• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't rob yourself of potentially OK and even enjoyable conditions. The temps are right at the snow/rain line and small quantities of rain act to gel up loose cover. The only reason to not go is if there is a large amount of rain due. Like on the 2 inches/hour scale of last year's monsoons.

I hear you and I won’t give up easy, especially in my season back on skis in a while. Hopefully the Wisp, 7 Springs and CV will hold up well into March.

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Pretty good morning at Whitetail today. If the snow had arrived two hours earlier it would have been great. As it was, about 2” of fresh at first chair and snowing fat flakes at 1”+ an hour. Fresh tracks to be found for about an hour and a half. Just too few trails there for the snow to fill back in. The snow started to set up around noon and precip transitioned to freezing drizzle. A solid 5-6 inches on the morning.

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Base coverage was fine, but just the problem of storm days at really small areas I guess. Not a lot of people on the mountain early, but enough that the tracks never got filled in before more people were skiing over the same lines, if that makes sense.

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Shout out to VA and MD DOT. Plows were out in force today.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Base coverage was fine, but just the problem of storm days at really small areas I guess. Not a lot of people on the mountain early, but enough that the tracks never got filled in before more people were skiing over the same lines, if that makes sense.
Ah, K. Yes I know exactly what you mean in this post; WT never really fills up tracks unless there is a brutally strong upslope wind, from the mixing bowl straight up Limelight.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Looking at the weather report for our scout troop trip to WinterPlace WV this weekend. We got poured on last year too. Whitewater skiing FTW!

• 5a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%
  • 6a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%
  • 7a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%
  • 8a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%
  • 9a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    38°
    100%
  • 10a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    37°
    100%
  • 11a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    38°
    100%
  • 12p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    38°
    100%
  • 1p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%
  • 2p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%
  • 3p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%
  • 4p
    BBaWvD.img

Rain Showers
    40°
    90%
  • 5p
    BBaWvD.img

Rain Showers
    40°
    90%
  • 6p
    BBaWvD.img

Rain Showers
    41°
    90%
  • 7p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    41°
    90%
  • 8p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    42°
    90%
  • 9p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    43°
    90%
  • 10p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    45°
    100%
  • 11p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    47°
    100%
Data from Foreca

OK how many of you would back out of the trip and just give up the $50 weekend deposit for the resort bunk house? Sunday isn't much better..

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would... but I'm not a scout troop that might be hearty enough to still ski and have fun in the rain. (Assuming that the type of scout troop you're dealing with...)

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Looking at the weather report for our scout troop trip to WinterPlace WV this weekend. We got poured on last year too. Whitewater skiing FTW!

• 5a
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    39°
    100%

• 11p
    BBaBrK.img

Rain
    47°
    100%
Data from Foreca

OK how many of you would back out of the trip and just give up the $50 weekend deposit for the resort bunk house? Sunday isn't much better..

I did quite a few Scout weekends at TL. Lousy conditions never seemed to "dampen" the boys' ability to have a good time. There's a lesson to be learned and or taught... no matter which decision you make.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Our troop has its day trip to WTG this Saturday but there is talk of cancellation due to the forecast.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's a photo late afternoon last year.. same place. I'm the only idiot who went back out after dinner. The rain actually let up for a little while under the lights. These scouts don't cancel anything due to rain hahaha..
27748043_1978722075476654_2532332887798468648_o.jpg

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wintergreen with the scouts was fun. Rain was very light/stopped between 4 and 8 PM when we were there. Managed a couple runs on highlands before they closed and found a couple runs nicely bumped up.

Saw the rain was heavier further south, I hope things were ok at Winterplace.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
WinterPlace was a huge success. We started the day with 6 scouts and 4 adults. It was POURING and I brought heavy duty trash bags. Started the day with 10 out on the mountain skiing in a couple smaller groups but met up for a few mob runs here and there. After lunch there was a 3 scout yard sale on a steeper blue. One scout went down and tumbled 200 feet past his gear. Scout #2 skied down and was stopping pick up the gear to bring it down to scout #1. Scout # 3 wipes out behind scout #2 and took him out. Other 2 tumble down about 100 feet. That's the downside of trash bags, make great belly whomping suits hahaha.. A few bumps and bruises, one called it a day a run after that. Another took a header off the trail and got some scrapes. 8 still skiing until the dinner break as the rain finally let up. Killer dinner at a local mom and pop Italian joint. Another dad and I went out for a few runs under the lights before returning all the rental gear. No rain after dark, just some fog. Good times!

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Scout ski trips are one of the great constant things about life. that picture you posted looked just like it could have been our troop - 15 years ago. They might be better with a little adversity.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
Looks like Snowshoe has set a closing date of March 24, based on what I am seeing with the Ikon pass stuff. That really bums me out--I was hoping to ski that week on my daughter's Spring Break. Any chance they push that back, for those in the know? Ugh.

(Glad I am going this Thursday-Friday. Looks like conditions should be good.)

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
Looks like Snowshoe has set a closing date of March 24, based on what I am seeing with the Ikon pass stuff. That really bums me out--I was hoping to ski that week on my daughter's Spring Break. Any chance they push that back, for those in the know? Ugh.

(Glad I am going this Thursday-Friday. Looks like conditions should be good.)

There was a letter shared with all the HOA Managers from the Prez at Snowshoe and she mentioned 3/24 with a caveat to extend if Mother Nature cooperates.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pretty nice 3 hours today at Wintergreen. Nice corn on several trails from about 10:30 until noon. The moguls on Outer Limits and Upper Cliffhanger softened up nicely by 10:30 or so as well. Coverage good, and with the colder temps forecasted next week I am sure WTG can make it well into March if they decide to take advantage of the colder temps and blow snow. Here's hoping.

Sponsor

Staff online