• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well Seven Springs was blowing snow today, and they're expecting a few inches of natural this week... so it's time for a Mid-Atlantic seasonal thread.

It's been a fantastic start to the season in the Rockies... the midwest is about to open in several places... maybe the Appalachians can get some of the same.

Will we see early December openings? Will Christmas break be good? I certainly hope so!

Bring it on!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I'll be at Whitetail, Massanutten, Liberty, or Roundtop for a day most weekends, unless I'm travelling. And I hope to make it to Blue Knob and/or Laurel. Where's everyone else skiing?

And don't forget the Mid-A Gathering being organized in western PA in this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/mid-atlantic-gathering-in-western-pa-feb-1-4-2019.12085/page-2

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a (wuz) Snow Time Advantage Card - but no CVR or T-Line Season Pass this year. So, I'll likely be at Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop 1 day most weekends also.

I've started a new job, so time off from work is at a premium this winter. I have two trips scheduled for out west - Utah over SB weekend and The Big Sky gathering. May try to sneak in CO in early April - if I can somehow swing LWOP.

Locally, likely 1-2 trips to western PA (BK and Laurel), may swing by Canaan Valley if the conditions are good, likely 1-2 trips to NEPA (Elk, Montage) and 1-2 trips to Snowshoe on the Ikon (early and late shoulder season most likely.) So, variety this winter.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For @JohnL and anyone else, I usually hit Whitetail on Fridays if at all possible to avoid the crowds.. I'll probably post here when I'm going. Always great to meet up with folks!

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I'll be at Laurel unless somebody here gives a shout out, place and time: T-line CVR, 7S, or BK. Drive right by Wisp every time I go to the Valley, haven't skied there since the early 80s. We are free most any day. Whitetail and Liberty a maybe. We choose to avoid the big places on weekends. The 'Shoe probably won't happen unless an impromptu gathering occurs. Ullr, we enjoin you. Please grant us your blessing so we may ski your glorious forest. Lay before us a carpet of white so we may find our soul, in silent slide, and touch your spiritual center. God of Winter, Ahmen!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
This weekend???!!!??? Lucky you... I'm waiting to hear about the southern PA places and I don't think it's been cold enough yet to think about.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^^^
This weekend???!!!??? Lucky you... I'm waiting to hear about the southern PA places and I don't think it's been cold enough yet to think about.

Have another look. There is a cold front pushing through with two separate rounds of wet and sloppies, starting tomorrow. LHC's stomping grounds might *just* be under the cold air blanket enough to form somewhat consistent cover.

#randosnowbladeswheeee

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Blue and Boulder. Camelback is not going for it yet. (unless something changed since Saturday night)

Blue is blowing snow, but I doubt that they will be able to hang on and open this weekend. We'll see how the storms push the warm and cold fronts through this week.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blue is blowing snow, but I doubt that they will be able to hang on and open this weekend. We'll see how the storms push the warm and cold fronts through this week.

That's why I think Camelback is holding off. They would love to be first (and have made some good snow making upgrades this summer) but are probably being wise holding off. Tuesday is suppose to be more wet then white in the Pocono's, maybe they start after that. I can tell you the hoses are hooked up to the guns.

Have only seen Thanksgiving skiing once in recent times, and would think that at least by the 8th skiing would pretty much be a sure thing so lets see what happens. If they can get open by the 1st I would be elated.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
7springs is laying it down pretty good from the looks of their fb feed. My sister was up at the condo this weekend and said they are blowing all the way over to Avalanche.

I got a text from my buddy the other day wondering if I was going to be home at the springs for thanksgiving. He thinks they will open this fri or Saturday. image.jpeg

Used to spend every thanksgiving up there growing up. Think it was 96 that was actually a pow day. Probably got 4-6in inches on top of frozen grass and man made mix from Tyrol over to Fawn lane. Still one of my most memorable pow days ever due to the stoke level. We were basically the only ones there and for a high school kid from PA that storm felt like a 3 footer ot here in Tahoe.

Guess I'll be bringing skis home for X-mas

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Guess I'll be bringing skis home for X-mas

I always take skis home to the 'Burgh for the Christmas holiday for the last 3 years I think. (That's how long I've owned my own skis.) And I've only used them one day! I actually have thought I might get over to Boyce Park for some quick turns/practice/drills, but haven't even gotten to do that. One of these years.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Canaan Valley Resort making snow today per their webcams. Since they had water capacity problems last winter, good idea to spread out snowmaking.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Canaan Valley Resort making snow today per their webcams. Since they had water capacity problems last winter, good idea to spread out snowmaking.

Are they spreading or whaling?

If they're spreading means the ground is probably* cold already. Somehow I didn't think we were there quite yet, not until after a few nights under the cold air mass.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are they spreading or whaling?

If they're spreading means the ground is probably* cold already. Somehow I didn't think we were there quite yet, not until after a few nights under the cold air mass.

Spreading out the snowmaking over time. Last year, there were several extended cold spells, but they had to stop snowmaking during some of those periods since they ran out of H20.