• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Little Cottonwood Canyon 2018-2019, Reports, Pics, and Banter

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
There was a 8:55AM change in plans, we ended up going to Solitude instead and did run into @Gary Stolt and his clan.
I met Gary and his son at Alta on Saturday. He spotted the Pugski sticker on my skis and came and found me in the lodge :golfclap:. Unfortunately it was at the end of the day so we didn't get to ski together. I wish I could join everybody at the gathering this year but it won't fit into the budget or schedule. :(

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Snowbird managed to get the Cirque and Peruvian side open today. The traffic paid off we got to the top at 10:30 just as it opened. The low temps of the night before pulled the moisture out of the snow and what was once wind packed was fluffy.

We hit up Glens first run and it was stellar, not quite blower but it moved around you. Andersons was great as well but as you went lower you’d encounter a wind slabby patch now and then.

The day remained great but not much else opened. The winds built as the day went on and the visibility on Silver Fox and Upper Cirque lessened as a lot of snow was being transported by a wind that was trying to grab you.

987EADA7-EECA-4BCC-8F50-6FAA819030B0.png

5B3F50DC-074D-4DDD-BC25-2E9B603FD0D1.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Skipped yesterday to miss out on traffic and crowds. Went up a bit earlier today and still hit traffic at the chain up area, not too bad as it at least remained moving. Parked on the bypass and headed to the plaza, only to find the tram and Peruvian were to be delayed. Got down to Zoom in time to be fairly close to the head of the line, opening run was pleasant. Spun a few laps on Zoom and Wilbur before heading down to the plaza on a hunch. Played it right as we were one of the first 20 or so to line up for a soon opening tram. Great turns out the Cirque.

The lines were a bit harsh today but I’m learning to just roll with it. It’s currently snowing like mad at my house here in the valley. Not sure I’m going to be able to work tomorrow.

Shoveling out our spot while waiting for terrain to open.

78A47FD5-8C19-4CD0-A67B-FD8B8ABD4089.jpeg

Tower Three session.

EA88D9DE-C8C8-4B4E-A094-2A1BDA14A031.jpeg

LCC rental car knuckleheadedness.

4EEE685F-FE43-40A2-8212-48DED05C537A.jpeg

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
10 am, sitting in the room at The Cliff. Another 5" overnight but most of the lifts are closed for wind with only Chickadee, Wilbere and Baby Thunder spinning. And Peruvian has gone from "Pending" to "Closed" since the update at 9 am :(

Other than that, it's been an epic week.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Update to my post from Wednesday- We got out and started lapping Baby Thunder at about 11, which was kind of a funky good time, and would have probably sufficed. Better than sitting in the room, anyway. But then about 12:30 they opened Zoom and Gad 2 and we broke trail going out to Pearly Gates. First tracks there, and Mozzarella Bowl, and nearly everywhere we went because it was like we had a private resort. Because of the closures starting out the day, very few people ventured up from the valley. Every second or third Gad 2 chair went up empty. The Peruvian side never did open, but we sure didn't miss it.

Then Thursday was a typical powder frenzy of a day, but we still managed some very satisfactory runs off the tram. Our local color friend Bob took us down Protected One into Wilbere Bowl for a really epic run.

This morning we woke up to YET ANOTHER 6" of snow and everything was open soon after 9. Light snow was ongoing, but with high winds we got free refills everywhere we went. The snow was an unusual texture- like skiing on beach sand. We ripped high speed hero turns down Primrose, Middle Cirque (3 times!) and under the Little Cloud chair, each time as if no one had been there before us. My friend Jeff is coming up on 60 days so far and he says that in this epic season of epic seasons, this was the best day yet. Below is a shot looking back up at my tracks on Middle Cirque. At 1 PM!

A42D0F39-760E-4BF8-96A0-C37F7C1F5680.jpeg

After snapping that shot I had to tear myself away for my flight. But I'll be back the first week of March!

