• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Again she kills it in the last 1/3 of the course. Right now she's got a secret. She's the only one who knows how to ski the last part of a course that fast. See if any of the other girls can figure it out and at least decrease the gap during this season. I have a hard time believing it. They have to race for 2nd in SL -- like in Ingemars days. Frida was very unhappy today with 10th. She has the capacity to podium every race. Apparently she's been a little off in practice too.
When everyone talked about how to watch the races on TV/streaming etc I came to think of when Ingemar was actice in the 70s and 80s. I was a kid in elementary school and Sweden stood still when he raced. I remember -- and this is the truth -- how our teacher rolled in a TV set in the class room and we'd have a short break in class to see Ingemars 1st run in Madonna Di Campiglio, Bormio or Saalbach in the morning, and then the 2nd after lunch.

She has done a few things better than anybody on the planet in recent years. One is her obviously quick, and efficient switch. Another is getting into the fall line, and moving down the hill sooner....in every turn. She puts time on the field in every turn. Or so it appears, and I am told.

Sometimes she will make a small mistake, or two, and keep pace with the field for a split, then she gets back to building her lead, and it looks like she had some last split magic. She has a history of skiing her fastest in the second half of her runs, and particularly her second runs. I think her track record is to almost never dump speed.

Is it her going hammer down with confidence to slam shut a victory? Some think so. Some that attributed it to her conditioning. And some think her transition from a pitch to flats is much better than anybody.....moving it down the hill.
Might be a combination of all three. Plus being really comfortable in that kind of situation.

Having said that, this is a weak women's field, and MS is not skiing as well she wasat this time a year ago. Yes, she had two SL wins, and leads the WC for now. But there are a few things going on. Not so sure that she doesn't need some boot tweaking....again.

I am also curious whenever a best in class athlete makes a coaching change. Fingers crossed for all that they work well together.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thinking that every serious real skier should try and watch (in person) these World Cup racers.

I had the privilege of watching Peek a Boo train SG and Downhill at Portillo and standing 10 feet off the course was very awe inspiring when you realize the power, technique and speed these racers achieve. I was skiing Alpine one day and Steve and Phil Mahre were in the same vicinity warming up. The speed these two reached just warming up is very humbling.

Mikaela is something to watch, sort of everyone else racing for 2nd place, like Stenmark in his day. Will be very entertaining and interesting to see Shiffrin move forward in GS, SG and even Downhill. Fun to watch her suceed.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Yes, Ingemar too.

IIRC Stenmark was banned from the 84' Olympics but continued to race with what they called a B license. Then they changed the rules again & he was allowed back in the Olympics in 88'.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
What was the start of the slalom course? Did they start atop the second steep pitch so you could basically see the whole thing from the lodge?

Glad to see that the turnout was so successful!

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Saw the second run on tv, she was really launching into the air on some of those turns. Either tails off the snow or one or both skis at times. Didn't see the whole field so not sure if that was consistent across other racers. I remember her being much smoother in previous races.

Always fun to watch.

Looked like a nice big crowd there in person.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
DSC_0456.jpg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking that every serious real skier should try and watch (in person) these World Cup racers.

I had the privilege of watching Peek a Boo train SG and Downhill at Portillo and standing 10 feet off the course was very awe inspiring when you realize the power, technique and speed these racers achieve. I was skiing Alpine one day and Steve and Phil Mahre were in the same vicinity warming up. The speed these two reached just warming up is very humbling.

Mikaela is something to watch, sort of everyone else racing for 2nd place, like Stenmark in his day. Will be very entertaining and interesting to see Shiffrin move forward in GS, SG and even Downhill. Fun to watch her suceed.

Fo those of us in the West we will have the opportunity to see them at Squaw in March..:)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So, Mikaela Shiffrin was actually at the top of the "Trending" feed on Facebook for awhile. I mean she was out-trending Kanye Kardashian, Trump, Black Friday & many others... Is that good or bad?

Last edited:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fo those of us in the West we will have the opportunity to see them at Squaw in March..:)

I sorta hate to admit but I was at the Olympics at Squaw in 1960 and I have raced the Red Dog SG course that was a little similar to the one for the Olympics (at least in my mind/memory and gets harder with every passing year ;) ).

James

Out There
Instructor
Shiffrin comments on Killington crowd for slalom:
"You could hear them up in the start cheering...I really love that..."
"I'd definitely say that in these type of races the crowd totally carries me down the hill."

Nice Killington to represent!

image.jpg

Crowd filling up on Sunday.
From FIS video:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got a chance to watch MS runs. Interesting. Almost didn't look like her! . She was bringing the skis across the hill a lot more than usual when (for me) her trademark- and advantage - has always been the early switch, not wasting time finishing the last 25% of the turn but getting the ski into the fall line quicker than anyone else. Still good obviously but not so distinctly ahead of the pack. I have to wonder if her focus on GS has been bleeding over and making her slalom form more conventional. Also looked like she was dropping the hips and getting caught a little bit in the back seat. Might be related to the possible boot issue referred to by MuleSki (the other MS!!!) . Just MHO of course!

WRT the venue, great to see a big crowd, obviously making themselves heard and cheering on. That really gives a huge boost to the athletes!

Sponsor