Mid-Atlantic Mid-Atlantic Conditions, Resorts, Meet-ups, and Stoke! 2018/2019

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by dbostedo, Nov 10, 2018.

1. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister--Big Sky Team Gathermeister

Well Seven Springs was blowing snow today, and they're expecting a few inches of natural this week... so it's time for a Mid-Atlantic seasonal thread.

It's been a fantastic start to the season in the Rockies... the midwest is about to open in several places... maybe the Appalachians can get some of the same.

Will we see early December openings? Will Christmas break be good? I certainly hope so!

Bring it on!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I'll be at Whitetail, Massanutten, Liberty, or Roundtop for a day most weekends, unless I'm travelling. And I hope to make it to Blue Knob and/or Laurel. Where's everyone else skiing?

And don't forget the Mid-A Gathering being organized in western PA in this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/mid-atlantic-gathering-in-western-pa-feb-1-4-2019.12085/page-2

Kcip and kitchener like this.
  2. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

December 1 and 2 are classically Snowshoe demo days. Getcher bottoms over.

I'd invite @dbostedo but he thinks MCP is a better deal than Ikon ;)

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    dbostedo

^^^
    Yep... I'm an Ikon hater. :eek: Clearly. :)

4. kitchener

kitchener Still At Large Skier

I wish either one of them benefited me in the Poconos

RuleMiHa likes this.
  5. JohnL

JohnL Getting off the lift Team Gathermeister

I have a (wuz) Snow Time Advantage Card - but no CVR or T-Line Season Pass this year. So, I'll likely be at Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop 1 day most weekends also.

I've started a new job, so time off from work is at a premium this winter. I have two trips scheduled for out west - Utah over SB weekend and The Big Sky gathering. May try to sneak in CO in early April - if I can somehow swing LWOP.

Locally, likely 1-2 trips to western PA (BK and Laurel), may swing by Canaan Valley if the conditions are good, likely 1-2 trips to NEPA (Elk, Montage) and 1-2 trips to Snowshoe on the Ikon (early and late shoulder season most likely.) So, variety this winter.

LaurelHillCraze likes this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    dbostedo

For @JohnL and anyone else, I usually hit Whitetail on Fridays if at all possible to avoid the crowds.. I'll probably post here when I'm going. Always great to meet up with folks!

7. JohnL

With new job, I'm mostly a Sat/Sun skier this season. Commercial work, so no Fed Gov AWS schedule for me. :nono:

8. LaurelHillCraze

LaurelHillCraze AKA Rob Davis Skier

I'll be at Laurel unless somebody here gives a shout out, place and time: T-line CVR, 7S, or BK. Drive right by Wisp every time I go to the Valley, haven't skied there since the early 80s. We are free most any day. Whitetail and Liberty a maybe. We choose to avoid the big places on weekends. The 'Shoe probably won't happen unless an impromptu gathering occurs. Ullr, we enjoin you. Please grant us your blessing so we may ski your glorious forest. Lay before us a carpet of white so we may find our soul, in silent slide, and touch your spiritual center. God of Winter, Ahmen!

9. Large Squirrel

Large Squirrel a.k.a. guitar73 Skier

for Eastern PA it's looking like the race to open is on between Camelback and Big Boulder! could be skiing this weekend :)

10. Thread Starter
    TS
    dbostedo

^^^
    This weekend???!!!??? Lucky you... I'm waiting to hear about the southern PA places and I don't think it's been cold enough yet to think about.

Large Squirrel likes this.
  11. 4aprice

4aprice Booting up Skier

Blue and Boulder. Camelback is not going for it yet. (unless something changed since Saturday night)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 10:15 AM
  12. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Have another look. There is a cold front pushing through with two separate rounds of wet and sloppies, starting tomorrow. LHC's stomping grounds might *just* be under the cold air blanket enough to form somewhat consistent cover.

#randosnowbladeswheeee

dbostedo and kitchener like this.
  13. Large Squirrel

Large Squirrel a.k.a. guitar73 Skier

Blue is blowing snow, but I doubt that they will be able to hang on and open this weekend. We'll see how the storms push the warm and cold fronts through this week.

14. 4aprice

4aprice Booting up Skier

That's why I think Camelback is holding off. They would love to be first (and have made some good snow making upgrades this summer) but are probably being wise holding off. Tuesday is suppose to be more wet then white in the Pocono's, maybe they start after that. I can tell you the hoses are hooked up to the guns.

Have only seen Thanksgiving skiing once in recent times, and would think that at least by the 8th skiing would pretty much be a sure thing so lets see what happens. If they can get open by the 1st I would be elated.

Willyum215 likes this.
  15. Eric267

Eric267 Gettin after it Skier

7springs is laying it down pretty good from the looks of their fb feed. My sister was up at the condo this weekend and said they are blowing all the way over to Avalanche.

I got a text from my buddy the other day wondering if I was going to be home at the springs for thanksgiving. He thinks they will open this fri or Saturday. image.jpeg

Used to spend every thanksgiving up there growing up. Think it was 96 that was actually a pow day. Probably got 4-6in inches on top of frozen grass and man made mix from Tyrol over to Fawn lane. Still one of my most memorable pow days ever due to the stoke level. We were basically the only ones there and for a high school kid from PA that storm felt like a 3 footer ot here in Tahoe.

Guess I'll be bringing skis home for X-mas

dbostedo, LaurelHillCraze and jimmy like this.
  16. LaurelHillCraze

LaurelHillCraze AKA Rob Davis Skier

I can see Fawn, Wagner, and Stowe opening this weekend depending what tonight brings in. Hope it's snow.

dbostedo and cantunamunch like this.
  17. Thread Starter
    TS
    dbostedo

I always take skis home to the 'Burgh for the Christmas holiday for the last 3 years I think. (That's how long I've owned my own skis.) And I've only used them one day! I actually have thought I might get over to Boyce Park for some quick turns/practice/drills, but haven't even gotten to do that. One of these years.

18. JohnL

Canaan Valley Resort making snow today per their webcams. Since they had water capacity problems last winter, good idea to spread out snowmaking.

19. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Are they spreading or whaling?

If they're spreading means the ground is probably* cold already. Somehow I didn't think we were there quite yet, not until after a few nights under the cold air mass.

20. JohnL

Spreading out the snowmaking over time. Last year, there were several extended cold spells, but they had to stop snowmaking during some of those periods since they ran out of H20.