Attachments

• 6C7E8A09-C780-4436-8747-31FBD8AEDE3F.jpeg
    6C7E8A09-C780-4436-8747-31FBD8AEDE3F.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Update to my post from Wednesday- We got out and started lapping Baby Thunder at about 11, which was kind of a funky good time, and would have probably sufficed. Better than sitting in the room, anyway. But then about 12:30 they opened Zoom and Gad 2 and we broke trail going out to Pearly Gates. First tracks there, and Mozzarella Bowl, and nearly everywhere we went because it was like we had a private resort. Because of the closures starting out the day, very few people ventured up from the valley. Every second or third Gad 2 chair went up empty. The Peruvian side never did open, but we sure didn't miss it....

I skied Wednesday afternoon at Alta, and had similar experience. It wasn't super duper deep or anything, but snowing and creamy and absolutely empty. Yes, only three lifts were open, but did a bunch (4 hr worth) of High T laps to Eagle's Nest and Gunsight/High Greeley, and it was refreshed each time. And no bro scene whatsoever. So. Much. Fun.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
My yard had finally melted off earlier today...

E655328E-0F7F-4D33-AA1F-6C8C9F357BC3.jpeg

The snow globe has been shaken again, it’ll be another slog up the canyon tomorrow. But, it’s so gonna be worth it!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Wow, what a day! I woke up at 5:30 this morning to check the road status and was surprised to find no closure. I briefly contemplated going back to bed but knowing any sleep from then on would be in 15 minute increments I decided to get up for good. (It sucks getting old.)

I left the house in the dark and encountered blowing snow on the East side of the valley. No traffic was encountered at that time of the morning, visibility was poor on the drive up the canyon. There was no officer stationed up either, the 4x4 light was lit and the road was a bitnsnow packed in the upper reaches. I tried to park on the bypass but in the dark I couldn’t get a good handle on the lines, even after getting out of the car and kicking around the snow. Ended up in the pond lot, Bubba wasn’t there yet and I was first car next to the hut.

The tram line was minimal at that point, Travis and a few others. They actually let us in the building 10 minutes early at 8:20, at that time the line was pretty large. Being there early paid off when they only let 50 people on first tram. (Didn’t see any early ups today.). The snow at tower three is coming very close to the blue tram, they didn’t want much weight in the first one to see how close it came to the dent the four guys up there shoveling were putting in it.

Once on board Travis tried to convince me to hang out up top and wait for the Cirque. I was having none of that and aquiesed to a quick pee stop up top and then a Little Cloud bowl. We found over the knee goodness, faceshots on any hard turn, acceleration in between. Originally we’d planned on heading to Gad2 but seeing nobody head down towards the Goblin area we opted to indulge on the untracked and hit up Little Cloud for a ride. Another lap of untracked and another swing through Goblin Gully.

At that point I was happy with the day and didn’t mind any lines we waited in. We spun a few laps and headed up the tram to find Baldy open, hadn’t been up there this season and it was a good idea to make today be the one. Deep...

Mineral opened and the frontside became a ghost town, I was happy to have gotten mine and called it a day after a few more laps.

Report looked good...

7B7D9ED2-C3F0-4707-B37B-6DA4511FB7EA.jpeg

Driving up in the dark. (Getting up early is getting earlier and earlier every year.)

118B05A5-5466-4A99-ABC3-383031E08120.jpeg

First tram!

39F01A8E-44E0-46DC-8FFE-7CD0B2EE61E8.jpeg

Little Cloud bowl bad vis morning, just good enough to see tracks.

E1F250F6-A062-47CD-AF89-F087F4A6CB0D.jpeg

Yeah, it sucked.

E8BC9C0C-DC05-4C54-B8B6-FCBB3CE173D2.jpeg

087EE23E-F2D3-4F5D-AE4A-7CD36EBC105B.jpeg

Attachments

• E3D103AE-250B-4170-A69E-53645840F57D.jpeg
    E3D103AE-250B-4170-A69E-53645840F57D.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
It appears there was a fire at one of the complex off bypass road this evening. Lots of trucks and such. Hope everyone walked away unscathed.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Another busy weekend. Being as no new snow I slept in and got a late start both weekend days. This ensured I hit pretty stiff traffic each morning, my normal half hour commute was an hour. Today I let Google tell me which way to go and it had me get off at 2000e and take Highland to 9400s, I didn’t hit any traffic till I hit Wasatch blvd. It seemed to work better today as looking over it looked like 210 was stacked up a ways back.

