Mid-Atlantic Mid-Atlantic Conditions, Resorts, Meet-ups, and Stoke! 2018/2019

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by dbostedo, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

I skied Liberty tonight for a few hours. It was a little crowded early but it cleared out pretty quick especially on the back side. I was using the singles lines so I didn’t really wait long to load at any lift. It picked up it’s normal icy spots later on. Over all a pretty good night to ski.

dbostedo likes this.
  2. rocdoc

rocdoc Booting up Skier

I gather you weren't on the back side when the one working lift broke? A lot of us ended up having to hike up to the parking lot by the tubing area, and wait for the shuttle to take us back to the front. That really messed up my day... The first time I felt like Liberty dropped the ball, the resort is usually very nicely run. Accidents can happen, but having both lifts break down at the same time and have a ton of people stuck there is not a good thing. Other than that it was a nice day indeed! Hopefully the upcoming high temps won't damage our local hills for the rest of the winter.

kitchener likes this.
  3. Coach13

I definitely missed that. What time did that happen?

4. pause

pause Booting up Skier

Anyone ski Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop today and can post a conditions report?

Wondering how conditions are after this week’s high temps and rain. Thinking about skiing a half day on Sunday now that temps are cold and they are blowing snow again.

5. Coach13

I haven’t but a friend in mine skied Liberty on Friday evening. He said things were a little soft but everything was open with good coverage. After blowing snow all Friday night and tonight, I would think Sunday will be pretty good. I would expect Whitetail and Roundtop to be similar. I’m headed to WT or Liberty with a friend at some point tomorrow afternoon, I’m just not sure where yet.

6. scottyb

scottyb Getting on the lift Skier

Looks like we will be right on the snow/ice/rain line Sunday night into Tues.

Hoping for mostly cold temps.

May head to CVR for a WV resident $15 ticket on Wed and maybe down to the Shoe on Thursday.

7. wgo

wgo Putting on skis Skier

At SS this weekend, but will be heading out before the precip this evening. Hoping its snow for the folks who will be here Monday.

scottyb likes this.
  8. Coach13

I skied Liberty last night for a few hours. Coverage was good most places but starting to get thin. There were zero lines so it was a really good night to ski although the ride home in the snow was tough. Lots of accidents out there last night.

Condition wise, the natural snow last night and snow making temps should help some but I fear the warming weather and rain forecasted this week are going to put a real hurt on our local skiing in the DC area.

9. wgo

wgo Putting on skis Skier

Looks like SS was south of the rain/snow line. Bummer. I guess the PA resorts saw some snow?

10. Coach13

Liberty got a couple inches ladt night with 4-6 more in the forecast. I’d expect similar at Roundtop.

11. pause

pause Booting up Skier

I skied Whitetail on Sunday am. It recovered well from last week’s rain. Solid coverage and generally pretty good skiing after two nights of cold snow making. Hopefully they can repeat after this round of rain.

Pretty much no lift lines to speak of on the two quads. Runs were crowded at times though. Kind of weird to me, but I don’t have much experience around the Mid-A.

12. Kcip

Kcip Booting up Skier

Received this email today. I was told you can buy lift tickets at whitetail.

upload_2019-2-11_19-35-52.png

13. Coach13

To my understanding you pick up a voucher at the shop and then take the voucher and your $37 to the window at Whitetail for your ticket. If it’s an all day ticket that’s a pretty good deal. I sure hope they get a better day Friday than the 57 degrees and rain currently forecast.

14. Kcip

Kcip Booting up Skier

I called the shop before I saw the email and they said you could buy a ticket at the slope at their tent. Princeton Sports is also running a demo day on the same day at Whitetail.

Coach13 likes this.
  15. Coach13

We skied Liberty tonight starting around 4. Snow was soft and pretty good early. Not nearly as crowded as I expected. Things started freezing and firming up around 6/630 and by about 730/8 it was pretty tough skiing, almost frozen washboard like conditions. I’m not sure if it was due to the conditions, but ski patrol and local paramedics stayed really busy tonight.

16. scottyb

scottyb Getting on the lift Skier

SS holding up well, skied on Sat morning. Frozen hard but starting to soften up. Good trail coverage but also a bit crowded. Still well worth the trip.

Coach13 likes this.
  17. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

We'll be skiing at WinterPLACE WV Saturday the 23rd. Looks like rain all day according to the current forecast. We got rained on there last year as well. Got a bunkhouse across from the lodge for the scout troop paid for so we're there rain or not.

Coach13 likes this.
  18. Coach13

I hope I’m wrong but I’m guessing it will be an early golf season for me. 7-10 days of warm weather with rain forecasted coming up. Coverage is already thin so it will make things tough on Whitetail and Liberty.

19. Thread Starter
    TS
    dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator

I don't have a single day skiing in PA this season. :nono: Thankfully that's partly because of New England and western skiing, but it's also because the late start and rainy weekend have conspired against me.

20. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Don't rob yourself of potentially OK and even enjoyable conditions. The temps are right at the snow/rain line and small quantities of rain act to gel up loose cover. The only reason to not go is if there is a large amount of rain due. Like on the 2 inches/hour scale of last year's monsoons.

I know @dbostedo has umlaut skis that are just right for skiing skim-on-plate; I thought you did too.

dbostedo likes this.