• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Thanks, Rudi!

Just exchanged a few texts with a friend there.
First podium in speed for all three; that's pretty neat, IMO. Fun times.
He is fairly close to Team Gut. Guess she's feeling good about her skiing and in particular her skis. Very confident. Bet we see a win and a podium, maybe two wins. Good opportunity for her with no LV, as this isn't her favorite stop. He said that she shows her skiing is dialed. Things were out of her control today and @ K.

I would assume that Team MS is pretty pleased all things considered. Good to get the first one in the books. Guess we'll get a read on how well she's adapting to gliding. 2 seconds out is pretty impressive.....

Almost all of the US girls can ski well there.

Should be more fun!

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah wind was a factor and the sweet spot in the field was as posted. Some great skiing, a lot of women also having trouble with a couple jumps (thinking wind related).

Kudos to MS for keeping it together. She seems pretty pleased at the corral. Super great with the young racers. She had to deal with a pretty long hold after the crash....they started up the choppers but ultimately didn't need them.

Gut looked amazing out there, she just looks so smooth moving from one edge to another. Was fun seeing her rip by us at the last jump before finish.

Nice to see such a fresh podium. Kling's run was wild, not quite Bode wild but along those lines, amazing that she kept it on her skis and posted such a good time.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Talked to the course guys and the track was really great for the ladies. Given the men's event didn't run don't think the ladies had to deal with as severe of a course as they normally would (no injection from what I was told). Course was firm and fast but not the ice rink we see at certain points in the pitch.

Muleski

Inactive
Talked to the course guys and the track was really great for the ladies. Given the men's event didn't run don't think the ladies had to deal with as severe of a course as they normally would (no injection from what I was told). Course was firm and fast but not the ice rink we see at certain points in the pitch.

Was described to me as "Great." Firm, buffed flat, and the perfect amount of grip. Sounds like the entire LL crew should be congratulated. Amazing how much work goes into a race series like this. And NorAms next week?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Norams next week right after the weekend if I remember correctly.
Track looks really, really good. Can't wait to rip turns on it after all the events are done next week. Kids can't wait to start running gates on the pristine surface.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And a viewing tip for people watching the speed races and finding the seeding a bit different than in years past:

It used to be that the top seed of racers (the top seven on the World Cup Start List, or WCSL) would start between numbers 16 and 22, with the other racers in the top 30 being able to draw numbers 1-15 or 23-30.

Over the off-season at the FIS meetings, a new format was proposed by the Austrian Ski Federation and approved by the FIS World Cup competition committee:
  • Athletes 1-10 on the World Cup Start List (WCSL) will select between bibs 1-19 (odd numbers)
  • Athletes 11-20 on WCSL will be drawn between bibs 2-20 (even numbers)
  • Athletes 21-30 on WCSL will be drawn between bibs 21-30
The rationale for this was to spread out the top skiers throughout the top 20, making for a better TV watching experience (thus why there was a TV break after bib 20, where there used to be TV breaks after bib 15). It's doesn't help the cause of U.S. broadcasters, who would rather have a commercial break after bib 15, but North America isn't the big target audience for coverage.

(Reference here: http://www.skiracing.com/stories/new-start-order-ski-radius-changes-confirmed-by-fis - though you can also look on the FIS website under the ICR and various amendments from the annual meetings, such riveting reading it is!)

Shiffrin starts number 31 due to her overall WCSL ranking - on pure DH points alone, she would be starting at or near the end of the field. After today's result, she has moved up to number 42 in the DH WCSL standings, though she'll still start 31st as the top racers on the overall WCSL are given special accommodation after the top 30 racers have run. It's the same reason Ligety starts DH events in the 31st slot.

Muleski

Inactive

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Podium -- check!
Next goal a win. Perhaps already today or tomorrow in SG?
Finally something for Swedish speed fans to Kling on to.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
How is Lila doing?

She's had two WC SL starts. Levi and Killington. Didn't quite ski fast enough to get a second run {top 30} in either. Next WC start is in about a week, in France. I would assume that she will be skiing a lot of NorAms, starting later in the month. Europa Cups, I doubt. And the WC. Just working to get a touch faster and find the next gear consistently, too. She is so darn close.

She's got a ton of talent, and she is still young.
We, in this country, have had this tendency to rush our women to the WC: MS and Mancuso were on a WC starting gate at 15. LV soon thereafter. Back up in time and it's always been the case. Schleper, Koz, McKinney,

Lila is in a great position to just keep getting faster, stronger, and be a force for some time.

We forget how young MS is, and how insanely talented she is. It's a bit of a problem, in that a good number of parents with talented and hard working daughters feel that their kids are not progressing fast enough or "behind." Their kids might be among the best and most promising U16's in the country, but guess what ......MS had her first WC start at about the same age. One downside to MS's success is "the Michaela effect." Every high level junior girls coach has had to deal with it. Some think it has caused kids to drop out. Some parents are clueless. And some of them are parents of high potential kids. You have really exceptional coaches saying that the skiing matters a lot more than results until you're skiing FIS, and parents push back.

If you have a U10, U12, U14...results do not matter at all. And don't get worked up over U16 results! Encourage them all!

When I was at MS' J3 JO's, and saw her just torch the SL field, by almost 12 seconds, I was standing with a couple of friends, very experienced ex USST coaches. Both said something like "that was incredible, and this is going to be real interesting to manage." They knew that there would be kids who would need encouragement. Because she was just off the charts in everything.

I know recent NCAA All American skiers, sub 25 point skiers, who had real doubts when they were 17-18, and this 15 year old was smoking them. Luckily they had coaches and parents to put it in perspective, and they kept at it.