Snowbird was road parked entry one to entry four both weekend days. The lift lines weren’t too bad as everything is open and the crowds were spread around, although there was a bit of a Zoom line at times yesterday as it was Subaru Winterfest this weekend and they had some activities based down there. It stayed pretty cold yesterday and the snow is still in good shape, today was a bit warmer.

Yesterday they had G Love and Special Sauce playing in the tram plaza from 3:00-4:30. We stayed late and listened from the bypass, I brought my propane portable campfire and it came in handy as it got quite cold. We ended up staying till 5:30 and the road was still a bumper to bumper snake at that time. Today I left earlier to avoid the traffic.

One from last Sunday, be careful on the bypass, don’t get too close to the edge.

97FA2A33-56FC-4254-87ED-241D9890B7A6.jpeg

Morning traffic

005A8CF0-DAAB-401E-9330-8F1C6E2FADBC.jpeg

Campfire on the bypass

F9BE8367-CD03-494C-BDA7-8E5F0B5C3264.jpeg

Need big mittens for chilly wine drinking

0FBBC858-9E75-4818-8043-BEDA913D64FC.jpeg

Standstill on the bypass at 5:30

7BAE9546-CA50-49BD-B65A-2F42B6396873.jpeg

Couple snaps from today from the Cirque

5AB2E940-0995-4F4E-8550-8A0117BE3DAA.jpeg

89A04196-DE46-448C-A768-A8B074557B11.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It appears there was a fire at one of the complex off bypass road this evening. Lots of trucks and such. Hope everyone walked away unscathed.

When I pulled up on the bypass last Sunday I thought there was something wrong with my car before I realized the smell was from the fire.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be there 3/8-3/13 if anyone is going to be around. Salivating every day here at work.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow! What an unbelievably great day of skiing @TheMothership. Absolutely no traffic or liftlines, walk on trams. About 3" dropped in MB(upper only) overnight and we made the right decision to get first dibs on that. Almost the entire mtn skied perfectly. Only a few south facing pitches were crusted up by the sun. Little Cloud was a dream. Even though it hadn't snowed for a week, the moguls hadn't built up, the entire bowl was perfect for blasting down. I "thought" i had two good days of skiing at Brighton and Solitude, but no doubt, Snowbird rules the roost.

In the afternoon on ,return to MB Path to Paradise traverse we had to climb over about 3 feet of avalanche debris! It completely blocked the cat track and would've knocked some unsuspecting skier right into the bowl.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds like a fabulous day and I am sure you ripped up Snow Bird.

A bit of a ripper Talisman (who is in my rolodex as "best guide for Big Sky"). I got my turns and bumps in for sure.

Thing is I had to lead my best long time skiing buddy who has Alzheimers. That's a hoot, but we still got in 33K feet, with 4:30 last lower lift.
Let him lead, not a good idea, because even though he's a very experienced SLC skier, he has no real idea where he is going. Thankfully the crowds were thin so he followed me around pretty good, but I had to keep looking back at the intersections. If he can make it next year I'll have to get a cycling mirror for my helmet.

Just got back and have lots of thoughts on this skiing life (trips only) for so many years. It's worth the trouble. A while back I was XC skiing with some guys who were dissing on downhill, how XC is so much better because you don't have to deal with all the "....". Yes, there is a lot of little pieces to this deal, and what a PITA it is getting it together to get on the hill. No Doubt! But, OTOH, there is absolutely nothing in life that measures up to a good day of skiing at a good mtn with the right conditions and the right people to share it with. (sorry pals, I have many more days of xc>downhill, but there is no comparison) It's the "pure life" if you can get it right, and the chase doesn't always result in success.

Sponsor

Staff online