• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LOOKING FOR Stockli Laser AX skis in a 175cm

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Even though the 85W has teeth, it is still silky and supple. The performance envelope is huge with out the kick in the a** that is normally associated with high performance ski.

Mamie hates stiff skis. She has been on many just to run with the boys (girls too). She finds the 85W to be smooth and precise without being brutal. As Mamie puts it - It's got class. :D

You will have a great time with them. I guarantee it.

@Ron and @KingGrump _ how would you compare the motion 85s to the Kaestle fx 85s? I love the fx 85 because they are so easy to turn, smooth, and playful. I bought these after @Tony S let me try his pair at whistler and fell in love immediately.
but last year I was feeling that maybe I need to start getting longer skis bc the 165s I currently have started to feel a little less stable, due to a combo of possible weight gain and going faster and on steeper stuff.

And how do they compare to the sr 88s?

About me: 150 lb give or take, 5’7”, upper intermediate/ lower advanced. Not sure if I can define my “style” of skiing yet .... playful, very into exploring the whole mountain and trying new things, I like speed on groomers.....still learning all the other stuff like bumps, have very little experience with actual powder....

Although I’m in the east, I ski more days in the west, perhaps I’d call north Tahoe my “home” region.

Other skis on the radar: kaestle fx 95, fx 85 in the 173, and I really liked the dynastar legend 96 the pugs let me demo last year.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The FX85 is a great ski BUT it was designed for more off-piste skiing. I loved it in the bumps but it was slow to engage and certainly less than precise. The Stockli is a totally different ski. It has the silky smooth, quiet, and stable feel that is highly addictive. the Motion 85 is far more precise and still is good in the bumps and off piste. A friend of mine ski's it and she loves hers (and she works at a ski shop) and our testers also raved about it.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@Pumba , @Ron I think Stöckli’s (I have the SR88, SR95 and SC) all do well off piste (bumps, crud to varying degrees)... but I wouldn’t say Stöckli is the most forgiving/ autopilot ride out there — there are certainly easier bump skis.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Ron and @KingGrump _ how would you compare the motion 85s to the Kaestle fx 85s? I love the fx 85 because they are so easy to turn, smooth, and playful. I bought these after @Tony S let me try his pair at whistler and fell in love immediately.
but last year I was feeling that maybe I need to start getting longer skis bc the 165s I currently have started to feel a little less stable, due to a combo of possible weight gain and going faster and on steeper stuff.

And how do they compare to the sr 88s?

About me: 150 lb give or take, 5’7”, upper intermediate/ lower advanced. Not sure if I can define my “style” of skiing yet .... playful, very into exploring the whole mountain and trying new things, I like speed on groomers.....still learning all the other stuff like bumps, have very little experience with actual powder....

Although I’m in the east, I ski more days in the west, perhaps I’d call north Tahoe my “home” region.

Other skis on the radar: kaestle fx 95, fx 85 in the 173, and I really liked the dynastar legend 96 the pugs let me demo last year.
Been tagging along here. @Pumba, you're ~ my size, I'm 5'6.5" 143 lbs. The 173cm FX 85/95 should be the correct size for us. The New 18/19 Stormrider Motion 85 maxes out at 168cm, not much of a jump from your 165cm skis, New 18/19 SR 88 168cm and 177cm. I don't know much about how long or short the new SR 85 and SR 88 ski, but f I were to demo them I'd start with the 177cm because I find 168cm rockered ski short for me in general.
If, when you demo/purchase lease keep us posted on your impressions wrt length. Thx.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
how would you compare the motion 85s to the Kaestle fx 85s?

At this point, for you, I would say the Motion 85W in a 168. It would give your technical a boost. The FX85 is a bit forgiving and more soft snow oriented. The Motion 85W is a much cleaner ski. Much better on the groom than the FX85. With the Motion 85W, you can kick your skiing up a notch. :yahoo:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
At this point, for you, I would say the Motion 85W in a 168. It would give your technical a boost. The FX85 is a bit forgiving and more soft snow oriented. The Motion 85W is a much cleaner ski. Much better on the groom than the FX85. With the Motion 85W, you can kick your skiing up a notch. :yahoo:

Ok, I’m almost in....now to find an “affordable” pair of 168s...

How much different are they from the sr 88s? In case u can find a better deal on those..,

Thanks all.