In Lila's case, she is a year older than MS. She is a top 40 SL skier in the world, which is just tremendous. She was second at US Nationals in the SL last year. Great. She was over six seconds behind MS, as well. Wow.

There is a challenge to this for the USST. We need to celebrate success and continuous improvement all across the board, and really recognize that Lila is exceptional, as are others. We need to be aware that MS is from another planet. As is LV.

Perhaps this year's change to have MS on her own program with her own coaching and support staff will actually help with that? It might be better for Lila, Resi and the others.

It gets blurry with MS being this once a lifetime talent. I had a friend ask me the other day what I thought the USST's plan would be if MS had a blow out with her mother and decided to just quit after next season, go to college and "have a normal life." I seriously doubt that ever happens. But you never know.

Lila is our third best woman SL skier, with big upside. Hope she has a great year. Might be still getting used to her new boots..that happened this summer, and takes time to get used to. Everybody and his/her brother second guesses equipment changes, and they matter. Listen to how often Bode mentioned it on NBC yesterday,

We have a lot of strong, young talent that needs to be developed. As an organization, the USST really blew this for a number of years. Big void. After the 2018 post Olympic retirements, and a few other likely cuts, we're going to have about the youngest national team in alpine skiing.

Sorry for the tangent, and for being so wordy. Guess I think Lila and others need more airtime and more kudos, And I both celebrate what we get to watch with MS, as well as the challenges. Once a generation, for sure.

It's an individual sport, but some nations have really captured lightning in a bottle with building real teams. We have some pieces in place. It seems to work. When in is all about the superstar, it can be a bit problematic. See the Austrian men. They have the best skier in the game, and who knows what else. Before MH's arrival, they were so loaded, top to bottom, in every event. Challenge to have both.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well said, Señor Mule! The verbose nature of your post is welcome: these matters aren't always clear-cut, especially to somebody who isn't as inside the sport.

As for today's DH.... different race, for sure. Only looking at the results - did they use the lower start due to fog?

Muleski

Inactive
Well said, Señor Mule! The verbose nature of your post is welcome: these matters aren't always clear-cut, especially to somebody who isn't as inside the sport.

As for today's DH.... different race, for sure. Only looking at the results - did they use the lower start due to fog?

Thanks. I get carried away....how is Lila doing gets answered with a redesign of the USST!

I have not watched the LL race yet. Did see results. And heard that the weather really changed as the race went on. Got a text telling me that they had fingers crossed to get through the whole field. Bright sun to flat light and snow at the end. Pretty special day for the winner! Had to be!

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not giving away any results to those who haven't watched yet, but it's interesting to note that Shiffrin had the fastest speed at the second (and highest speed) speed trap in today's race. So Atomic is providing her with some hot speed boards - it's really the pilot (and possibly the weather, as well) that is keeping her from placing higher. Give her a few more races and... well, she'll very likely be a four event threat.

Muleski

Inactive
Equally interesting that Bode has just said that the men's Atomics are NOT running well today.
MS, BTW has probably got tremendous tech support as this is a huge opportunity for Atomic. Bode is so vocal on this equipment front. Very big on Head's speed. Interesting.

Re: MS, this is not going to be a mystery to her. She was a speed talent in her one NorAm year. But, but, her primary coach is not a speed guy. Her regular tech has not had to deal with speed for her before. I think this is a huge step for her. Going to need some management, IMO.

The four event challenge is managing the calendar, logistics, travel....getting rest and staying healthy. Not injury, basic colds, getting run down. One of my friends spent a lot of the winter with Bode before he quit SL, and say it was exhausting by a huge incremental factor.

The equipment piece is huge. And MS {and her mom} love to rest, love to train, do drills. Skiing four events just wipes so much off the calendar. Including a lot of SL training.

This will be VERY interesting. To me the question is going to be if this dilutes her SL dominance and slows what could be GS dominance on the horizon. I would have bet on the GS this summer. Not so much now. Lara Gut is going to be the GS globe winner. She would have destroyed the field at Killington, on a decent surface. Or so I hear. The compliment that "she is skiing GS like a guy" is heard a lot. It was so clear at Soelden. She has every part of her program working. If the hill isn't gentle and flat, she is going to be hard to beat. That seems to have been her off season focus. Along with getting even stronger.

The four event strategy is obviously to win an overall WC, soon. Don't know who is driving that bus. I do hear that she does not seem as confident as she usually is. Just people observing her expressions and body language off camera. Not just expecting to win every SL run, and very potentially in GS.

She is going to score plenty of points in speed. This is NOT a strong field of women, and a lot of SG's are very technical. And she's done real well this weekend.

I think it's pretty fascinating in a number of ways. Wish MS and her team the best. Would not rule out a thing. Going to be a lot of work!

Muleski

Inactive
Just happened to take a look at another online forum, which I visit pretty infrequently, and post on about once a year. Hint, not Epic. Run by a guy who has a lot of race coaching experience, and I think it's safe to say "strong opinions." Lays it right out there.

Suffice it to say that he thinks MS's skiing has taken a real dive this season, and thinks this move into speed is going to be a disaster. Makes the point that Hirscher won three overall WC's before he ran his first WC SG.

He's previously mentioned that he thinks she has boot issues again. He has not mentioned any issues with the coaching changes. I am still very, very curious as to who "hatched" the four event plan. It takes a lot of time, and it takes away a lot of tech training and rest time.

Just thought I'd mention his forum post. You probably all who who I'm speaking of. He is pretty clear with his opinion. Directionally, I hope he's not right on the speed stuff.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online