Utah Little Cottonwood Canyon 2018-2019, Reports, Pics, and Banter

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by BobMc, Nov 11, 2018.

1. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

Nice!

2. bbinder

bbinder Out on the slopes Skier

If you found what is left of my knees, please bring them to Big Sky for me

Phelmut, John Webb and dbostedo like this.
  3. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

There was a 8:55AM change in plans, we ended up going to Solitude instead and did run into @Gary Stolt and his clan.

Phelmut, Ogg and dbostedo like this.
  4. Ogg

Ogg Getting off the lift Skier

I met Gary and his son at Alta on Saturday. He spotted the Pugski sticker on my skis and came and found me in the lodge :golfclap:. Unfortunately it was at the end of the day so we didn't get to ski together. I wish I could join everybody at the gathering this year but it won't fit into the budget or schedule. :(

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    BobMc

BobMc In line for the tram Skier

Snowbird managed to get the Cirque and Peruvian side open today. The traffic paid off we got to the top at 10:30 just as it opened. The low temps of the night before pulled the moisture out of the snow and what was once wind packed was fluffy.

We hit up Glens first run and it was stellar, not quite blower but it moved around you. Andersons was great as well but as you went lower you’d encounter a wind slabby patch now and then.

The day remained great but not much else opened. The winds built as the day went on and the visibility on Silver Fox and Upper Cirque lessened as a lot of snow was being transported by a wind that was trying to grab you.

987EADA7-EECA-4BCC-8F50-6FAA819030B0.png

5B3F50DC-074D-4DDD-BC25-2E9B603FD0D1.jpeg

blackke17, Jim Kenney, New2 and 5 others like this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    BobMc

Skipped yesterday to miss out on traffic and crowds. Went up a bit earlier today and still hit traffic at the chain up area, not too bad as it at least remained moving. Parked on the bypass and headed to the plaza, only to find the tram and Peruvian were to be delayed. Got down to Zoom in time to be fairly close to the head of the line, opening run was pleasant. Spun a few laps on Zoom and Wilbur before heading down to the plaza on a hunch. Played it right as we were one of the first 20 or so to line up for a soon opening tram. Great turns out the Cirque.

The lines were a bit harsh today but I’m learning to just roll with it. It’s currently snowing like mad at my house here in the valley. Not sure I’m going to be able to work tomorrow.

Shoveling out our spot while waiting for terrain to open.

78A47FD5-8C19-4CD0-A67B-FD8B8ABD4089.jpeg

Tower Three session.

EA88D9DE-C8C8-4B4E-A094-2A1BDA14A031.jpeg

LCC rental car knuckleheadedness.

4EEE685F-FE43-40A2-8212-48DED05C537A.jpeg

New2 likes this.
  7. cosmoliu

cosmoliu Getting off the lift Skier

10 am, sitting in the room at The Cliff. Another 5" overnight but most of the lifts are closed for wind with only Chickadee, Wilbere and Baby Thunder spinning. And Peruvian has gone from "Pending" to "Closed" since the update at 9 am :(

Other than that, it's been an epic week.

Jim Kenney, BobMc and AmyPJ like this.
  8. Thread Starter
    TS
    BobMc

Snowbird has their new app out, R.I.D.E. Hopefully it cuts down on canyon traffic. Word is they're going to use it for a bit and work out any kinks and then Alta will begin using it.

https://www.snowbird.com/ride/

cosmoliu likes this.
  9. cosmoliu

cosmoliu Getting off the lift Skier

Update to my post from Wednesday- We got out and started lapping Baby Thunder at about 11, which was kind of a funky good time, and would have probably sufficed. Better than sitting in the room, anyway. But then about 12:30 they opened Zoom and Gad 2 and we broke trail going out to Pearly Gates. First tracks there, and Mozzarella Bowl, and nearly everywhere we went because it was like we had a private resort. Because of the closures starting out the day, very few people ventured up from the valley. Every second or third Gad 2 chair went up empty. The Peruvian side never did open, but we sure didn't miss it.

Then Thursday was a typical powder frenzy of a day, but we still managed some very satisfactory runs off the tram. Our local color friend Bob took us down Protected One into Wilbere Bowl for a really epic run.