K

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How much different are they from the sr 88s? In case u can find a better deal on those..,

The SR88 would be too much ski for you at this point.
You can opt to ski the ski or ride the ski.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a motion 85 15/'16 new for $425. Pretty looking.
View attachment 61127
http://www.todaysedge.net/stockli-in-stock.html

Longshot- call Sports Odyssey in Ludlow. They used to sell Stockli but now have gone bottom feeding. They might have a demo left from 1-2 years ago.
@Pumba ....
Here is a great deal on a new old-stock SR85 in a 167. Pretty much the same ski as the new Motion 85.

FWIW....I ski the SR83 as my everyday ski, when I am not on my SL’s. The SR83 is very similar to the Motion 85, so I can attest to its smoothness and precision. It does help me with my technique while being friendly enough to explore everywhere in a lot of conditions.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The link by @James is a pair the Motion 85W in 167. Exactly the ski you are looking for. Great deal.
The Motion 85W is part of the Storm Rider series.

It's a really wonderful ski. Mamie is on her 2nd pair.
She pick it off the wall and paid for it before telling me. That's how much she liked the ski.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The link by @James is a pair the Motion 85W in 167. Exactly the ski you are looking for. Great deal.

She pick it off the wall and paid for it before telling me. That's how much she liked the ski.
You know her I don't so ok.
Personally, I could'nt go back to 168cm in this class of ski. That NOS '15/'16 SR Motion 85 was available in 175cm and I can't find the review but of two testers, both felt it was also a very good choice for lighter weight men. I had a difficult time passing on the 175cm Motion 85 when I found NOS for ~$350 on eBay, just wasn't in the market for something that narrow.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You know her I don't so ok.
Personally, I could'nt go back to 168cm in this class of ski. That NOS '15/'16 SR Motion 85 was available in 175cm and I can't find the review but of two testers, both felt it was also a very good choice for lighter weight men. I had a difficult time passing on the 175cm Motion 85 when I found NOS for ~$350 on eBay, just wasn't in the market for something that narrow.

Different skier, different preferences.

I have skier with @Pumba quite a bit. Both at W/B and Squaw/Alpine.
For her skiing style and where/what/how she wants to ski, the 168 will fill the slot pretty well.
In fact, for where/what I ski, I can use a Motion 85W 168 as a daily driver with no issues. I am short, old and fat but I am a wee bit stronger skier. There is a big top end on that ski.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Different skier, different preferences.

I have skier with @Pumba quite a bit. Both at W/B and Squaw/Alpine.
For her skiing style and where/what/how she wants to ski, the 168 will fill the slot pretty well.
In fact, for where/what I ski, I can use a Motion 85W 168 as a daily driver with no issues. I am short, old and fat but I am a wee bit stronger skier. There is a big top end on that ski.

So I guess the verdict is that I should buy it. I will, as long as it’s still available and as long as @KingGrump promises me that I will vastly improve once on them.

To be honest, I detest these “pretty” graphics. Floral overlay pattern ? barf!!!!

So, are these old models really not much different from th ‘19 version? Those graphics are much more my style, but I’m too poor for them.

K

James

Out There
Instructor
The graphics are very nice on that Stockli 85 motion. I'd ski it just for the looks.
I thought @surfsnowgirl bought it?

What length does Mamie ski? Not too much sidecut in that ski?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So I guess the verdict is that I should buy it. I will, as long as it’s still available and as long as @KingGrump promises me that I will vastly improve once on them.

To be honest, I detest these “pretty” graphics. Floral overlay pattern ? barf!!!!

So, are these old models really not much different from th ‘19 version? Those graphics are much more my style, but I’m too poor for them.

K

The only thing I can promise you is your skiing will still suck. Hopefully on a higher level. :D

That graphic looks much better on snow than the current top sheet. The current top sheet looks way too pastel like on snow.
Anyway, with your much kicked up skiing, no on will notice the graphic when you blow by. They will all be saying "Wow, what a skier." :roflmao::roflmao:
AFAIK, no change between those and the 2019.

The graphics are very nice on that Stockli 85 motion. I'd ski it just for the looks.
I thought @surfsnowgirl bought it?

What length does Mamie ski? Not too much sidecut in that ski?

@surfsnowgirl bought some other used pair with the same graphic. She loves them.

Mamie is on a 159. She is very happy with the ski.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love love love love my stormrider motions. I have the 2016 in a 167. Blown away by how fun and capable it is. Oodles of fun and holds a mean edge on hard pack too.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Let’s hope they are still available. I’ve emailed the vendor. If I get them, I plan on covering all those flowers.

My Initial intention was to expand my meager quiver of 2 to Include Something wider....if these skis come through, I’ll have 75, 85, and another 85!!! ... I hope they are that good!

Sponsor