• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
There was a letter shared with all the HOA Managers from the Prez at Snowshoe and she mentioned 3/24 with a caveat to extend if Mother Nature cooperates.

Well, that's good--I wonder when we will know, though. I guess probably at the last minute.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ima gonna hit Appalachian (or Beech or Sugar) one more time this season, probably Saturday the 9th unless there is high probability of rain. Already skied in the rain enough this season hahahaha..

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ima gonna hit Appalachian (or Beech or Sugar) one more time this season, probably Saturday the 9th unless there is high probability of rain. Already skied in the rain enough this season hahahaha..

We skied Beech a week ago, it was a very high probability of rain. But the new lift is nice, no lines, and wide open runs - both of them :)

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking to do 1 or 2 more midweek half days at wintergreen, one weekend day trip to snowshoe, then winter park, co the first week in April!

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
For the DMV crowd, last night’s snow filled in nicely at Roundtop. 7 inches total, seemed like about half of that after the lifts closed. Snow stayed soft all day today. With cold weather all week and hopefully snowmaking each night, skiing should be really nice this week.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
Snowshoe is extending their season one week. Now closing on 3/31 instead of 3/24

Really??? That's awesome since I am already booked there that week!

In related news, it never fails that the moment I leave Snowshoe, they get more snow. We left Sunday morning, and it's been nearly a foot of snow since then.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Got out to Wintergreen yesterday for about 3 hours. They are blowing snow on many of the trails, and the slopes are in mid-season condition. Surface was sugary in some places, firmer but really carvable in others. Only disappointment was that the Outer Limits bump run was closed. Moguls would have been pretty hard and unforgiving anyway. Safety Patrol guy I spoke with say that the weekend after next will be the last - I hope that is not true, it sure seems like they could make it to the 24th without too much trouble.

Anyway, a few pics:

Outer limits, closed yesterday. Last week these bumps were soft and forgiving, and probably will be again next week
OLBumps.jpg

Bumps on Upper Cliffhanger. I picked my way thru these a few times, dealing with the ice and ruts as best I could.
cliffbumps.jpg

Up above the resort all the trees were coated in ice.
ice..jpg

View of Eagles Swoop from the observation area
swoop.jpg

View of the Highlands on the drive home
highlands.jpg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Heading up to Appalachian tomorrow morning. Rain should be ending before I get there mid morning. Sun should peek out for a bit. Might be my last runs of the season unless conditions hold later in the month. Looking like a solo run, Kids are opting out.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Spent a nice partial day at Whitetail skiing with @JohnL and @MaryG ... Conditions were actually pretty good. A little scrapey an hard in places in the morning with some fog, but the sun and warm temps softened things up later. Conditions were actually getting pretty heavy and sticky in places when we left around 1:00. That was my first time at Whitetail this season... it's been a weird season. Normally I'd have a handful of days there by now. And it was only my second day in the mid-A.

Whitetail 030919 001 DC ACR Conv.jpg Whitetail 030919 003 DC ACR Conv.jpg Whitetail 030919 004 DC ACR Conv.jpg Whitetail 030919 005 DC ACR Conv.jpg Whitetail 030919 007 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Last edited:

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
I was at Whitetail yesterday as well. Agree the conditions were nice. Disappointed they didn’t blow snow with the cold temps this week, but hear that’s normal for early March. My guess is maybe 2 weekends left with all trails open at best. Brown spots were showing thru by 2pm. Skiing in the sun was great!

Spent a nice partial day at Whitetail skiing with @JohnL and @gardenmary ... Conditions were actually pretty good. A little scrapey an hard in places in the morning with some fog, but the sun and warm temps softened things up later. Conditions were actually getting pretty heavy and sticky in places when we left around 1:00. That was my first time at Whitetail this season... it's been a weird season. Normally I'd have a handful of days there by now. And it was only my second day in the mid-A.

View attachment 67910 View attachment 67911 View attachment 67912 View attachment 67913 View attachment 67914

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Would love to head out to SS for closing weekend to show my support but we will be heading out to Winter Park for our first ever family trip out west. We will be doing our final mid Atlantic turns this season at SS this coming weekend

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm slated to head to SS this weekend and again during the week of March 25 (thank goodness they stayed open that extra week--it's my daughter's spring break). Looking forward to getting more turns in, and I hope they keep blowing snow.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
We are taking our 2 oldest grand kids to SS this weekend. I grabbed them both an Ikon Base Pass last year as it was only 29 bucks for 4 yr olds. I told their parents we'd put them in ski school for the day on Saturday. Holy smokes, $166.32 EACH.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
Bought Ridiculous Passes for me and my wife, and an Ikon Base pass for my daughter (since Snowshoe doesn't have a kids' ridiculous pass that I could see, it was the same price). My ex-wife takes my daughter skiing in Colorado, though usually at Keystone and A-Basin, but if they happen to go next season, maybe they try Copper because of the Ikon Base pass. In any event, for the same price, might as well get the added availability just in case we find ourselves somewhere to use it!

Looking forward to skiing this weekend--going to be our first ever dad-daughter only ski trip.

Sponsor

Staff online