• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Watching Mikaela while she was part of the Ford Sayre program was really impressive. Even when she was really young, you could tell how good she could be. It was incredible.

Not too surprised Dyksterhouse moved on. He's a fantastic coach, but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way and seems to have a short shelf life before people have had enough of him. The timing of the change (or at least, the timing of the announcement) was a bit surprising. I would have thought he'd stay through world champs at least.

She was pretty amazing as a J5! No doubt about that! The friend who pointed her out is ex USST, and simply said "watch....."

Dykster rubs a lot of people in different ways, he is anything but conventional. As we all know, we have a lot of conventional thinkers in this business! So it's easy for some to just not buy into how he goes about things. I think that some people have a very distorted and inaccurate opinion of his career path. I don't buy into the short shelf life. You look at where he's been, and for how long, and I think it's logical.

He left GMVS after five years for the BC Provincial job, where he did a great job with many of today's WC guys for about three years. He was basically given what looked like a tremendous opportunity to go run Front Range, and that business just didn't work. That was a year plus? Then he was sought ought by Ski Club Vail, and Aldo Radamus to serve as the athletic director. All of the PD's reported to him. One of the bigger jobs in the country, safe to say. Or certainly one that would be hard to pass up. I think he was there for three years. From there to MS and the team. I think {but don't know for sure} that he agreed after the first half season to stick around through 2018. Obviously that did not happen.

Maybe he wears thin on some people. Have not had that inpression at least in recent years.
The Canadian system sure wanted him to stick around. He could have been in a great place at SSCV, but I think he missed actually coaching. Not going to comment on the recent change, as nobody else has publicly. I have NO doubts that he was pretty brash at UNM and at GMVS. He was pretty young.

Yep, you have people with varying Dykster opinions. I've seen him help a lot of people ski real fast over the years. And he was a hell of a skier himself. Heard him described more than once as the best GS skier to not get picked up by the USST.

He's unique. No question. Just my opinion. I think as coach he is very talented. My daughter was having some issues in college, and she spent two days with him, basically doing a lot of free skiing and drills. She maintains that it was probably her two best days with a coach in 19 years of ski racing.....

Some probably say genius, others.....not so much! HaHa. I get it. He has a TON of energy, and ideas, and it doesn't work for everybody.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To the point about marketing -
Notice that the link in the OP was by Red Bull on Redbulletin.
Mostly its about the racing, but its also about pleasing those who provide for you, and about creating relevancy long after you're done bashing gate.
Some athletes do this better than others. Mikaela is da bomb!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mostly its about the racing, but its also about pleasing those who provide for you, and about creating relevancy long after you're done bashing gate.
Some athletes do this better than others. Mikaela is da bomb!
I definitely don't know her, so I can't say this for sure, but I would say she had some great coaching concerning this PR thing. I will never forget Lienz press conference few years ago, after her first win (or was it first podium? I don't remember now). I was in press center finishing sending photos, when press conference started few rows infront of me. I never really care much about that, but you still sort of hear they talk. And all of a sudden I was like "Wtf??? What the hell is Lindsey doing there as she was nowhere near top 3". Then I looked up and saw it wasn't Lindsey but some 16 or 17 years old kid handling her first ever real press conference like she would be 30 years old doing this sort of things for majority of her life. I was really impressed with that. I mean some people are more open some not, but I don't think it's possible for anyone to be natural like this on your first show infront of some 100+ journalists from all over the world.
And that's one thing (most) of US guys and girls have sorted out way better then anyone else (I assume USST has some coaching done for this too). Personally I really don't like Lindsey and her, excuse my description, being publicity whore. But that's what brings her money, and I can only admire her when it comes to this. Everything is cool for some extra publicity and there's never problem to answer few questions, pose for photo or sign autographs to kids, no matter if her run was amazing or amazingly bad. Maze on the other side kept her stubborn "I do whatever I want to do and don't give a sh**it about PR" attitude and if she was in good mood, it was easy to deal with, if not, there was simply no chance to do anything. And on the end of the day, Lindsey is one of best paid athletes ever in skiing, Tina on the other side, got some minor money, but that's about it. And as far as this is concerned, Mikaela is going Lindsey's way, at least when handling press, just that, for my taste, much much nicer way, not grasping for every possible photo op there is.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I definitely don't know her, so I can't say this for sure, but I would say she had some great coaching concerning this PR thing. I will never forget Lienz press conference few years ago, after her first win (or was it first podium? I don't remember now). I was in press center finishing sending photos, when press conference started few rows infront of me. I never really care much about that, but you still sort of hear they talk. And all of a sudden I was like "Wtf??? What the hell is Lindsey doing there as she was nowhere near top 3". Then I looked up and saw it wasn't Lindsey but some 16 or 17 years old kid handling her first ever real press conference like she would be 30 years old doing this sort of things for majority of her life. I was really impressed with that. I mean some people are more open some not, but I don't think it's possible for anyone to be natural like this on your first show infront of some 100+ journalists from all over the world.
And that's one thing (most) of US guys and girls have sorted out way better then anyone else (I assume USST has some coaching done for this too). Personally I really don't like Lindsey and her, excuse my description, being publicity whore. But that's what brings her money, and I can only admire her when it comes to this. Everything is cool for some extra publicity and there's never problem to answer few questions, pose for photo or sign autographs to kids, no matter if her run was amazing or amazingly bad. Maze on the other side kept her stubborn "I do whatever I want to do and don't give a sh**it about PR" attitude and if she was in good mood, it was easy to deal with, if not, there was simply no chance to do anything. And on the end of the day, Lindsey is one of best paid athletes ever in skiing, Tina on the other side, got some minor money, but that's about it. And as far as this is concerned, Mikaela is going Lindsey's way, at least when handling press, just that, for my taste, much much nicer way, not grasping for every possible photo op there is.
You summed it up quite nicely.
Another one who's done pretty well to stay relevant is Julia Mancuso. She has taken a different spin on it.
Where Mikaela (and LIndsey) has taken the "this is my serious workout, and this is how I eat to stay fit" path of staying in the public eye, Julia has taken the, "Hey, I'm in Hawaii surfing for the summer to stay in shape." Julia just looks like she's having fun fun fun.

