• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LOOKING FOR Stockli Laser AX skis in a 175cm

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does it really matter whether it's in front or behind the line? The line is only about 0.5 mm wide on the ski.
I know Mamie certainly can't tell the different on a 0.5 mm binding move. :cool:
-
Alright so Mamie can't tell the diff, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to SSG and Michael:decisions: ogwink
-
-
Whether one can tell the difference between 0.25/0.5 mm binding movement definitely falls under the category of "If you have to ask..."
...most definitely, for sure:D I believe behind the line would countervail that 0.25 deficitogwink :decisions:

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I see this has turned into a lively corner of the internet!
I guess it was never meant to be. The skis were sold over the weekend and they hadn't updated the webpage...wonk wonk.
But please continue your discussion about "2 Shrimps,1 Crab", fish sauces, asian supermarkets, etc.
I'm available for questions and advice on some items.

;):roflmao:
Where does Ranch99 fall in the Asian market rankings? That’s where I get my soy sauce. And when I feel like I’m in the wrong neighborhood I head to the candy row with all the 2 other white folk.
P.S. I love looking at all the fish in the tanks but to afraid to buy...

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where does Ranch99 fall in the Asian market rankings? That’s where I get my soy sauce. And when I feel like I’m in the wrong neighborhood I head to the candy row with all the 2 other white folk.
P.S. I love looking at all the fish in the tanks but to afraid to buy...

Like most things, "it depends" on what you are after and your reference point.

Assuming you are in SF South Bay, it's probably the reference point for Asian goods and you've lots of options...

For a Chinese market it's 10-20% more on produce, dry goods, and meats. But, it's usually the largest and has the most variety of like items. So, given their size, when something goes well, it can be really good. An example: fresh dungeoness crab is usually good because they have volume and turn over. Other items can sit around for a while.

Other smaller markets have better prices on produce, dry goods (like your candies and soy sauce), and might be less crowded, with emphasis on might. But, the smaller places may not have BBQ duck and dim sum deli that, I think, are lost leaders at 99 ranch.

Open the discussion to Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese markets... Things get complex but stays the same,. "it depends".

BTW thanks for not increasing the demand on the fresh fish :)

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Does it really matter whether it's in front or behind the line? The line is only about 0.5 mm wide on the ski.
I know Mamie certainly can't tell the different on a 0.5 mm binding move. :cool:

Head into a Chinese grocery store in either Flushing or Sunset Park in NYC.
The experience will blow your mind. I took a ski buddy from Taos into one of them and his first remark was "Are we still in the US."

I grew up in Douglaston, Queens. We used to ride our bikes to Main Street in Flushing as it had the only Head Shop we knew of. Not the same neighborhood as it was back in the 70's.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that’s what I got recently. It “artisanal” fish sauce. I’m pretty sure it was 10-15 dollars for the bottle and not something you see in actual Asian markets....

Say, I should get into this “exotic” products market....
Oh, it was an authentic cross-cultural Asian market. I mean, it was Christmas Day and the place was crowded with non-Caucasian shoppers. I forget the price, but it was the highest on the shelves. Now I really need to make that curry. They also carried the special Panang red curry paste, I've not seen that in my regular grocery stores.

As for Mexican and Hispanic markets, our area is loaded with them due to the mushroom farming in our area (year-round). I frequent them to get the ingredients to make Mexican and Tex-Mex food (I'm originally from Texas). Some of you may know that Kennett Square, PA is the historic Mushroom Capital of America, although other areas have surpassed it now in total production. The smell can knock you out when they air out the temperature-controlled houses, but my daughter says it smells like home.

Enjoy that Red Boat in Big Sky! I guess I'll be there in spirit.:roflmao:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I grew up in Douglaston, Queens. We used to ride our bikes to Main Street in Flushing as it had the only Head Shop we knew of. Not the same neighborhood as it was back in the 70's.

The biggest changes came after 9-11. Chinatown in lower Manhattan was closed south of Canal street, That drove a mass exodus of old time merchants from old Chinatown into the adjacent boros.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love Brooklyn’s Chinatown. They have some of the best markets and dim sum. I love taking out of towners for some dim sum followed by a tour of the aisles dedicated to fresh innards.

Hmmm, now I want dim sum.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
a tour of the aisles dedicated to fresh offal.

FIFY.

Offal sounds so much better. :cool:
It's the latest trend in protein for the celebrity chefs.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Back to topic I suppose or hell .:beercheer:
Fish oil works. Love to read the changes and choices that @surfsnowgirl makes thru out the year. As some other Puggers as well as I have spent some time skiing with her so we get just where she is at on her ski journey. As always any opinion on any ski is only as good as the reviewer. As a progressing skier trying to find her groove in the steeps i hope the SR’s are her key. With all the metrics being so fluid the outcome is up in the air. Someday I hope to add her to the quiver of excellent woman skiers that I get to follow.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Fish oil works. Love to read the changes and choices that @surfsnowgirl makes thru out the year. As some other Puggers as well as I have spent some time skiing with her so we get just where she is at on her ski journey. As always any opinion on any ski is only as good as the reviewer. As a progressing skier trying to find her groove in the steeps i hope the SR’s are her key. With all the metrics being so fluid the outcome is up in the air. Someday I hope to add her to the quiver of excellent woman skiers that I get to follow.

Thank you. Just sold my last planned pair of skis and things have settled down on the acquisition front. This year's bromley clinics were game changing. Plus my SRs are the current ski love of my life. I have a small active quiver which includes the SRs. I just wrapped up 2 days at copper in colorado. I went down some pretty steep stuff and thought of how mich you've helped me as I navigated down the trails with ease. My 92 underfoot Meier Big Nose Kates were the bell of the ball this trip. I skied with a bunch of ladies, they waited for me a lot less AND one of them complimented me on the nice turns she said I was making. Looking forward to skiiing with you in the spring at killington.

:beercheer:

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
They're heeeeeere

Dropping them off at the spa this afternoon so Rodger can get a 1:3 tune on them. Michael will take them to the eastern townships of Quebec over MLK weekend

He's stoked.
20190112_110609.jpg
20190112_110629.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pumba did you ever get your stockli motion 85?
If so, got a review? I've got a daughter that might need similar. She's 100# 5'3" solid intermediate (blue/blacks), brushes parallel turns well, not quite carving. Also, sometimes will follow her Dad into a mogul field. I'm worried that she might be a little under weight for these skis in 154/161.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pumba did you ever get your stockli motion 85?
If so, got a review? I've got a daughter that might need similar. She's 100# 5'3" solid intermediate (blue/blacks), brushes parallel turns well, not quite carving. Also, sometimes will follow her Dad into a mogul field. I'm worried that she might be a little under weight for these skis in 154/161.

At 100# and not carving fully yet. The Motion 85 will probably be too much ski. That ski likes to be on edge.
If you are looking at the premium skis. A last gen Kastle LX82 156 will be a better fit. Much softer and forgiving. Especially in the bumps.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 100# and not carving fully yet. The Motion 85 will probably be too much ski. That ski likes to be on edge.
If you are looking at the premium skis. A last gen Kastle LX82 156 will be a better fit. Much softer and forgiving. Especially in the bumps.

Just pulled the trigger on a demo 2017 156 lx 82.
Thanks for suggestion.

Sponsor

Staff online