establish a track. Mikaela handled it well, it seems, though it's evident that she's still figuring out speed.

Total props to Kajsa Kling for skiing a great run and almost getting that victory. @Swede was onto something: she's skiing well and has some fast skis. Gut is also skiing really well and can easily win tomorrow or Sunday.

Sponsor

Staff online