@Muleski posted a story about girls race day at Loveland (IIRC) on a powder day and the differences in how LV, MS and JM interacted with the girls. That's the kind of example of how each of these fine ladies approaches skiing, and life itself.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I met MS at a public appearance at a grocery store when she was like 18 or 19, and was amazed by how polished and professional she was at dealing with her public too. She was genuinely friendly and outgoing and left me with the feeling that she was thrilled to meet me, instead of the other way around! I'm sure she's gotten plenty of good PR coaching but I don't think anyone can fake it that well. I assume she's just really a warm and sincere person. It makes it even easier to root for her.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
She was pretty amazing as a J5! No doubt about that! The friend who pointed her out is ex USST, and simply said "watch....."

Dykster rubs a lot of people in different ways, he is anything but conventional. As we all know, we have a lot of conventional thinkers in this business! So it's easy for some to just not buy into how he goes about things. I think that some people have a very distorted and inaccurate opinion of his career path. I don't buy into the short shelf life. You look at where he's been, and for how long, and I think it's logical.

He left GMVS after five years for the BC Provincial job, where he did a great job with many of today's WC guys for about three years. He was basically given what looked like a tremendous opportunity to go run Front Range, and that business just didn't work. That was a year plus? Then he was sought ought by Ski Club Vail, and Aldo Radamus to serve as the athletic director. All of the PD's reported to him. One of the bigger jobs in the country, safe to say. Or certainly one that would be hard to pass up. I think he was there for three years. From there to MS and the team. I think {but don't know for sure} that he agreed after the first half season to stick around through 2018. Obviously that did not happen.

Maybe he wears thin on some people. Have not had that inpression at least in recent years.
The Canadian system sure wanted him to stick around. He could have been in a great place at SSCV, but I think he missed actually coaching. Not going to comment on the recent change, as nobody else has publicly. I have NO doubts that he was pretty brash at UNM and at GMVS. He was pretty young.

Yep, you have people with varying Dykster opinions. I've seen him help a lot of people ski real fast over the years. And he was a hell of a skier himself. Heard him described more than once as the best GS skier to not get picked up by the USST.

He's unique. No question. Just my opinion. I think as coach he is very talented. My daughter was having some issues in college, and she spent two days with him, basically doing a lot of free skiing and drills. She maintains that it was probably her two best days with a coach in 19 years of ski racing.....

Some probably say genius, others.....not so much! HaHa. I get it. He has a TON of energy, and ideas, and it doesn't work for everybody.

