• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Oh, right. These television things confuse me. Thanks for the link!
Believe me, it confuses me too. First time I've used the live streaming, downloaded the app to my Ipad this morning & then looked at the screen saying that the "event would begin soon"... It didn't start for another 40 minutes.
I think I'll just watch the 2nd run on TV.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Watched it on my MacBook. Worked great. No commentary, though. I wonder if they'll do that the second run, or whether that's just for paying customers.

4ster

Instructor
Sometimes I think it's kinda nice without the commentary.

Seems like NBC often just brings in random people they have on contract or something who don't really know ski racing. They have recently added some former US ski team folks for an insiders perspective, which is cool but they are hardly seasoned veterans in the announcers booth. They usually tend to just repeat the same little catch phrases.

The best was last year when they had Bode doing commentary at Birds of Prey, he was great!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just watched it on NBCSports on the AppleTV.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Disappointing fifth for Mikaela in the gs today. She says she doesn't have gs dialed in yet on race day, though in training she's much more on. Slalom tomorrow.

Félicitations à la skieuse française Tessa Worley — actuellement deuxième en classement coupe de monde.

4ster

Instructor
Tough conditions. Spring skiing in the fog.
Really liked the skiing of Austrian Stephanie Brunner, too bad she went out in run 2.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought NBC did a good job. Would have liked to see the first run too, but I understand we are a limited market.

Didn't get a chance to look at the live feed in time this morning.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- Félicitations à la skieuse française Tessa Worley — actuellement deuxième en classement coupe de monde.
This following photo is great, (see the gate), she so killed it for the others -

625919862.jpg

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...m-world-cup/tQavMSs64j0jfRkLKY97YO/story.html

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Cool trivia provided by Doug Lewis - the daughter of the winner of Vermont's last World Cup (Stratton '78) was racing yesterday (I think it was Frida Hansdottir but not 100%).

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Doug Lews is doing on-site commentary for the audience there at Killington.

Cool trivia provided by Doug Lewis - the daughter of the winner of Vermont's last World Cup (Stratton '78) was racing yesterday (I think it was Frida Hansdottir but not 100%).

That was Tina Weirather, daughter of Hanni Wenzel, who won at Stratton in 1978.

4ster

Instructor

That was probably Tina Weirather whose mother was Hani Wenzel who married Harti Weirather. Both parents were World Cup stars in the early 80's.

Visibility & conditions look much better today! & the field looks baffled :doh::eek::popcorn:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Again she kills it in the last 1/3 of the course. Right now she's got a secret. She's the only one who knows how to ski the last part of a course that fast. See if any of the other girls can figure it out and at least decrease the gap during this season. I have a hard time believing it. They have to race for 2nd in SL -- like in Ingemars days. Frida was very unhappy today with 10th. She has the capacity to podium every race. Apparently she's been a little off in practice too.
When everyone talked about how to watch the races on TV/streaming etc I came to think of when Ingemar was actice in the 70s and 80s. I was a kid in elementary school and Sweden stood still when he raced. I remember -- and this is the truth -- how our teacher rolled in a TV set in the class room and we'd have a short break in class to see Ingemars 1st run in Madonna Di Campiglio, Bormio or Saalbach in the morning, and then the 2nd after lunch.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Doug Lews is doing on-site commentary for the audience there at Killington.

That was Tina Weirather, daughter of Hanni Wenzel, who won at Stratton in 1978.

Hanni took double gold at Lake Placid games 1980.

4ster

Instructor
When everyone talked about how to watch the races on TV/streaming etc I came to think of when Ingemar was actice in the 70s and 80s. I was a kid in elementary school and Sweden stood still when he raced. I remember -- and this is the truth -- how our teacher rolled in a TV set in the class room and we'd have a short break in class to see Ingemars 1st run in Madonna Di Campiglio, Bormio or Saalbach in the morning, and then the 2nd after lunch.

Ski racing ain't what it used to be in the States. It seems like around 10-15 years ago TV coverage was almost non existent. In the 80's & 90's coverage of World Cup & Pro racing was a regular thing & it was pretty rare for a US skier to even get in the top 30. Then when athletes like Rahlves, Schlopy, Miller, Mancuso, Kildow/Vonn came along coverage dried up... Go figure?

Now we've got Ligety, Vonn & Shiffrin & it is still a struggle to watch the races. Once they get to Europe any coverage on TV may not even happen the same day as the race, making it extremely difficult to watch the race without knowing the results ahead of time :( . People tend to get very excited to share.

At least this weekends races had some hype behind them & both days were covered on regular network TV (at least the second run was live, or close to it) which is rare. Even Beaver Creek races usually only got 1 hour consolidated network coverage out of 3 days of racing & sometimes it was a week or 2 after the fact.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January