• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LOOKING FOR Stockli Laser AX skis in a 175cm

James

Out There
Instructor
Does it really matter whether it's in front or behind the line? The line is only about 0.5 mm wide on the ski.
I know Mamie certainly can't tell the different on a 0.5 mm binding move. :cool:

Head into a Chinese grocery store in either Flushing or Sunset Park in NYC.
The experience will blow your mind. I took a ski buddy from Taos into one of them and his first remark was "Are we still in the US."
Yeah, Lebanon, NH has one too. Drove an hour last year looking for yard long beans, pho (?) noodles, fish sauce, rice vinegar etc. Couldn't read any of the labels, then after asking you have a choice of at least half a dozen fish sauces. In the end take out might have made more sense...

I thought only the ones in nyc would sell live crabs in a basket.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The experience will blow your mind. I took a ski buddy from Taos into one of them and his first remark was "Are we still in the US."
Same reaction from the white guys here on the west coast who like/love Asian food. They'll head into an Italian, Mexican, or even Persian market, but Asian .... hmmmm...

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does it really matter whether it's in front or behind the line? The line is only about 0.5 mm wide on the ski.
I know Mamie certainly can't tell the different on a 0.5 mm binding move. :cool:
-
Alright so Mamie can't tell the diff, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to SSG and Michael:decisions: ogwink

...your buddy try the Durian friut? :eek:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Couldn't read any of the labels, then after asking you have a choice of at least half a dozen fish sauces.

I can read enough Chinese to understand the labels. So I am good to go.

Fish sauce wise - Three Crab Brand. There are tons of knock offs and copy cats.
Mamie picked up a bottle at the Chinese grocery store and said, "look. these bottles of Three Crab brand fish sauce is a dollar cheaper than the one you have in the cart."
I told her, "Look at the label. Yours is actually two crab and a shrimp. Not the same." 'nuff said.

Alright so Mamie can't tell the diff, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to SSG and Michael:decisions: ogwink

Whether one can tell the difference between 0.25/0.5 mm binding movement definitely falls under the category of "If you have to ask..."

James

Out There
Instructor
Mamie picked up a bottle at the Chinese grocery store and said, "look. these bottles of Three Crab brand fish sauce is a dollar cheaper than the one you have in the cart."
I told her, "Look at the label. Yours is actually two crab and a shrimp. Not the same." 'nuff said.
This is why you go skiing with the Grumps.
You're going to learn to like moguls or there will be two crabs and a shrimp...

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Well! Three crabs in a dumpster?

I think I got Tiparos. Definitely thin like iced tea. I wondered about it's fish sauceness. Pretty sure I got Golden Boy Oyster sauce. Wasn't too impressive, but what do I know?

It's interesting that Worcestershire sauce is essentially fish sauce with vinegar and other stuff:
Lea and Perrins:
"Distilled white vinegar, anchovies, garlic, molasses, onions, salt, sugar, water, chili pepper extract, cloves, natural flavorings, tamarind extract"

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I see this has turned into a lively corner of the internet!
I guess it was never meant to be. The skis were sold over the weekend and they hadn't updated the webpage...wonk wonk.
But please continue your discussion about "2 Shrimps,1 Crab", fish sauces, asian supermarkets, etc.
I'm available for questions and advice on some items.

;):roflmao:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

images.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We spent about an hour shopping at an Asian supermarket in Albany on Christmas day after dropping the daughter at the airport. We were heading back to Killington, but needed the ingredients to make a Panang red curry (my favorite with crispy duck at our local Thai place in DE). Anyone ever hear of Red Boat fish sauce? It looked more "premium". Never did get to make that curry...

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Are those guys nuts. They have no idea what's going on. You do not just sit there and sip fish sauce straight from a shot glass.
Figure it take couple clueless gringos to pass judgement on an Asian condiment they know nothing about.
You suppose to cook with it. Not sit there and sip fish sauce on the rocks like an apertif.
The final judgement should be how it affects the flavor of the cooked dish not how it taste on the rocks.

Just like when people tell me they hate tofu. I always asked them did they get it at the salad bar. That is the usual place one would find tofu in an American restaurant. Upon confirmation, I would go into my usual rant about tofu.
"You guy are really barbarian. Eating that stuff raw. You are supposed to cook them first or you guys haven't invented fire yet? "
Now you know why I don't have many friends. :D

Fish sauce is for cooking. Like soy sauce. Cooking mellows and develops the flavor.
Chinese soy sauce is rarely consumed raw. When it is served raw, it is usually combined with other things to mellow and/or temper the taste. BTW, there are several different types of Chinese soy sauce. They are all very different and are used for different purposes. Janpanese soy sauce like Kikkoman is supposed to be consumed raw. It is much lighter in body and slightly acetic to compliment the sushi and raw fish.
Just don't get me started on the dark color flavor water packet that comes with Chinese take out. Definitely don't get me started on whether the usual Chinese take out is authentic Chinese food or not.

Oh, something just flash across my mind;s eye - Next gathering, fish sauce and shots ski. :doh: :beercheer:

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Only on pugski can we get from looking for sublime Swiss skis to fish sauce comparisons
Shouldn't that be sublime fish sauces?
I'm available for questions and advice on some items.
Which items?
We spent about an hour shopping at an Asian supermarket in Albany on Christmas day after dropping the daughter at the airport. We were heading back to Killington, but needed the ingredients to make a Panang red curry (my favorite with crispy duck at our local Thai place in DE). Anyone ever hear of Red Boat fish sauce? It looked more "premium". Never did get to make that curry...
That was #1 in the test @Tony S linked. Three crabs was rated terrible basically.
Pumba, post: 307140, member: 574"]Yeah, that’s what I got recently. It “artisanal” fish sauce. I’m pretty sure it was 10-15 dollars for the bottle and not something you see in actual Asian markets.....
That's why I was skeptical when I saw it a while ago in Sur la Table. I thought his price was way too low in the article. He priced the 250ml bottle but wrote 500 ml.

James

Out There
Instructor
The final judgement should be how it affects the flavor of the cooked dish not how it taste on the rocks.
But...but...it smelled like toe cheese...

I just looked, Grace Young in one of her wok cooking books lists Viet Huong Three Crabs as "a favorite brand".

Next gathering, fish sauce and shots ski.
Only if it's Red Boat!

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But...but...it smelled like toe cheese...

Not after it's cooked. Not supposed to smell at all. It's all in the taste.
You can ask @Lady_Salina . She skied with us at the Bird for over a month. What she said about the fish sauce was it would smell really bad from the bottle, but once it is cooked, there is no smell and does it tasted good.
BTW, fish sauce is more indigenous to Southeast Asia, like Vietnam and Thailand rather than China.
The Chinese adopted fish sauce in their cooking to provide a bit more complex flavor than what straight usage of salt can provide. Also to reduce the application of soy sauce. Sometime even light soy sauce can be overwhelming.
When cooking, I have a bunch of squeeze bottle of the following for quick seasoning: Light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, balsamic vinegar and dry sherry. Salt, pepper grinders (white and black), white sugar and brown sugar rounds things out.

Only if it's Red Boat!

You can bring the bottle. Be careful how you pack it in your checked luggage. If the bottle breaks, it is considered as hazmat. They may have to incinerate all the contaminated luggage and may be even junk the plane. Don' ask me how i know.