This morning we woke up to YET ANOTHER 6" of snow and everything was open soon after 9. Light snow was ongoing, but with high winds we got free refills everywhere we went. The snow was an unusual texture- like skiing on beach sand. We ripped high speed hero turns down Primrose, Middle Cirque (3 times!) and under the Little Cloud chair, each time as if no one had been there before us. My friend Jeff is coming up on 60 days so far and he says that in this epic season of epic seasons, this was the best day yet. Below is a shot looking back up at my tracks on Middle Cirque. At 1 PM!

A42D0F39-760E-4BF8-96A0-C37F7C1F5680.jpeg

After snapping that shot I had to tear myself away for my flight. But I'll be back the first week of March!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    AmyPJ, BobMc and SBrown like this.
  10. SBrown

SBrown Steve Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I skied Wednesday afternoon at Alta, and had similar experience. It wasn't super duper deep or anything, but snowing and creamy and absolutely empty. Yes, only three lifts were open, but did a bunch (4 hr worth) of High T laps to Eagle's Nest and Gunsight/High Greeley, and it was refreshed each time. And no bro scene whatsoever. So. Much. Fun.

Ken_R, AmyPJ, cosmoliu and 1 other person like this.
  11. Thread Starter
    TS
    BobMc

My yard had finally melted off earlier today...

E655328E-0F7F-4D33-AA1F-6C8C9F357BC3.jpeg

The snow globe has been shaken again, it’ll be another slog up the canyon tomorrow. But, it’s so gonna be worth it!

cosmoliu likes this.
  12. Thread Starter
    TS
    BobMc

Wow, what a day! I woke up at 5:30 this morning to check the road status and was surprised to find no closure. I briefly contemplated going back to bed but knowing any sleep from then on would be in 15 minute increments I decided to get up for good. (It sucks getting old.)

I left the house in the dark and encountered blowing snow on the East side of the valley. No traffic was encountered at that time of the morning, visibility was poor on the drive up the canyon. There was no officer stationed up either, the 4x4 light was lit and the road was a bitnsnow packed in the upper reaches. I tried to park on the bypass but in the dark I couldn’t get a good handle on the lines, even after getting out of the car and kicking around the snow. Ended up in the pond lot, Bubba wasn’t there yet and I was first car next to the hut.

The tram line was minimal at that point, Travis and a few others. They actually let us in the building 10 minutes early at 8:20, at that time the line was pretty large. Being there early paid off when they only let 50 people on first tram. (Didn’t see any early ups today.). The snow at tower three is coming very close to the blue tram, they didn’t want much weight in the first one to see how close it came to the dent the four guys up there shoveling were putting in it.

Once on board Travis tried to convince me to hang out up top and wait for the Cirque. I was having none of that and aquiesed to a quick pee stop up top and then a Little Cloud bowl. We found over the knee goodness, faceshots on any hard turn, acceleration in between. Originally we’d planned on heading to Gad2 but seeing nobody head down towards the Goblin area we opted to indulge on the untracked and hit up Little Cloud for a ride. Another lap of untracked and another swing through Goblin Gully.

At that point I was happy with the day and didn’t mind any lines we waited in. We spun a few laps and headed up the tram to find Baldy open, hadn’t been up there this season and it was a good idea to make today be the one. Deep...

Mineral opened and the frontside became a ghost town, I was happy to have gotten mine and called it a day after a few more laps.

Report looked good...

7B7D9ED2-C3F0-4707-B37B-6DA4511FB7EA.jpeg

Driving up in the dark. (Getting up early is getting earlier and earlier every year.)

118B05A5-5466-4A99-ABC3-383031E08120.jpeg

First tram!

39F01A8E-44E0-46DC-8FFE-7CD0B2EE61E8.jpeg

Little Cloud bowl bad vis morning, just good enough to see tracks.

E1F250F6-A062-47CD-AF89-F087F4A6CB0D.jpeg

Yeah, it sucked.

E8BC9C0C-DC05-4C54-B8B6-FCBB3CE173D2.jpeg

087EE23E-F2D3-4F5D-AE4A-7CD36EBC105B.jpeg

Attached Files:

Brad J, Brian Likes Pow, Kyle and 3 others like this.
  13. Brian Likes Pow

Brian Likes Pow Out on the slopes Skier

It appears there was a fire at one of the complex off bypass road this evening. Lots of trucks and such. Hope everyone walked away unscathed.