Personally, I like Dykster a lot, and liked him a lot when he was at GMVS and I did a bunch of work with him. But he definitely did not leave on the best of terms there or at UNM. I connected well with him ... other athletes did not.

You're drawing out Dykster's timeline a bit ... He was at Front Range for a few months (spring-fall 2013) before jumping to SSCV. FRSC continued for a few years after he left, but they had problems ($$$) from the beginning ... lots of high-profile people cycling through (and having trouble cashing their checks). But, let's be honest, nobody can blame him for going to SSCV; it was a MUCH better opportunity. He was at SSCV for about a year before being named USST coach in Dec 2015.

I'm sure he's better to deal with now, but I'd be surprised if he's "easy" to deal with.

Dykterhouse definitely a great skier. Probably between him and Warner as being the best GS skier not to get picked up by the USST ...

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
SH, let's keep this about MS, and if anybody cares about RBD coaching her while he was still under contract with SSCV and on loan to the USST. No need to do date checking on his resume, etc.

No need to get into a performance review of Dykster on line, either. I've known him since he was a student at SMS, before he transferred to GMVS. WCN is a very close family friend, BTW. Dykster had more upside, and WCN agrees. A kid named Miller thinks they both could have been exceptional with the right support.

I'm a bit more aware of Nora's passion re FRSC, and some of the issues there than most. You may recall that RBD hired Yoshi to be his alpine PD. I am VERY familiar with his time at SSCV.

FRSC was a "concept" that excited a number of people at the time, none more that RBD. He sure was jacked up about it.

PM if you care to discuss. I don't think it's "right" to get into it here. Meanwhile, should be a great weekend in VT! Go MS!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
SH, let's keep this about MS, and if anybody cares about RBD coaching her while he was still under contract with SSCV and on loan to the USST. No need to do date checking on his resume, etc.

No need to get into a performance review of Dykster on line, either. I've known him since he was a student at SMS, before he transferred to GMVS. WCN is a very close family friend, BTW. Dykster had more upside, and WCN agrees. A kid named Miller thinks they both could have been exceptional with the right support.

I'm a bit more aware of Nora's passion re FRSC, and some of the issues there than most. You may recall that RBD hired Yoshi to be his alpine PD. I am VERY familiar with his time at SSCV.

FRSC was a "concept" that excited a number of people at the time, none more that RBD. He sure was jacked up about it.

PM if you care to discuss. I don't think it's "right" to get into it here. Meanwhile, should be a great weekend in VT! Go MS!

Fair enough, this is a Shiffrin thread

Pretty stoked to see her (and the rest of the tour) this weekend. Really curious to see the state of MS's SL. Really didn't look sharp (to me) in Levi, especially on the pitch, even though she won.

Last edited:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Tricia for starting this thread. Thanks also to the race fans who contribute here. I raced for 25 yrs and always loved the thrill and life. Shiffrin is a real talent and seems to be a genuinely nice human being. Love following her racing. Thanks.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My listing says tomorrow's Killington race will be broadcast on NBC at 1PM mountain time.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
My listing says tomorrow's Killington race will be broadcast on NBC at 1PM mountain time.

I'm in the Pacific time zone and I see the USSA Women's Killington race scheduled on NBC (over-the-air HD broadcast) for noon-1pm on Sunday the 27th.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm working but I may be able to pull it up on my iPad at work.

4ster

Instructor
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is also a live feed. I believe it begins at 9:30am eastern time.
At 6:30 AM I'll be driving to work. Perhaps I can listen on the radio on my way in, and tune in on my iPad when I'm there.

4ster

Instructor
At 6:30 AM I'll be driving to work. Perhaps I can listen on the radio on my way in, and tune in on my iPad when I'm there.

I usually just DVR & watch later. Everyone with a tv gets NBC. Sunday's SL is on UniversalHD.
Today I may just watch the live streaming since it is at a reasonable hour. Here is the link for GS run one:
http://liveextra.nbcsports.com

4ster

Instructor
Well, they streamed the first run, anyway.

Yeah, I watched the 1st run stream. Played way better on my Ipad mini than on my HP laptop. Here's the info I found for run 2:
Giant Slalom Run 2
Time: 3-4pm ET
Where to watch: NBC and Live Streaming on NBC Sports
Live Stream Link: http://livestream.nbcsports.com